Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patent

Options
  • 24-05-2006 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I want to find out:
    1-how do i go about registered and patenting a logo for a business and also register and patent the name.

2-who do i contact?

3-How much does it cost(my dads been quoted 2000 euro , what would this be for , they are saying to patent name).

He has the name registered with cro already but wants to patent it so nobody else can use logo or name.

Thanks in advance and any relevent information will be helpful as i have to get it sorted for him by next week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

Sounds like you need a trademark rather than a patent.

You can register a trademark by downloading the form from www.patentsoffice ie

You need to give details of the name and design of the name and what classification the trademark covers (eg. is it for goods such as medicines or furniture or clothing etc. or services such as telecommunications, transport, education, construction etc.)

You fillout the form and pay a registration fee of €70 per classification.
    If the trademark is granted, you need to pay a further €177 and then it's yours for 10 years.

A patent covers new inventions rather than names and logos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

nobody else can use your logo if you trademark it or not if you own copyright on it (by creating it you will)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

heggie wrote:
    nobody else can use your logo if you trademark it or not if you own copyright on it (by creating it you will)

Copyright protection might not be enough though, if it's devoid of literary or artistic merit for example, it wouldn't qualify (i.e. a common word, phraze, slogan, whether stylised or not, simple symbols)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

thanks, it a logo rather than an idea.and also the name.

so which will i have to trade mark 1st and can the both be done from patentsoffice.

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

You register the name and the logo at the same time on the same form. You can paste a picture of the logo onto it if you want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I advice that you use a trademark agent or consult a solicitor. The agent will ensure that the application you file is actually valid and can be litigated if necessary. There is a thread about this somewhere, if you want to look back, searching for 'trademark'.

Assuming your dad's company's not GE, EUR 2000 for the services of a trademark agent to file a trademark for Ireland only sounds a bit much to me. It is worth getting it done right though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I advice that you use a trademark agent or consult a solicitor. The agent will ensure that the application you file is actually valid and can be litigated if necessary. There is a thread about this somewhere, if you want to look back, searching for 'trademark'.

Assuming your dad's company's not GE, EUR 2000 for the services of a trademark agent to file a trademark for Ireland only sounds a bit much to me. It is worth getting it done right though.

yes you are right, can anyone recommend an agents in dublin that might be cheaper than the 2000.thanks

Advertisement