Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWE outsmarting the IWC?

• 24-05-2006 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

As we all know, Smackdown is pre recorded on Tuesday nights before airing on Fridays.

Now, the WWE obvioulsy dont like the fact that the results are online long before the show is actually on telly, as it hurts ratings further than what they are already are, in what is reckoned to be a graveyard timeslot.

So, its looking like to combat this, they are releasing their own different sets of spoilers, in order to keep people guessing! I have already read 4 different sets of spoilers, which are all similar, in that 3 main things happen, the rest is just filler.

Now, I could be completely wrong, but its looking like the WWE have finally gotten one over the net, as who else could benefit from releasing varying spoilers?

This is the 3rd week on the trot that different spoilers are showing up.

Fair play.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

gimmick wrote:
    Now, the WWE obviously dont like the fact that the results are online long before the show is actually on telly, as it hurts ratings further

I have yet to see any evidence that spoliers hurt ratings. The WWE would often say that and then they themselves would go and do it (period in 2001 they did it consistently and it did nothing postive or negative to the overall trend).

The reason why Smackdown ratings are poor go alot deeper than spoliers.

Obviously getting pre-empted in a lot of major markets is a big reason. The fact that Smackdown is booked and portrayed as the B brand is another factor too.

Maybe if they could channel all this effort in giving different spoliers out (if this is whats occurring) into better writing, their rating might improve gradually over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭castagnoli

In many ways the way there are 3 or 4 different spoilers out for this weeks SD is going to make me wanna tune in on Friday to see what does actually happen. One version seemed dull enough, there was loads going on in another and a few bits of interest in the other.

Dont blame me if you read this, cos it reveals quite a bit, but this is one vesion I read
    Henry leaves with the title belt, Lashley wins the US title and the Hooliganz have a great match with Kash and Noble. And JBL walks out on SD

Personally that is what I think will happen

Yeah but what percentage of the WWE fans go on the observer, figure four, the torch websites etc... A very minor percentage.

And of that segment of the audience they tend to be hardcores that watch everything anyway. Spoliers has been shown to have no effect on ratings.

Another example when wrestling was hot in 1999/2000, when Smackdown first began, their rating was 2 and a half times bigger than it is now and there were spoliers on every wrestling website by Tuesday night. It did n't matter, the show was good and people tuned in every Thursday to see it.

In saying that it could all be just one or two people going to the shows and giving false reports back to websites thinking its hilarious. Either that, or Michael Cole has too much time on his hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

i have to agree with vince SD's problewms run deeper than spoilers, and are caused by many of the issues he noted, i think another problem for them is there slot, just who in the 18-25 year old graphic is going to stay in on friday night to watch wrestling, if they're going to stay on that Day (obvously UPNs decision not WWEs) they should ask tomove to later, like coming home from the pub time, and make it edgier, a bit more high risk, more violent, this might help with ratings but they definitely need off of the friday roster to try and succeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭the sunbabe wan

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IF ONE of the spoilers that i read there is true, i'll scream, i'll cry :(:(

i read the observer for the spoilers usually. but i've decided against it cause i rather be surprized watching smackdown, cause for the last month i havent even bothered watching smackdown, just have the t.v on and i'm listening to smackdown :o

i prefer smackdown any way, raw is just all drama. smackdown gets down to business :D although it's seems to be cursed by 1 wrestlers getting injured. 2. by the fact it keeps getting referred to as the B show

• Advertisement

phew, you can pretty much depend on the fans who have been at the shows, to bring back a report.....:D
    PWInsider.com Elite member Jared Cheeseman sent this report, which is accurate

Matt Hardy beat Sylvan.

Gunner Scott beat a jobber.

Gregory Helms beat a jobber.

Kid Kash and Jamie Noble, doing their Pitbull gimmick, beat Scotty 2 Hotty and Funaki.

Smackdown:

Lashley beat JBL to win US Title.

Tatanka beat Simon Dean.

Mark Henry beat Chris Benoit, then destroyed him after the match.

Brian Kendrick and Paul London beat Nunzio and Vito.

Finlay beat Paul Burchill, then Shortstack (the midget wrestler) showed up.

Rey Mysterio beat JBL to retain the World Title.

When Paul Heyman was shown there, there was mostly no reaction, except for me. I marked out big time.

The coronation for Booker T was great as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I don't think spoilers harm ratings at all, unless the shows are very bad. If you read about SD and it looks really bad, you mightn't watch. But if there's something good on it, you more than likely will. So if they make good SD's, spoilers could do more good than bad

Although I could sort of understand that if there's a lot of different spoilers going around, you might want to tune in to see what actually happened. Still though, if you read one set of spoilers, you'll probably just take that as fact

iwc...???:o :o

Internet wrestling community I presume....the dregs of society!!

Advertisement