Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wow replacement

Options
  • 24-05-2006 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭

well wow is becoming very boring these days and really want something esle to try, friends are starting the final fantasy mmo can any1 recommend me any good mmo's so pvp element would be great rather than endless pve.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Guild wars.

Great for PvP. Check out www.cual.co.nr for an active Irish Guild. I know that a lot of WoW-heads are anti-GW, but it's cheap from www.play.com, a cracking game and worth a go :)

Mik

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

where it comes to PvP there is only one contender - EVE (www.eve-online.com) .. get in a good corporation and you'll have a blast

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I disagree. EvE will take a new player a couple of months before you can PvP properly/effectively and thats assuming A) You design your class properly from the start, including race, school and skills. or B) You pay a couple of hundred quid to get one that someone else already did for you...

GW you can go straight into the PvP aspect of it from the word go, although I dont really recommend it as you can then only use the pregenerated characters.

Guild wars, imho, is one of the better PvP centric fantasy MMORPG's. Get in a good guild and the game is a sheer gem. Combine that with no subs and you are seriously onto something fun :D

Good luck.

Ivan wrote:
    I disagree. EvE will take a new player a couple of months before you can PvP properly/effectively and thats assuming A) You design your class properly from the start, including race, school and skills. or B) You pay a couple of hundred quid to get one that someone else already did for you...

GW you can go straight into the PvP aspect of it from the word go, although I dont really recommend it as you can then only use the pregenerated characters.

Guild wars, imho, is one of the better PvP centric fantasy MMORPG's. Get in a good guild and the game is a sheer gem. Combine that with no subs and you are seriously onto something fun :D

Good luck.
    If you play on your own you would be correct ... but if the OP joined a corp like goonfleet (with 1500 members) you could have great fun from the word go .. although you would still need to train your skills to fly battleships etc, you could effectively fight in goonfleets signature zerg tactics

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

There isn't really a great choice out there for the PvP oriented MMO player.

I mean you can "PvP" in almost any game from counter-strike to warcraft 3 to quake series to WoW etc etc etc.

The difference I find between the potential of PvP in an MMORPG compared to your normal counter strike style PvP is that an MMORPG provides a few UNIQUE things that other such games cannot provide, the main being, PERSISTANCE, Charecter Progression and the ability to change the world, along side taking part in a real team based environment. With this vision of PvP in mind i'll talk about the current options on the table.

Guild Wars- This really lacks the depth of a proper MMO and while a great game in it's own right just doesn't lend itself to what I would consider as proper MMO PvP. I'd say this game is closer to Fantasy Counter strike than MMO PvP, but it's a good blast while it lasts.

WoW - well we all know the PvP in WoW is quite weak atm with several obvious flaw's that are hopefully being worked on.

EvE - while the PvP in this game is good the problem is the time investment required to get into that PvP, it's also a very ruthless, hardcore sort of PvP and requires you to be in a good corp to have any fun.

DAOC - best incarnation of a PvP game to date with their revolutionary RvR concept you get to feel part of being in a real war, and you also can albeit temporarily have an effect on the world by taking keeps, relics and controlling DF etc. The problem is the game's declining population and age. As a new player it is boring to level up to where you can compete in PvP even if you play on the classic servers and even then you will need to get 99% SC set etc. and so it requires a good amount of PvE before you can dabble in the fun of RvR.

I'm sure there are other MMO's out there that I might have missed out on but suffice it to say that ever since I stopped playing DAOC (when TOA came out), I haven't really found a PROPER replacement. WoW promised a war and fizzled when it came to deliver. I haven't yet seen a good PvP centric MMORPG that recreated the fun and excitement of Relic and keep takes and even zerg fights, stealther wars and 8 v 8/zerg/16 roaming fights in emain of DAOC.

As it stands the future does hold some promise. The two MMO's i'm keeping a close eye on as a PvP'er are..

1) Warhammer online, made by mythic with a lot more focus on fun and they seemed to have learnt a lot from their mistakes in DAOC, eg no more buffbots this time around. They promise to take RvR to an entirely new level and I have faith that they might yet deliver.

2) Darkfall Online, a truly hardcore PvP game where the control of resources and land is much more important than you actual items. Also promising to be a skill based game, but with immense griefing potential. If done right this COULD be the holy grail of PvP MMORPG's. One of the few upcoming fantasy MMO's that will really offer the player TOTAL freedom and a reason to fight, that will cater to players who can't invest 20 million hours a week grinding as well as the hardcore players. IF done right ofc. This game is fast approaching BETA and is a good one to watch.

3) WoW... surprised I threw that in there? Well I have not yet played a blizzard game that turned out to be a DUD. They really reached a Mass audience to a level that no other WESTERN mmo has achieved and have appealed to a wide player base. They have dominated the PvE market and now have a planned PvP revamp beginning in 1.12 and possibly culiminating in the burning crusade. However I still await to see how they bridge the item/skill gap in a game with very linear progression. If the PvP revamp is well done then this game could provide an avenue that PvP'ers are looking for, but more likely than not it's just going to remain a stop over until the real PvP MMO's are out. I anticipate the revamp and expansion to be short band aid's before the raid or die philosophy takes root once again.

• Advertisement

Memnoch wrote:
    1) Warhammer online, made by mythic with a lot more focus on fun and they seemed to have learnt a lot from their mistakes in DAOC, eg no more buffbots this time around. They promise to take RvR to an entirely new level and I have faith that they might yet deliver.

2) Darkfall Online, a truly hardcore PvP game where the control of resources and land is much more important than you actual items. Also promising to be a skill based game, but with immense griefing potential. If done right this COULD be the holy grail of PvP MMORPG's. One of the few upcoming fantasy MMO's that will really offer the player TOTAL freedom and a reason to fight, that will cater to players who can't invest 20 million hours a week grinding as well as the hardcore players. IF done right ofc. This game is fast approaching BETA and is a good one to watch.
    I have also been looking at Darkfall Online and hope that it delivers ... but as you say, when people are given too much freedom griefing is almost guaranteed unless the pvp is consensual like WoW or something, and we know how great that is :p ... I just hope that it does not ruin the game ....

Advertisement