Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cobbling of West st -- Drogheda

Options
  • 24-05-2006 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I see they've started the cobbling of West st. What are people's thoughts on such a change.

I think that it'll be great and will being some life back into the town that has been taken away by Scotch Hall etc. But I was speaking to a taxi driver and they're not too happy about it :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kittenz

Drogman wrote:
    I see they've started the cobbling of West st. What are people's thoughts on such a change.

I think that it'll be great and will being some life back into the town that has been taken away by Scotch Hall etc. But I was speaking to a taxi driver and they're not too happy about it :rolleyes:

i think it is a really good idea too, they are meant to try and make it the central aspect of the town, by adding cafe's, restuarants and bars along it. it will look really well when its done.
    Of course the taxi drivers wont be happy, sure the with the amount of taxi's in the town, Laurance's St wont be able to hold them all, so they'll have nowhere to park..... But besides that, i cant wait till its all finished :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If they're worried about taxi ranks, how about doing something with Dyer St or mabye Wellington Quay?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

I think it's a great idea too. It will really rejuvenate the centre of the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

I disagree with it. Reducing the traffic to 1 lane will cause congestion problems. Its bad enough up the scotch hall side without 1 lane down west st.

Sure theres no decent shops around where there pedestrising it. Least where its pedestrianised in Dundalk they have loads of clothes shops and a cafe thingy you can eat outside on.
    All drogheda has at the min are ****ty pound shops and banks and supermarkets around the intended pedestrianised area. Its a joke. Feckin laughable it is. my granny always shops in Dunnes and Tescos and cant get a taxi from there now cause he taxis arent allowed to stop there anymore and will be fined so she has to try push a trolley half a mile away at her age.

Also, it`ll be a disaster at night i reckon with all the knackery skangers hanging about on it and no taxis to be got there now either making it a no go area late at night as you`ll be stuck amongst knackers whilst awaiting a taxi.

its a hole of a town anyway, thank god i live in the countryside out near collon, i find navan is a much nicer town even dundalk. traffic and crap shops of drogheda rule it out as my local town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Drogman

Nuttzy wrote:
    I disagree with it. Reducing the traffic to 1 lane will cause congestion problems. Its bad enough up the scotch hall side without 1 lane down west st.

Sure theres no decent shops around where there pedestrising it. Least where its pedestrianised in Dundalk they have loads of clothes shops and a cafe thingy you can eat outside on.
    All drogheda has at the min are ****ty pound shops and banks and supermarkets around the intended pedestrianised area. Its a joke. Feckin laughable it is. my granny always shops in Dunnes and Tescos and cant get a taxi from there now cause he taxis arent allowed to stop there anymore and will be fined so she has to try push a trolley half a mile away at her age.

Also, it`ll be a disaster at night i reckon with all the knackery skangers hanging about on it and no taxis to be got there now either making it a no go area late at night as you`ll be stuck amongst knackers whilst awaiting a taxi.

its a hole of a town anyway, thank god i live in the countryside out near collon, i find navan is a much nicer town even dundalk. traffic and crap shops of drogheda rule it out as my local town.

Why don't you go down and help your granny then if your so concerned? And if she can push a full trolly around a shop then why not up the street?

Anyway, I think you're a little harsh on Drogheda, especially saying that Dundalk is better. I lived in Dundalk for 4 years and I can tell you now that it is no way near as nice as Drogheda. Fair enough you have your louts at the weekend, but sure what place doesn't?

I think once West St is fully cobbled then you'll see a boom in cafe's and restaurants popping up making it a real cosmo feel to the place.

