Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

digiweb metro

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

blocparty wrote:
    chaz

My house is roughly 9/10 km form the mast at farmers cross and is roughly 320ft above sea level while the mast is at bout 570 ft above sea level. the highest hill that is in the way is about 280ft above sea level. what do you think the chances of getting it are for me? i can give you google earth co-ordinates if you want

Give me a URL where I can find you on a map ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Coordinates work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

the url to my house is
    [deleted]

and the google earth coordinates are

[deleted]

Moderator comment: It is unwise to publish your address. Even if you are doing so in full understanding of the possible risks, we'd rather you didn't. Just PM them to the party concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 dyslexixboy

blocparty you've just shown the world where you live I'd remove the link and coordinates and pm them to chaz. you dont want every freak knowing where your house is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,043 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you can be too paranoid.

I don't care where he lives and I doubt anyone else does - I suspect Blocparty isn't his real name either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

Chaz wrote:
    <snip>The only thing is that you might not pass signal test depending on how high you are. <snip>

Interesting!
    I thought the signal would be better if you are on high ground and that high ground might make up for being further away but I guess the transmitters point down into the cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 dyslexixboy

loyatemu wrote:
    you can be too paranoid.

I don't care where he lives and I doubt anyone else does - I suspect Blocparty isn't his real name either...

I dont agree, its not wise to publish where you live to the world theres a lot of weirdos out there :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

I see you have a sign in Skerries is this wireless or just normal DSL I live in Kellys Bay so was wondering if Wireless is available here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I've had Digiweb Metro over six months now and I find the telephone service to be dissapointing - call quality is poorer than a mobile in low coverage for both long distance calls (anything further than a local call) and also for most incoming calls, is this affecting me or is it the nature of the technology? Am thinking of moving back to Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

Totally agree, as I have already posted on other threads metro phone service is poxy, and they're still using it as a MAJOR attraction for getting their service, then when you do sign up and realize how bad it is, they say 'oh well it's a free aspect of the package so why complain' I pretty much resent being sold poor quality product under misleading perceptions. It is simply NOT as good as standard fixed line or even mobile in my opinion. TAKE NOTE broadband hunters!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Slice wrote:
    I've had Digiweb Metro over six months now and I find the telephone service to be dissapointing - call quality is poorer than a mobile in low coverage for both long distance calls (anything further than a local call) and also for most incoming calls, is this affecting me or is it the nature of the technology? Am thinking of moving back to Eircom.

mine was bad on a Siemens handset but was perfect on a Telecom Eircom "Boyne".

I got a "onetel Sigma 1200" twin DECT cordless phone set for 49.50 in Tesco last week and is perfect too. ( A single cordless suffers from flat battery as there is no satellite charger).

I'm 12.5km out and with a marginal signal. The last firmware upgrade seemed to sort out the QOS for phone for a lot of people, though the sensitivity to different handsets is a bit strange. Still the recent purchase works out at just under 25 Euro per cordless handset.

chaz i sent you a pm so if you could please tell me if i have a good chance of getting digiweb metro and when you expect farmers cross to be up and running because ive heard within the next couple of weeks since the 20/3/06

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

watty wrote:
    mine was bad on a Siemens handset but was perfect on a Telecom Eircom "Boyne".

The 'boyne' probably sucked less lekky out of the phone port as it has no display but I told you that before Watty.

If you have no 'boyne' buy a cheap €10 or €15 plain displayless phone or borrow one and make some test calls William. The BT branded ones in Argos should be OK.

blocparty wrote:
    chaz i sent you a pm so if you could please tell me if i have a good chance of getting digiweb metro and when you expect farmers cross to be up and running because ive heard within the next couple of weeks since the 20/3/06

I have already sent your details onto our planning guys to check. Will revert when I hear from them.

cheers for that chaz. fingers crossed because i have exhausted all other options including your current mast but as i said before its pointing the wrong way!!!!

i really want broadband! so hopefully this is the answer to my prayers

blocparty wrote:
    cheers for that chaz. fingers crossed because i have exhausted all other options including your current mast but as i said before its pointing the wrong way!!!!

i really want broadband! so hopefully this is the answer to my prayers

Hopefully we can get you sorted. I must say - from the Google Earth pics its difficult to see. The co ordinates onto some mapping software will help.

I looked at the maps this morning - seems to be a chance - wouldnt say great - but its there. Ill update you once the guys have done the map / software checks.

i just really hope ye can sort me out. ive been waiting for 3 years to get BB. we had an eircon sales agent around at our house in 2003 saying we could get it but we couldnt and still cant get it! guessing you wont be hearing baack from them until tomorrow but if i waited for 3 years then im sure i can wait another while longer. just hope the mast actually goes live in 2 weeks

Sponge Bob wrote:
    The 'boyne' probably sucked less lekky out of the phone port as it has no display but I told you that before Watty.

If you have no 'boyne' buy a cheap €10 or €15 plain displayless phone or borrow one and make some test calls William. The BT branded ones in Argos should be OK.

Well that may be a solution but I bought a new phone which incorporated an answering machine as I was intending to move from Eircom to Metro and would lose the call answering service, thus the answering machine would take over, alas the service is too poor and inconsistant to rely on: I was trying to have a conversation with a business client in France a couple of weeks ago and had to call him back on my Eircom line because it sounded like the first lunar transmission "One small step for man etc" Thats how bad it is.
    Now I'm being told to use a retro phone. I seriously appreciate the advice Spongebob and the advice from Watty and the others including Chaz and Crawler but really, we're supposed to be moving forward here, forwards not backwards. Maybe sombody has a solution for the answering service. Cheers lads:)

Maybe sombody has a solution for the answering service. Cheers lads:)

Yes. First try to check compatibility witha cheap n cheerful displayless phone. If this has a beneficial effect on sound you could maybe consider a BT model with simple display .....caller ID for example. As you are a long term Digiweb user if you are grinding thru the Argos catalogue for them and compatibility testing phones with their gear I'm sure you would get a rebate off Digiweb if you tested a few BT branded Argos phones for them and sent the catalogue numbers to them where you find the quality is good . Saves everybody a load of bother in the long term.

If you register with certain of the VoIP providers such as smart076.ie , and you do not answer so it goes to voicemail, the voicemail is emailed to you as a .mp3 file attached to an email. I'm not sure if the Digiweb VoIP system does this but heck.....any VoIp provider will work with Metro which is the good news and your IP works fine, its the voice bit thats oversensitive :D

You can then port your 'real ' number to a VoIP provider and if necessary forward it to the one that will take messages, VoIP providers in Ireland will normally allow 'free' calls to 076 numbers (but research and check) so you could

021>076>Voicemail>mp3

or

021>076>William Answers on his VoIp phone

Blueface provide an ata (voip to phone convertor) real cheap and it can log into 2 concurrent voIp providers giving you 2 lines in effect.

This could 'log in' to blueface voip and 'log in' to Digiweb voip simultaneously. You could get one of the unlimited Irish calls packages off Blueface for your outbound calls. You may also port your existing 021 number to Blueface and ditch the eircom line then .

https://www.blueface.ie/shop/getDevice.aspx?device=&payg=&extras=&page=plans&plan=NOTREQD&x=53&y=12

You will have phone numbers coming out of your ears then , including your current 021 number :D

Choices eh ???? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

So what's the deal with the physical installation. A box on the roof somewhere and a box inside. How do you run the cables into the house? Last thing I want is a load of unsightly cables running down the side of the house. Ideally I'd like to run the cable's into the attic.

I'm just south of the intersection of Griffith Av and Drumcondra road. From the attic I can see over the city to the Wicklow mountains so I assume I'd be able to get a city centre based mast. Is there a mast in Finglas/Ballymun as well. Is this a line of sight thing - or how does it work. The web site is a little short on detail.

• Advertisement

PaschalNee wrote:
    So what's the deal with the physical installation. A box on the roof somewhere and a box inside. How do you run the cables into the house? Last thing I want is a load of unsightly cables running down the side of the house. Ideally I'd like to run the cable's into the attic.

I'm just south of the intersection of Griffith Av and Drumcondra road. From the attic I can see over the city to the Wicklow mountains so I assume I'd be able to get a city centre based mast. Is there a mast in Finglas/Ballymun as well. Is this a line of sight thing - or how does it work. The web site is a little short on detail.

Some info here:

http://www.digiweb.ie/broadband_metro_faq.asp?i=80&i2=81&i6=98&zzz=bm

Co Ax cable between inside and outside box. Standard install is similar to Sky type install for cabling.

No city center site at the moment. Current sites are 3 Rock, Tallaght, Finglas, Ringsend.

It is LOS only.

Chaz wrote:
    Co Ax cable between inside and outside box.

Do ye do the co-ax in a nice tasteful Redbrick co-ordinated colour Chaz or is it WHITE :eek: ??

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Do ye do the co-ax in a nice tasteful Redbrick co-ordinated colour Chaz or is it WHITE :eek: ??

We use the invisible type. If you want, and preorder, we can get the brick coloured one with the yellow and grey mortar effect, with 80mm spacing.

Actually no - its black.

Chaz wrote:
    Actually no - its black.
    Ye can feck off out of leafy national opinion forming person populated conservation area Rathgar and Ranelagh so .

Black is the new white, yuk :(

can anyone tell me why IBB's service is so poor? is it because of over subscription or is it a fundamental problem with their equipment? they can provide me with it and the availibility of digiweb is questionable.

any news on that chaz?

blocparty wrote:
    can anyone tell me why IBB's service is so poor? is it because of over subscription or is it a fundamental problem with their equipment? they can provide me with it and the availibility of digiweb is questionable.

any news on that chaz?

News on your LOS - not yet - will let you know when i hear - the lads are busy sorting out some other work at the moment that has taken priority.

Wont comment on competitor's service although I dont think its rocket science to work out 2 of the core issues.

Thanks for all the info Spongebob, I must do some experimenting after the weekend, I will let ye know my progress. And here was me thinking you were just a dumb old sponge, amazing. cheers:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

So close to KILLING Digiweb...Membership Open today for something at 12Am... What Happens It Goes down for 20 Min at 11.59.... Had to Borrow someone Wireless internet....Not Happy Digiweb.... Twice now its been down today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Ye can feck off out of leafy national opinion forming person populated conservation area Rathgar and Ranelagh so .

Black is the new white, yuk :(

Well what about some of the ESB's grey cables and NTL's stuff :D

@Chaz. would you reckon Portmarnock could get a signal? My cousins interested.
    She is at a fairly high altitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Chaz Cork Digiweb was down 3 times last night. What was the story with it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement