Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lapierre 978 vs Trek 5200

Options
  • 24-05-2006 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have been cycling now for a few months and have started to love it so much that I would like to invest in something a lot better than I currently have (Trek 7500) in a few months time. I have been reading great reviews about the Trek 5200

http://cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=8633

but I have also been looking at the Lapierre 978 which is a few hundred less.

http://cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=10516

The thing is I can never seem to find any reviews about Lapierre bikes although I have heard that they are good. This is probably because they are a French company and not American. Has anybody got any expierence with these bikes (esp the Lapierre) and if so could you tell me what you thought of it.

Thanks
    John.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Wow, nice bikes. Not much to choose between them to be honest, main difference is the Bontrager vs. Mavic wheelsets and the Bontrager vs. Shimano chainsets. The LaPierre is shown with a triple chainset although I guess they'll change it for a double if you want it. LaPierre also has a sloping geometry vs. the Treks more traditional one.

This I guess is down to which one suits you best - can you get a test spin on each ?

I've just bought a LaPierre Tech 7 and its sweet. Most of the on-line reviews are biased towards American manufacturers so dont expect much for LaPierre. I can't fault the LaPierre build - its all top quality componentry.

Advertisement