Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoned kittens

Options
  • 24-05-2006 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have just become the temporary adoptive parent of two tiny, tiny abandoned kittens. I will try to find them homes in the coming days and will be able to bring them to the Vet tomorrow.

However, for this evening I'm wondering what I should feed them. I understand they require to be fed every few hours at a young age, but anyone got any advice on how often?

Is milk OK for them or should I feed them water mixed with something?

At a guess they are only a few weeks old (eyes are open) but I would have thought by the size of them that they are too young to be without a mother.

Any help on getting us all thorugh the evening would be great!

Thanks,

Dilly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Get in touch with Jan of Kitten Adoption asap - she'll give you all the info you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭CookieCat

All the info you need is on www.kittenadoption.ie web site feeding guides amount and what to use. Kittens are lactose intolerant so you will need to get either lactol supplement of milk replacement cows milk may do more harm than good. At tat age feeding needs to be done every 2 hours and bottoms too.

Good luck with your charges and fairplay for giving them a chance.
    Claire

***TAKEN FROM KA WEBSITE***

Kitten Care
    New Borns
    Heat for Kittens
    Hand rearing kittens
    Weaning kittens
    Kitten Poop
    Dehydration
    Constipation
    General kitten care
    General kitten behaviour

New born kittens
    Normal weight at birth should be between 57-114g 2-4 oz and they should gain 15g 0.50z per day. It is important that a kitten has started to feed 3-4 hours after being born.

to top

Heat for kittens
    There are dangers associated with putting a hot water bottle (even covered)in with kittens to keep them warm. Kittens can be scalded from hot water bottles. The other danger of a hot water bottle is that during the night it will become increasingly cold and even in this good weather temperatures drop significantly during the night and may cause liver and kidney damage.

For immediate first aid, body heat is the most effective way to bring a kittens temperature up. Place it in your bra under your clothing and carry on with your business. (you should see a result in 1/2 an hour) It may take one or two hours but it is safer and better to bring a kittens temperature up gradually than too quickly, and if in doubt get it to a vet. If you are a man borrow a bra from wife or friend!

A covered thermostatic temperature controlled heat pad is really the only safe method of maintaining a kittens body temperature.

to top

Hand Rearing kittens
    You will need a bottle or dropper to administer milk. (this should not be glass as you need to be able to "press" the bottle gently if the teat gets blocked). A syringe is not recommended unless used by a very experienced kitten carer. The tip of the teat must be thin and not too large or too thick, remember it must fit into a small mouth.

Never force milk into a kitten, please be patient.

You will need artificial milk such as Cimicat or Royal Canin. DO NOT use cows milk or condensed milk. We do not recommend Whiskas kitten milk for new born kittens.

I do not increase the volume of milk as recommended after the first week, as I found the kittens became constipated. It is better to increase their intake by a small amount.

Weigh the kitten at least once a day and always at the same time. If the kitten is losing weight increase the feeding times. A kitten will lose 5-8g after "pooing" So weigh after if possible.

Kittens bowels and bladders should be empty prior to feeding. Gently wipe the bottom down and away with a damp cotton wool ball.

Recommended feeding amounts
    Week 1: 1-2 ml per feed.
    Week 2: 3-7ml per feed.
    Week 3: 10ml per feed (Approx)
    Week 4. 15-20ml per fed(Approx)
    Follow manufactures instructions as products may vary.
    Feeding schedules
    Week 1 to 10 days: Every 2hours.
    11-14 days: Every 3 hours.
    15-21 days: 8 times daily.
    21 days to 6 weeks: 3-4 times daily.
    Note this is only a guide.

to top

Weaning Kittens
    Between 5-6 weeks, depending on body weight (Approx 500g), you can start to introduce semi-solid foods.

Feed cooked chicken with boiled rice mashed up, make sure there are no large pieces or the kitten may choke. However, make sure the mixture is not too liquid either. Introduce the kitten to this slowly. Weaning a kitten can be a slow and messy process. Place a small amount of food around their face or on their paws. (DO NOT force food into a kittens mouth). Let them lick and get a taste for the food, once they have found the food source they are off and eating.