• Advertisement

Tesco and Dunne's on West Street will be closing anyway: Tesco is moving to a new site beside the railway station and Dunne's is closing its West Street store to focus on its Scotch Hall supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

The railway station????Where exactly?

klong wrote:
    The railway station????Where exactly?
    I'm not sure exactly. It's along the river behind the railway station, I think, and there will be a small tunnel into it, seemingly. It was in the Drogheda Independent a couple of months ago.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I read in the Drog Indo that they had a crazy plan of buliding a tunnel under the train station, and then putting the Tesco's on the Marsh Road were the CIE pitch and putt club is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Pitch & putt on the Marsh Rd...?Where is that (memory a bit fuzzy!)?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Dunno myself, but if its in the Indo then it has to be true :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

The tescos is going into that colpe retail outlet being built right beside grange rath. There aint any tesco's goin on the marsh road though.

Drogheda must be getting several new Tescos...!

I'm looking forward to Marks and Spencer myself.

europerson wrote:
    Drogheda must be getting several new Tescos...!

I'm looking forward to Marks and Spencer myself.

I think they have staff employed, and working getting the shop floor setup already afaik. Iv'e seen at least 2 people in Drawda with the M&S work t-shirts on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Squaddy

The pitch & put course is right behind the trainstation but you have to go up the marsh road through an estate to get to it.

There is going to be a tunnel going underneath the trainstation and a roundabout on the Dublin road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Squaddy

I think they have staff employed, and working getting the shop floor setup already afaik. Iv'e seen at least 2 people in Drawda with the M&S work t-shirts on

The people you saw may be goign to Dublin to get trained.

Squaddy wrote:
    The people you saw may be goign to Dublin to get trained.

Yeah, cause that makes more sence....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

I dont know what a post about Drogheda pubs has to do with cobbeling and pedestisibg the main st. I think the council main a bit of a mess of it. Fair to modern, bleak and minimilist. They should of the way Carlow did old school

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Off topic posts deleted. Stay on topic please. This thread is about the cobbling of West St., clearly not pubs in Drogheda, and not "Which is better, Drogheda or Dundalk" which is a WHOLE other argument!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kenjnamen

Drogman wrote: »

OK so wheres all the big mouth know it alls now???... Drogheda is now a ghost town because of pedestrianisiation.... No shops No people. Tesco is now open..... nowhere near the train station.... Dunnes ia still open since they, in there history, have NEVER closed a store. What a load of S**T!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drogsnookerclub

Drogheda is not a ghost town because of the pedestrianisiation, it couldve been done a lot better but the reason its a ghost town is the number of shopping centers and retail parks on the outskirts of the town

people have no need to go into town

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Moved into Louth sub-forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭positron

2006 called. It want its thread back!

positron wrote: »
    2006 called. It want its thread back!

2006 and 2009, talk about chalk and cheese!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

kenjnamen wrote: »
    OK so wheres all the big mouth know it alls now???... Drogheda is now a ghost town because of pedestrianisiation.... No shops No people. Tesco is now open..... nowhere near the train station.... Dunnes ia still open since they, in there history, have NEVER closed a store. What a load of S**T!

Why get so angry about it? More choice, more range of foods, places to go and stuff, sure, its not localized.
    But hell, a few years back the town didnt even have a mcdonalds!

Be happy with what we have, if you think you can change it, go right ahead.

But if you cant, then learn to live with it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

kenjnamen wrote: »

I get soooooo mad when I hear this bull..... have ye happened to listen to or watched the news lately...? RECESSION...! Look at any town at the minute. Shops and businesses are shutting left, right and centre. Pedestrianisation has absolutely nothing to do with the problem. In fact the street isnt even pedestrianised..! Cars can still drive over the street and now can even park along it again (bloody awful idea..!). The local rag newspapers have opinions similar to your own... planners and local shop owners have waaaaay to much power in Drogheda. Along with the present economic climate THAT is the problem..!

Rant over

Rats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

West street is just a really pathetic sight these days. Seems scotch hall might as well be the main st now :rolleyes:

Im all for change , more choice etc but just sad to see a street it once might take me an hour to walk across for meeting and chatting with people every 5 steps become what it has become.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

Me too, I cant stand the way West St. is now - basically an ugly car park..makes me sick.

Advertisement