Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever think differently about a book second time around?

Options
  • 24-05-2006 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Does your impression of a book ever change with a second reading? I'm not talking about whether you pick up on little nuances, or notice more specific details, I am wondering if your attitude ever changes completely? I recently re-read three books that I first read about six years ago and absolutely loved back in the day.

First was Crime and Punishment, which I enjoyed just as much this time around. Still love it. Second was The Secret History, which again remains a firm favourite. Both of these books are in my top ten. I then read The Beach again. Now, the first time I read this book, I was awestruck. I thought it was fantastically written with a new and irresistible plot, intriguing characters etc. I absolutely loved it, tried to convert everyone else into an avid fan, refused to see the movie etc. This time around, I was bored, uninterested, fed up with it. It read like a cheap grown up version of Lord of the Flies. Perhaps, it was the long bus journey I needed to kill, or just fresh eyes, either way, that book is dead to me now!! Anyone else experience a similiar divorce scenario with a former favourite book?

Saintly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

to be honest, there are so many books I want to read that I don't usually read one twice unless it's short!

Heart of Darkness was waaaaayyyy better the second time around, I just seemed to miss the whole gist of it the first time. Although I still really enjoyed reading it both times.

You've scared me into not wanting to read any of my favourites a second time, in case I have a similar experience to yours with the Beach!

Advertisement