Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Received delivery twice?

Options
  • 24-05-2006 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hey! Dell and I have a chequered past - I ordered a laptop, due to a mutual misunderstanding, the order was cancelled and reraised. Eventually the laptop arrived, then a week and a half later it arrived again. I've been in contact with them numerous times to get this thing shipped back to them, but it is almost like they don't want it, I can't get them to arrange collection. What are my rights? Please say to keep it ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

check your credit card, if you paid for the laptop with one, they have probably charged you twice. I know this happened to a guy I know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

check your credit card, if you paid for the laptop with one, they have probably charged you twice. I know this happened to a guy I know

It was paid for by cheque. The did issue two invoices because of the initial problem (invoice for first order was out before 2nd had to be raised), but they're not chasing it the way they normally would.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Quackles wrote:
    Hey! Dell and I have a chequered past - I ordered a laptop, due to a mutual misunderstanding, the order was cancelled and reraised. Eventually the laptop arrived, then a week and a half later it arrived again. I've been in contact with them numerous times to get this thing shipped back to them, but it is almost like they don't want it, I can't get them to arrange collection. What are my rights? Please say to keep it ;)

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA16Y1980S47.html

47.—(1) Where—

( a ) unsolicited goods are sent to a person with a view to his acquiring them and are received by him, and

( b ) the recipient has neither agreed to acquire nor agreed to return them,

and either—

(i) during the period of six months following the date of receipt of the goods the sender did not take possession of them and the recipient did not unreasonably refuse to permit the sender to do so, or

(ii) not less than 30 days before the expiration of that period the recipient gave notice to the sender and during the following 30 days the sender did not take possession of the goods and the recipient did not unreasonably refuse to permit the sender to do so,

then the recipient may treat the goods as if they were an unconditional gift to him and any right of the sender to the goods shall be extinguished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Wow a free laptop!

Only joking. My guess would be to call customer services, get the details of the courier / delivery company they use and then arrange a collection charged to their account with the courier.

Or you could keep it of course and hope for the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Yeah they have 6 months to collect it just tell them you will leave it in the front garden for them and see how quick they have sombody out for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If you paid by cheque and you've made an effort to get them to inform them of it and had no luck with them collecting it then enjoy your freebie. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If you have told them about it then its their problem now and I wouldn't bother contacting them again. I would put it behind the sofa and if nobody comes near you in the next couple of months then happy days

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you a record of telling them a about it? an Email with a read receipt maybe?

Just in case......

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

hi this is mr. dell, i can collect my laptop of you later in the week, i'll pm you my details :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I know of two cases where similar has happened - in each case, Dell came looking for the machine (In one case, 4 months later).
    Give them a call to collect it or send a registered letter giving them a definite, but reasonable deadline to sort it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Send a registered letter to them giving them 6 months from the day you received it to collect it. Do nothing else, its yours after 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

I know a guy who ordered a high spec PC from Dell a while back. When they emailed him the spec sheet he realised they had gotten the specs of the hard drive wrong. He rang them back to tell them. After much hounding he got them to send out a second computer with the correct specs.

Thing is the first computer had already been sent and he ended up with two Dells. I have heard of other times where people got to keep extra printers and monitors. Apparently it may have been Dell policy at the time to just write these items off because it wasn't worth the trouble of retrieving them again. This has probably changed since they started using the outlet shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I bid €50

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

€51 :p ,

What I would do is send them a letter explaining everything and tell them if they do not get back to you within 10 days you are going to give it to a Charity so they can do with it as they wish.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Dub13 wrote:
    €51 :p ,

What I would do is send them a letter explaining everything and tell them if they do not get back to you within 10 days you are going to give it to a Charity so they can do with it as they wish.

Is lying not worse than stealing?:) I wonder do Dell give rewards?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Use the law to your advantage. Don't bother contacting them again. Set a reminder (on your phone or in email or something) to send them a letter 5 months after the day you received the laptop. If they don't collect it within the 30 days after, hold onto it, it's yours.

Until the six months is up, you cannot open, use, give away or sell the laptop. It's not your property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Just make sure they didn't bill you for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Believe me this will effect someones revenue and someone will have to sign off on it.

As you said a mutal understanding caused 2 systems to be raised. As it was a cheque order customer care would have had to raise a free issue for you to recieve your computer because they wouldnt be able to get this order credit cleared on the cheque you sent originally because that was used against the original order.

Im sure you will be contacted and then your laptop gets to go to the outlet store

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I've contacted my account manager again, he said he'll send someone to pick it up. Just to clarify things, I've not been using it, it is locked away in our accounts dept at all times, and will remain there until it is picked up. No sign of them yet, though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

bassically it is your in like a couple of week because you rang them tried to return it. The law states that its your because you made a reasonable effort, lucky guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

A request would have been sent to customercare for them to arrange for it to be picked up this can take a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

Its yours in 30 after you wrote to them or 6 months if you dont.

Advertisement