Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine noise

Options
  • 24-05-2006 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

Hi,

The engine in my Tigra is giving off a bit of a strange rattling noise. I've been to a garage and been advised that it's probably the water pump. They said this should have been changed with the timing belt and some other bolts which are known not to be so good with the engine. The timing belt was done around 2000 miles ago, so I've been advised that I could keep the timing belt seeing it's not that old. Would it be better to change everything (water pump/timing belt/bolts) or just go with the water pump? How much would I be expecting to pay for this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

A timing belt should only be about 20-30 quid. Taking off a timing belt and refitting it may not be regarded as a good practice. Assuming the water pump is driven by the timing belt, changing the belt as well as the pump should be no dearer in terms of labour than just changing the water pump.

So yeah, I'd fit a new timing belt with the pump.

Don't know anything about any "dodgy bolts" though.

Was there any mention of timing belt tensioners, idlers or pulley wheels. These items are often replaced at the same time as a timing belt asthey can give trouble and cause teh belt to slip/break. Do you know if these were replaced the last time. These parts are usually significantly dearer than the timing belt itself. Could be 150 quid for the parts. If they were done 2000 miles ago no need to do them agian. If they weren't then it might be worth your while replacing them as if one starts to give trouble 1000 miles down the road you'll end up going through the whole timing belt rigmarole a 3rd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Yeah it could either be one of the tensioners or the water pump. Would be best to replace the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

What year is the car and what engine is it.

Where exactly is the rattling noise coming from and exactly what does it sound like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

It's a 96 Tigra 1.4 xe and the noise is coming from behind the fan belt, from within the timing belt cover, towards the bottom in the centre.

It's a kind of rattling noise, like something is loose. Not really grinding, but if something is moving a bit too much. The noise seems to lessen as the engine warms up more and after you have driven for a while.

Advertisement