Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanet: Wireless router suggestions?

• 24-05-2006 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

Hey there, I *should* be getting Permanet broadband as they claim they're going to be providing their service in my area in the coming months (something they've been saying since February, but hey) and I'd like to get a potential molehill out of the way, the router situation. I've read on here though that when they install, they don't provide a router, leaving you with a bare modem (i.e. only one connection to one computer) which isn't suitable for my situation as there's going to be at least three people in my house who'll be wanting to share the connection we're getting (the 3mb service) amongst two PC's, an iBook and a 360.

Has anyone who already has the Permanet service in their house got a wireless router up and running well with it?, I dread having to ask for suggestions from their customer support and would put far more faith in what you guys would suggest. What'd be great if you could give me the model/make of the router, it's not essential that it be a wireless model, it'd just be slightly handier. Thanks, any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Dlink, Netgear, Linksys.

make sure an Ethernet port for WAN not an ADSL port. Both kinds of boxes exist.

About 120 Euro for 4 Ethernet ports & 108Mbps MIMO wiFi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Thanks Watty, but I was hoping for a more specific model that's guaranteed to work from the start with Permanet. The reason I say this is because when I used to live in Carlow town and had Digiweb wireless, for reasons best known to Digiweb themselves, a whole rake of routers were incompatible with the service and the only one that worked was this poxy D-Link (non wireless) one they supplied me, thinking I was clever I went out and bought the wireless version (identical in every way except it also had wireless capabilities) of the router they supplied me and even after I entered all the same settings and protocols (identical to the settings on the router they supplied), it didn't work, I went through a U.S. Robotics router, Linksys.. you get the idea, it's not due to a lack of competence on my part, I'm an I.T. graduate and would rate myself as being pretty decent at networking.

When I eventually get BB this time around I'm really, really not in the mood to have to go through all that again so I'm hoping someone who has the Permanet service can just tell me the exact router they have that works :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

I have Permanet, and i use a Linksys WRT54G . I have the ethernet from the Permanet router connected into the Internet port on the Linksys ...then i have a wired connection between my main pc and the Linksys router and then use the wireless option for a laptop around the house.. works very well with no issues.

I just did the normal security checks on the Linksys .. for wireless just enabled the encryption and added a MAC filter but that was pretty much it ...also have my XBOX360 running throughout ...no probelms at all .

I would advise that if you do go for a Linksys WRT54G router ..try not to get a version 5 ..as these seem to be a bit more buggy ..there is plenty more info here on Linksys http://www.linksysinfo.org/

Advertisement