Kittens should expel wind after a feed. By placing them on your shoulder and gently rubbing their back downwards with two fingers, you should hear a small "burp". Do not put a kitten down without doing this. Like in a human child they are prone to colic and this ensures that no trapped wind can cause vomiting. If the kitten is stubborn place it over your knee, with the kitten's head facing downwards and try the burping procedure. Do not leave the kitten in this position for more than a few minutes.

DO NOT give kittens baby food unless it is organic and salt/sugar free. The sodium content in baby food is too high for a kitten.

When the kittens are proficient in eating you can introduce them to kitten food. We use Royal Canin Baby cat 34 as it has all the nutrients that a kittens needs. This can be softened with water. You will get better formed less smelly poos. When introducing dried food ensure a fresh bowl of water is at hand for the kitten.

Orphaned kittens as young as 4 weeks can be encouraged to eat, and to lap at 3 weeks. Some will some won't.

to top

Kitten Poop
    They must be light to middle shade brown. The stool must be well formed and not too thin, too liquid or too solid. A kitten should not strain when passing a stool. You can regulate this by increasing or decreasing the amount of formula. If in doubt seek vets advice.

If they are green something is severely wrong with the kittens digestive system and get it to a vet pronto as a common reason is that the kitten might have got too cold in it's belly and or it can be a sign of an infection or diet intolerance.

Yellow smelly stools can be an indication of a bacterial infection.

Any diarrhoea must be taken seriously and should not be left untreated as it can be a killer of kittens.

Black sticky stools can indicate blood loss from the digestive system. All are emergencies in kitten.

to top

Dehydration
    Dehydration is a swift killer of kittens.

To test if a kitten is dehydrated, take the skin on the back between your fingers and gently pull it up, if the skin is elastic it should move back to it's original position in a matter of seconds, if the skin stands like a fold or moves back slowly, bring the kitten to a vet immediately. Re-hydration should only be attempted by a vet or a proficient and experienced person familiar with the care of kittens.

to top

Constipation
    Decrease the concentration of the milk by using more water.

Add dextrose to the milk (Liquid dextrose)

1/2ml per feed for kitten at 2 weeks old
    1ml per feed for kittens 4 weeks old.
    If in any doubt or if you have not administered this before seek vets advice.

If the kitten has not passed a stool in 2 days it is important that the kitten should see a vet.

to top

General Kitten Care
    Kittens should open their eyes at approx 6-8 days or 12 days MAX. If they open their eyes too late, inflammation can occur. This can leave permanent eye damage. If the kittens eyes are not open by 12 days seek vets advice. We do not recommend you attempt to open the kittens eyes yourself.

Kitttens should be wormed and de-flead as routine. Take advice from your vet if you are unsure.

If a kitten refuses to feed he should be checked by a vet. There are a number of conditions that may cause refusal to eat, ranging from genetic soft palate to obstruction or general infection. As ever, your vet is the best person to consult for any aspect of your kittens development.

A healthy kitten should be bright and alert, with bright eyes. There should be no discharge from eyes or nose.

to top

General Kitten Behaviour
    Week 1. Kitten alternates sleep and feeding.
    Week 2. Kitten will begin to crawl around their box. Eyes begin to focus.
    Week 3. They learn to walk and explore their close surroundings. Kittens tend to lick any unfamiliar surface or object, so polish, detergents and bleach products must not be used in the kittens area. Mock fighting begins.
    Week 4. Kittens have found their balance and mother loses all control! Weaning can begin. Litter trays will be used.
    Post Week 4: In the following weeks mother will prepare them for the big bad world, hunting and such likes.
    Around about 10 - 12 weeks mother starts to distance herself from the kittens.
    to top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Dilly

Thanks Gordon and Claire.

I have sent an email to their info email address and will go through the info available on the website.

I'll let you know how it all progresses (I have house buns myself so this is only a temporary solution) and will inform you as to which family member or friend is most easily blackmailed ;)

Gordon Jan is in bed and under house arrest by hubby due to being very unwell. If you wish my nuber pm me but I am not as exsperienced as Jan.
    Claire

• Advertisement

Thanks again guys - just going through the extremely helpful info on the kitten adoption website at the moment.

I don't suppose anyone knows of a place that I can get Royal Canin milk at this hour of the evening??

Dilly just be assured that you are doing your best, there are no guarantees, Nature may have taken these little ones if left and nature may know something we don't.
    A cat that is nursing kittens may be an idea, the cats own kittens would need to be roughly the same age as the ones you found.
    Good luck and you have given them a chance they didn't have.
    Claire X

Oh God, let's hope that it won't be as morbid as that!! I've managed to come up with a few potential adopters (one which is in a house shared with a trainee Vet so major fingers crossed for that one!!)

It would be so nice to have a happy ending for a change...:)

The web site went down any vet should have replacement milk if you have a problem I have some but you would have to collect. Where are you?
    There is no guarantee with kittens that's all I wanted to point out and it's no ones fault if they follow instructions which is all any hand rearer can do. Many of these little scraps just don't make it BUT MANY DO.
    Claire.

I've managed to find someone with spare cat milk, thanks for the offer though!

I'll let you know tomorrow how we get on tonight...

• Advertisement

Update:

The two little mites will be visiting the lovely people at Blanchardstown veterinary hospital this afternoon to get the once over.

They slept the whole night through (so much for the alarm going off every three hours to feed them - they had a GREAT nights sleep :mad: ;) )and are eating away fine. I'm concerened that they might be constipated but hopefully it can be sorted out by the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

whiskas do a lactose free milk for cats, you could get that for them either, i recently took in an abondand kitten, she loves the milk and is doing really well.

i took her to the vets and he said she was young to be away from the mum but she's in good condition and is feeding well.

that's her there, she's doing great now, have to bring her back for her shots tho, unfortunatrly she'd ringworm when i got her and is being treated so she couldn't get her shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 LowTek

jinxycat wrote:
    that's her there, she's doing great now, have to bring her back for her shots tho, unfortunatrly she'd ringworm when i got her and is being treated so she couldn't get her shots.

She looks lovely! I'd love to take in another kitten but I have my hands full with the two I have at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

yeah she's too cute to give away, i said i'd keep her if my other cat got on with her, he is but i'd to separate them since she's ringworm.

i hope it doesn't mess things up and that he'll be ok when i re-introduce them again. this is him chilling out on the bed.

Well done Dilly it's so refreshing to see caring folks who give these little mites a fighting chance. X
    The whiskas kitten milk is not suitable for kittens under 4 weeks old though.

Hope all continues to go well with them.
    Claire X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭eiretamicha

Hi Dilly!

By now you've probably already been to the vet, but just wanted to let you know I'm cheering you on! I've raised a newborn, the nights were rough but seeing her advance was so wonderful. At the time, I was working as a veterinary technician and had the best care possible for her. She, unfortunately, did not make it despite everything we did for her. I'm only sharing this because I want you to know that sometimes these babies are simply not designed to make it. As sad as that sounds, sometimes it's for the best.

I'm sure your little guys will make it though, keep up the good work and let us know how the vet visit turns out!

Good luck!:)

Hi guys!

It's great to see so many people cheering these guys on.

So the vet has assessed them and they are both male and are approximately 4 weeks old. I was delighted to hear this as the older, the better obviously! They have been put on a prescription diet of mushy food called "i/d" and I am also giving them Lactol which they love. The food is served up with a tiny dose of paraffin oil to help with the constipation.

They are incredibly confident and sociable so I've no doubt that they will have no trouble finding homes. It's very rewarding looking after them - every 5 minutes shows a new development in their personality!

They go back to the Vet in a month for their innoculations and after that it will be a tour of all friends likely to make good parents! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭eiretamicha

Dilly wrote:
    Hi guys!

It's great to see so many people cheering these guys on.

So the vet has assessed them and they are both male and are approximately 4 weeks old. I was delighted to hear this as the older, the better obviously! They have been put on a prescription diet of mushy food called "i/d" and I am also giving them Lactol which they love. The food is served up with a tiny dose of paraffin oil to help with the constipation.

They are incredibly confident and sociable so I've no doubt that they will have no trouble finding homes. It's very rewarding looking after them - every 5 minutes shows a new development in their personality!

They go back to the Vet in a month for their innoculations and after that it will be a tour of all friends likely to make good parents! ;)
    Wonderful news, Dilly! Glad to hear it!:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Well done and good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

fair play to you for taking them on and providing care for them it is refreshing to say as cats most time get a raw deal. Don't forget to post pictures of them.

I have a 4 week old kitten here at the moment and like you its great watching them grow in confidence. Keep up the good work

• Advertisement

Hope all is well with the kittens.
    Claire X

Advertisement