Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Palace accept Johnson bid from Wigan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

jesus thats serious money wigans putting up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Simon Jordon's a twat(read his interview in this months 442) though, Dowie will probably be leaving as well. It musta hurt AJ to not make the WC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

£8.5million for Johnson is a joke, when you consider that a true international quality player like Tomas Rosicky went for £7million. He wasn't even the top scorer in the Championship The English tabloids will still give the likes of Wenger stick for signing 'foreign' players, but with prices like that, who can blame him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

It probably is a good buy for Wigan, though they do have some decent strikers already. 8.5 million is crazy money, but he is premiership class, so he had to get out of Palace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

zabbo wrote:
    Dowie will probably be leaving as well.

Dowie left on Monday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Good buy for Wigan. He is proven in the Premiership but it is a hefty wad of cash for any team to fork out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

He wasn't even the top scorer in the Championship
    He didn't have a bad goals return for someone who was injured for roughly half the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

It probably is a good buy for Wigan, though they do have some decent strikers already. 8.5 million is crazy money, but he is premiership class, so he had to get out of Palace.

Premiership class? Not a hope in hell, last time he was in the Prem he scored most of his goals from the penalty spot. Other than that he did nothing but dive for the penalties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

thats right kensutz it's not like you're biased against palace or anything. How much did Ashton go to WH for from Norwich? Is he premiership class, was he the leading english goalscorer in the last Premier League, does he have English Caps? Get off your high horse.

I would prefer to see AJ going to a more established PL team like Everton or Bolton rather than Wigan

£7.5 million plus extras, sell on clause 15% extra, European bonus which we got and an extra payout should West Ham survive which they did. Yes he is premier class because he only played with us since January and he's proving a point with West Ham that he is a more complete player than "AJ". He has no caps as of yet but plenty of experience at U21 level.

• Advertisement

i think ashton is a decent enough player but i would have Johnson in my team way ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i think ashton is a decent enough player but i would have Johnson in my team way ahead of him.

not a chance, the only reason people thought he did so well last season was coz he scored something like 10 penalties... would prefer ashton any day of the week.

I think it's a bit of a misconception that Johnson only scores penalties. He had a fair few from open play last season as well, not to mention he was the top scoring English player. Although I think 8.5 is stretching it.

I think it's a bit of a misconception that Johnson only scores penalties. He had a fair few from open play last season as well, not to mention he was the top scoring English player. Although I think 8.5 is stretching it.

i never said he only scores penalties, but out of 21 goals, 11 came from penalties, thats over 50%. is 8.5m really worth it for a player who has only scored 10 goals from open play in the PL.

not for me thanks! i do like Wigan, so i hope he can prove me wrong. also this means liverpool wont be signing him, so i am chuffed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

AJ is a quality footballer and will prove to be a good signing for Wigan, but at 8.5, im not sure he is worth that.

As for the AJ v Ashton debate, i have to say i would rather have Ashton in my team. He offers more all round than AJ does imo. He can be a target man but aslo has enough pace to run in behind and his performances since Jan have been top class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

For all those people knocking Johnsen on the basis of how many penalties he scored, please answer one question, how many of those did he win?

For all those people knocking Johnsen on the basis of how many penalties he scored, please answer one question, how many of those did he win?

8, and?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How many were actual fouls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Stekelly wrote:
    How many were actual fouls?
    Does it make a difference? The point is, he's not just putting a ball on the spot and getting goal to his credit. He's making all these goals himself. He's better than Defoe imo, Defoe cost £7.5m. Very, very few players would score 28 goals in the championship. He missed the best part of 3 months this season and still scored 15 goals (3 less than Kevin Doyle). He'll guarantee you 15-20 premiership goals, if you don't think that's worth £8.5m then so be it. :)

Looks like this story isn't over yet!

• Advertisement

Looks like this story isn't over yet!
    I'd say that was to be expected. An extra day and an extra £500k. Not bad work by Jordan as most chairmen would have taken the £8m.

Compilation:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKQEO9L2XDQ

eirebhoy wrote:

yeah he's crap alright :rolleyes:
    (love'd the dive!)

yeah he's crap alright :rolleyes:
    (love'd the dive!)

The poor attempt of a celebration or the one at Selhurst

eirebhoy wrote:
    I'd say that was to be expected. An extra day and an extra £500k. Not bad work by Jordan as most chairmen would have taken the £8m.
    Afaik Wigan bid 8.5 as well, Bolton matched it not increased.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah but Bolton originally bid £8m so they increased their bid by 500k.

I watch alot of Championship football and Johnson is good but he is over rated. £8.5m is crazy money for him and you could get a couple of decent foreign players for that money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Everton have had a bid accepted too. It's a better overall package than the other 8.5 bids.

Having already agreed terms with Everton prior to a bid being accepted, he's now gone back to Wigan to talk to them after they've come back in with a higher salary than Everton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Kingp35 wrote:
    Yeah but Bolton originally bid £8m so they increased their bid by 500k.

I watch alot of Championship football and Johnson is good but he is over rated. £8.5m is crazy money for him and you could get a couple of decent foreign players for that money.

Depends what you compare him with....Compared with £21m for SWP he is an absolute steal. Compared with £7m for Peter Crouch, a striker who couldn't score in a knocking shop with a blank cheque in his hand - I know what I would rather have!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Depends what you compare him with....Compared with £21m for SWP he is an absolute steal. Compared with £7m for Peter Crouch, a striker who couldn't score in a knocking shop with a blank cheque in his hand - I know what I would rather have!

Again your comparing the prices of English players who were vastly over valued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wigan have agreed a 5 million buy of Robert Huth. Two buys for serious money and neither really worth the cash (I'd say 8/9 million for both).

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Huth is the potential to be a world class CB imo, 5 million is a steal, cause worst case scenario, you can just sell him on to some german club as he's really young

Kingp35 wrote:
    Kingp35 wrote:
    tbh, you could say that about any transfer. Celtic are doing all their shopping in Eastern Europe because it's the cheapest. Johnson is proven though and you know what you're getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Kingp35 wrote:

Should we compare him with Georgios Samaras who man city signed in January?

Everton have joined the race, they too have had the required 8.5 accepted.

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=390279&CPID=8&clid=11&lid=2&title=Everton+agree+Johnson+fee

The ball is now in Johnson's court, all he has to do is choose which club to go to.

Advertisement