Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sander query

Options
  • 24-05-2006 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I'm after buying a house and one of the rooms has a rough effect paint on all walls. I need to repaint the room due to some other work that's being done including the sealing up of a double door and removing of shelves. Anyone I've asked is recommending that I give the walls a light sanding first off to level them so I've decided to get a sander and plough ahead.

My question is which type of sander would be the best for this type of work?

Also how fine a grade of sandpaper should I use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

TKK wrote:
    I'm after buying a house and one of the rooms has a rough effect paint on all walls. I need to repaint the room due to some other work that's being done including the sealing up of a double door and removing of shelves. Anyone I've asked is recommending that I give the walls a light sanding first off to level them so I've decided to get a sander and plough ahead.

My question is which type of sander would be the best for this type of work?

Also how fine a grade of sandpaper should I use?
    When you say a "rough effect" paint on the wall, is it like a suede effect?

If so, this is the Suede Effect paint that Crown sell. if its that, they are small grains of sand in that paint. I have it on one of my bedrooms and the wife also wants rid but I haven't thought about removing it. It seems to be very fine grains of sand that over time I think will get covered by 3-4 coats of paint. Don't want to think about going down the sander route.

If you do decide I'd start with something like grade 40 or 60 and then move to 120 or even 180 to finish it off. A B&D DIY sander for about €40 should do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Had a similar problem. Got a sander in McQuillans in Blanchardstown for €12...did a grand job.
    Wont expect it to last forever or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

Lex Luthor wrote:
    When you say a "rough effect" paint on the wall, is it like a suede effect?

If so, this is the Suede Effect paint that Crown sell. if its that, they are small grains of sand in that paint. I have it on one of my bedrooms and the wife also wants rid but I haven't thought about removing it. It seems to be very fine grains of sand that over time I think will get covered by 3-4 coats of paint. Don't want to think about going down the sander route.

If you do decide I'd start with something like grade 40 or 60 and then move to 120 or even 180 to finish it off. A B&D DIY sander for about €40 should do the trick.

Yep afaik that's the stuff. It has to go.

Should I go for a belt or an orbital sander?

TKK wrote:
    Should I go for a belt or an orbital sander?
    belt sanders are more expensive and probably not needed for a job like this. Plus they are harder to control.

B&D do a 3-in-1 type

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Use an orbital sander if you can. A belt sander will have your arms falling off after half an hours use. It's also much more likely to mark the wall if you're not careful.

Occidental wrote:
    Use an orbital sander if you can. A belt sander will have your arms falling off after half an hours use. It's also much more likely to mark the wall if you're not careful.

I kinda figured that it would be easier to mark the walls with the belt sander. I doubt very much that I'd have any problems with using it as I'm well used to physical work ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

TKK wrote:
    I kinda figured that it would be easier to mark the walls with the belt sander. I doubt very much that I'd have any problems with using it as I'm well used to physical work ;)

I've just spend the last few weeks sanding a timber porch. Vertical and upside down surfaces with a belt sander are not fun.

Occidental wrote:
    I've just spend the last few weeks sanding a timber porch. Vertical and upside down surfaces with a belt sander are not fun.
    I'd have to agree....vertical sanding with a belt sander is torture.

Go for an orbital or vibrating type.

Right so an orbital sander it is then. That's kinda what I was thinking of getting initially anyway. Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement