Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

digiweb metro

• 24-05-2006 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hi all i work for digiweb and have installed metro in cork limerick waterford and galway i think its a great product and i will answer any questions honesty as there seems to be a lot of confusion out there about availabilty etc........

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

digikings, mind proving that you do actually work for digiweb for me?

[Feel free to PM me any info if you don't feel comfortable sharing it in public naturally]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

digikings wrote:
    i think its a great product

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Dougals Daddy

digikings wrote:
    hi all i work for digiweb and have installed metro in cork limerick waterford and galway i think its a great product and i will answer any questions honesty as there seems to be a lot of confusion out there about availabilty etc........

As I drove over a bridge on a tiny back road in Leixlip tonight ( Near Intel) I noticed a very cheap sign erected on the side of the road saying Digiweb is available in Leixkip now. Have Digiweb ditched all the glossy TV and Media ads in favour of this kind of publicisation now? and if so Is Metro available in Leixlip and should I trust a Broadband company that used shoddy advertising methods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

they had a big truck in eyer square in galway the last day would not call that bad advo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Would that be this one?
    http://www.digiweb.ie/media_article.asp?id=101

And dont we have two guys from digiweb on here already?
    Ie: Chaz and Crawler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

After the initial teething problems I've found it great in regards my pings for gaming and transfer speeds. If they have gotten the install time down I would highly recommend it especially after the latest price drop.

I have to agree with Asok, my install was one of the "bad ones", kinda still is, but jesus within the last 3 weeks its been like a rocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

can i just ask you about the availabilty of digiweb metro in cork north of the mast. i live in whites cross which is about 3/4 km from the mast in Collions barricks. i have line of sight but have been told that the mast only broadcasts its signal south and so i cant get it.

ive also heard that there are plans to put a new mast on the south side to service the north side. can you please tell me the current situation with these plans.

it is crap that the mast only provides service to the south. improving this mast would bring alot more people into the catchment are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Moriarty, whats the story with this guy, if you know?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

He never got back to me. He has until tomorrow to convince me otherwise before I ban him for impersonation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

blocparty wrote:
    can i just ask you about the availabilty of digiweb metro in cork north of the mast. i live in whites cross which is about 3/4 km from the mast in Collions barricks. i have line of sight but have been told that the mast only broadcasts its signal south and so i cant get it.

ive also heard that there are plans to put a new mast on the south side to service the north side. can you please tell me the current situation with these plans.

it is crap that the mast only provides service to the south. improving this mast would bring alot more people into the catchment are

I'm in a similar situation. I'm actually IN Collins Barracks and can't get connected because they only broadcast south. I'm waiting for until their new transmitter in Farmers Cross becomes active and this will brodcast North. If you know where Farmers Cross is (it's due south on the skyline, there are two masts there and is pretty visable) and have LOS you should be ok. I was onto Sales this week and was told it will be operational in two weeks. That said I had an engineer out to me 2 months ago and he said 3 weeks.... I'm still waiting. Give sales a ring and try get a firm date. If you get anymore information from them please post it because there are quite a few people waiting for this transmitter to come on-line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

blocparty wrote:

Farmers Cross is being brought live now with most of the work already done and final testing taking place.

There is coverage to the North of Collins Barracks, but only towards the North Western Area. We might revisit the site to put up a sector North / North East depending on demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

Sparky-s wrote:
    Would that be this one?
    http://www.digiweb.ie/media_article.asp?id=101

And dont we have two guys from digiweb on here already?
    Ie: Chaz and Crawler.

wat a savage truck....

Being behind the wheel of an 18 wheeler, turns me on :D
    Savage truck is right. I can imagine how much it cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Asok wrote:
    After the initial teething problems I've found it great in regards my pings for gaming and transfer speeds. If they have gotten the install time down I would highly recommend it especially after the latest price drop.

I have to say - the service has been outstanding lately. The teething problems appear to have been completely ironed out and the pings are excellent.

It's been a long and bumpy road, but it's finally there!

Chaz wrote:
    Farmers Cross is being brought live now with most of the work already done and final testing taking place.

There is coverage to the North of Collins Barracks, but only towards the North Western Area. We might revisit the site to put up a sector North / North East depending on demand.

so what areas will this cover? i live in whites cross which is north of the collions barricks mast by about 3k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Chaz wrote:

Chaz

Can you find out will Collins Barrack be in the coverage area? If it isn't i will scream!! I been on hold for installation for the last number of months. The engineer that came out said I had line of sight and said I should have no problems but may not have known about any coverage areas.

Thanks

can anyone tell me where farmers cross is exactly? maybe by giving me google earth co-ordinates or something. i seem to be due north of kinsale road roundabout so is farmers cross close to there? for some reason i think it is but i might be miles off!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The airport is at/around/near Farmer's Cross.

Chaz

Can you find out will Collins Barrack be in the coverage area? If it isn't i will scream!! I been on hold for installation for the last number of months. The engineer that came out said I had line of sight and said I should have no problems but may not have known about any coverage areas.

Thanks

The Farmer's Cross Sector is pointed directly North - or thereabouts. Coverage is basically for the city area which includes Collins Barracks. I would be very surprised if you did not get LOS from FC. You should easily be able to make out the 3 masts on the hill on the South of the city. The only thing is that you might not pass signal test depending on how high you are. All depends - worth a test though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Digikings, are Digiweb going to be increasing their wireless coverage of county Carlow?, as it stands you only serve Carlow town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

Chaz wrote:
    <snip> You should easily be able to make out the 3 masts on the hill on the South of the city. <snip>

i'm getting confused here.
    I thought the 3 mast on the hill south of the city were on Spur Hill not farmers cross.
    See Spur Hill via Google Satellite :
    "http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Cork&t=h&om=1&ll=51.854721,-8.511304&spn=0.004877,0.011094&quot;

I assumed that the Digiweb mast was going :
    "http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Cork&ll=51.848514,-8.460814&spn=0.002439,0.005547&t=h&om=1&quot;

Can anyone confirm?

Spur Hill is a single Mast (RTE) with a few secondry GSM towers nearby.

Your Farmers Cross site is correct. No idea waht your Spur Hill one is. Spur Hill (RTE) is next to a road .... that one is not.

Chaz wrote:
    Spur Hill is a single Mast (RTE) with a few secondry GSM towers nearby.

Your Farmers Cross site is correct. No idea waht your Spur Hill one is. Spur Hill (RTE) is next to a road .... that one is not.

Thanks Chaz - IBB have a high site on one of those 2 GSM towers btw. Why I was interested is that feic'n little mound at Spur hill blocks my LOS to Farmers Cross :-) Not to worry though, Collins Barracks should be fine for me, its just alot further away (8-9km rather than 4-5km).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

As I drove over a bridge on a tiny back road in Leixlip tonight ( Near Intel) I noticed a very cheap sign erected on the side of the road saying Digiweb is available in Leixkip now.
    THey have the same type of signs on the way into Drogheda as well.

fisab wrote:
    Thanks Chaz - IBB have a high site on one of those 2 GSM towers btw. Why I was interested is that feic'n little mound at Spur hill blocks my LOS to Farmers Cross :-) Not to worry though, Collins Barracks should be fine for me, its just alot further away (8-9km rather than 4-5km).

No, IBB are directly on the Spur Hill mast (RTE).

Chaz wrote:
    No, IBB are directly on the Spur Hill mast (RTE).

I'd take my chances with Metro at 8-9km rather than IBB at 3-4km:)

Overall the press for Digiweb has been very positive here and their "informal" online support here has been VERY impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

fisab wrote:

Overall the press for Digiweb has been very positive here

And rightly so - best customer service I've ever seen in an ISP.
    Something that the others should really aspire to - as well has having technical people in technical support (at least, they appear to be :) )

fisab wrote:

Overall the press for Digiweb has been very positive here and their "informal" online support here has been VERY impressive.

With respect to distances. The system we use has a single modulation scheme, which is good and bad. The plus side is that assuming you have enough signal (generally up to around 10 kms depending on a few factors a bit further), you will get the same results as someone at 4kms.

• Advertisement

Chaz wrote:
    The Farmer's Cross Sector is pointed directly North - or thereabouts. Coverage is basically for the city area which includes Collins Barracks. I would be very surprised if you did not get LOS from FC. You should easily be able to make out the 3 masts on the hill on the South of the city. The only thing is that you might not pass signal test depending on how high you are. All depends - worth a test though.

chaz

My house is roughly 9/10 km form the mast at farmers cross and is roughly 320ft above sea level while the mast is at bout 570 ft above sea level. the highest hill that is in the way is about 280ft above sea level. what do you think the chances of getting it are for me? i can give you google earth co-ordinates if you want

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement