Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

digiweb metro

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭flashcash5

Chaz or someone told me in another topic that with Metro, hear you dont have to use or have the phone activated. Is this true?
    If it is, they why do people bother with their wireless packages (they don't seem to be as fast)

(Looking to getting it in Limerick btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

Chaz wrote:
    News on your LOS - not yet - will let you know when i hear - the lads are busy sorting out some other work at the moment that has taken priority.

Wont comment on competitor's service although I dont think its rocket science to work out 2 of the core issues.

I've just phoned in a Metro order (certainly influenced a bit by the excellent online service provided here by chaz and crawler). Fingers crossed that with all the metro-lite orders flooding in that Digiweb doesnt get hit in the short-term by IBB-like bandwidth problems. I went for the €35 service, not for the bandwidth but hoping that its on a "calmer" node :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 y3rman

Got peed off with IBB Ripwave on Monday ..........ordered Digiweb Monday night..........got phonecall Tuesday morning for install appointment lunchtime Wednesday...........Up and running at 15.30 Wednesday ...........am very impressed so far ........and all for €20 a month....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

fisab wrote:
    I've just phoned in a Metro order (certainly influenced a bit by the excellent online service provided here by chaz and crawler). Fingers crossed that with all the metro-lite orders flooding in that Digiweb doesnt get hit in the short-term by IBB-like bandwidth problems. I went for the €35 service, not for the bandwidth but hoping that its on a "calmer" node :)

ya i just went for that as well. not sure where you are but i went for the metro product in cork for their new mast. the online service crawler and particularly chaz provide ensured i went with them. lets hope i can get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

flashcash5 wrote:
    Chaz or someone told me in another topic that with Metro, hear you dont have to use or have the phone activated. Is this true?
    If it is, they why do people bother with their wireless packages (they don't seem to be as fast)

(Looking to getting it in Limerick btw)

You dont have to get the phone line activated. Makes no real difference in terms of broadband etc.

• Advertisement

Chaz Cork Digiweb was down 3 times last night. What was the story with it?

Some upgrade work that should have been fairly seemless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

digikings wrote:
    hi all i work for digiweb and have installed metro in cork limerick waterford and galway i think its a great product and i will answer any questions honesty as there seems to be a lot of confusion out there about availabilty etc........

It really doesnt look like you work for Digiweb. I don't know why you have decided to claim you have. You have 24 hours to explain the situation to me or lose access to this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭A$$A$$IN

Reguarding ping times how is it say to uk servers?? For games obviously. Also what is the consistency like info appreciated ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

flashcash5 wrote:

I had to switch to DSL because some trees sprouted leaves and blocked my LOS and I'm gutted - the metro was much faster than DSL and had much better contention ratios and much higher download caps.

If I had a choice - i'd have sticked with the metro. After a few teething probs at the start abck in november it became very reliable and very quick - even now on a calm sunny day I can still get a connection through the trees and its still faster than the DSL connection I have with digiweb...Now maybe my DSL connection is dodgy - but for me metro is definately the better package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

y3rman wrote:
    Got peed off with IBB Ripwave on Monday ..........ordered Digiweb Monday night..........got phonecall Tuesday morning for install appointment lunchtime Wednesday...........Up and running at 15.30 Wednesday ...........am very impressed so far ........and all for €20 a month....

Got peed off with paying Eircom 24 & Imagine 19.99 a month ..........ordered Digiweb Monday ..........got phonecall Tuesday morning for install appointment Thursday, pushed until today...........Guy arrived at 11:30 Up and running at 12.30 really neat install (antenna onto the chimney, cable to attic where their modem and my wireless router/dect phone base will reside ...........am very impressed so far ........and all for €20 a month....

So far so good, time will tell I suppose.

Only gripe - was told that I would be the first install in the morning (so I would not be hanging around all day) but the fitter was not told so they didn't arrive until 11.30.

Unrelated - I was with Imagine. Even though they have a 3month notice period they cut you off the moment you request it. If you need continuity of service (i.e. an overlap between the two) I'd get the termination date in writing from Imagine (Unless you want the Sisyphean experience of explaining to Imagine customer service what a 3month notice period is about and what it means when you say "i want to give notice".)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

My experience with Digiweb Metro Lite in Dublin has been mostly disappointing. Ordering online using my credit card went smoothly enough (no surprises there), but at the end of the process you're left hanging wondering if the order has actually been received. No confirmation email, no message to say that you will be contacted within a matter of days, or whatever.

I let a week go by before emailing them to ask if they got my order. They emailed the next day to say they did, and that an installer would be contacting me shortly. The next day I got an install date for three days down the line. Fair enough there.

When the day came the installer showed up on time and carried out the installation tidily enough. I should have known there was a bad omen, because when he was ready to pack up, the signal went down. So he's back up on the ladder again to try something else. Eventually it's finally working, at least the internet side of it is. But I'm left hanging wondering about the phone end of things. I have not been allocated a number, and there's no dial tone from my phone.

I called them next day to enquire. I was given my new number and told that it would be on soon. At the same time I was told over the phone that my signal was weak and that I would need a service call. That was a Friday. A week later - no sign of a service technician. In the meantime the phone starts working - the only snag is that I can hear a caller but they cant hear me!

I call again the following Friday to be told if nobody had arrived by the end of the day, then it would be next week.

It's now Saturday and the internet has only been up for about five minutes in the space of an hour. I am now pissed off with the whole thing. If nobody arrives on Monday I'm going to cancel.

bazzer wrote:
    My experience with Digiweb Metro Lite in Dublin has been mostly disappointing.
    It would be interesting (for others) to know where you are based and what transmitter you are as this is presumably a signal issue. I received conf email no problem.

I'm based at the top of Drumcondra with a line of sight to Three Rock. I'm getting just below (938 down/246 up) the advertised speeds from http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php (That said it's good weather today). Phone is fine despite a slight buzzing which I'm going to call them about on Monday.

Does anybody know of the default IP address of the modem. I'm pretty sure the installer loaded a status page (signal strength etc) from the modem.

The modem does not do DHCP so there's nothing in ipconfig. I could do a nmap scan I suppose but I don't have it installed here. And it does not seem to be in the docs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

PaschalNee, I'm in Clondalkin, near the Liffey Valley Centre. I wouldn't imagine there to be LOS issues, but my antenna is pointing in a slightly different direction compared to another house across the road from me. The connector on my antenna is postioned at the side, whereas across the road it's coming from the bottom. Does this indicate opposite polarisations from two different transmitters?

By the way, the service has been completely down for me since 11 this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 dyslexixboy

Thomson modem http://192.168.100.1/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

PaschalNee wrote:
    It would be interesting (for others) to know where you are based and what transmitter you are as this is presumably a signal issue. I received conf email no problem.

I'm based at the top of Drumcondra with a line of sight to Three Rock. I'm getting just below (938 down/246 up) the advertised speeds from http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php (That said it's good weather today). Phone is fine despite a slight buzzing which I'm going to call them about on Monday.

I got a buzzing on my cordless DECT "onetel" phone if the base was anywhere near the SkyDigi box.

Make sure any phone units or cordless base units at least 30cm / 1ft from any electronic gear and see does buzzing stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Normally I get about 1/2 to 1/4 of my speed from other sites on the irishsptest as it can be congested.

9.30am on a Sunday morning I get 2.89Mbps down and 496kbps up.

I find that test is more variable than my actual connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Chaz,

I've been told more delays with Farmer's Cross in Cork!! Can you shed some light on it? Can you find out how long it's going to be this time? 6 months and waiting :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭hawthorn

I posted a Digiweb query elsewhere and no one answered it! So hopefully here. I live in crinkle just outside Birr and have no hope of ever getting Eircom to upgrade our exchange, so was delighted to see Digiweb advertised.

My query was just to get a general opinion on the service. Im a bit worried cos last Wednesday I rang the 1800 number, and the girl said someone would ring me back, but they were busy, and it could take a while.... 4 days, she said!

Well nothing happened yesterday (Monday), so I rang. This time I couldnt get through at all. Kept getting put in a queue. Now admittedly i didnt wait, but kept re-dialling. I was 12th, 9th, 14th etc etc so didnt wait. God, I felt like I was ringing bloody SKY!

If you have to wait at number 14 in a queue, to be then told (I presume) that they'd ring you back 4 days later (and probably wouldnt), wouldnt you forgive me for being a bit wary of the service?

Could it be that the advertising campaign went very well and theyre not able to cope?

Please give me some good news about them...:(

thnx
    h

• Registered Users Posts: 4 thefonz

Hi Chaz, Digikings or anyone in the know...

Was wondering about the coverage in Lackagh. Thats close to claregalway in co. galway.
    I had Irishbroadband saying they had coverage but then telling no again. Read somewhere here on boards.ie that there is coverage in Lackagh by digiweb metro. Then when I called up today they said no and I should wait for the new mast in oranmore and maybe then....

Any help. Also is there a quick and easy DIY method to see if you have coverage? I know a guy who knows a guy who could help me out. Any help....

Thanks a million in advance,
    Bye
    The Fonz

• Advertisement

thefonz wrote:
    Hi Chaz, Digikings or anyone in the know...

Was wondering about the coverage in Lackagh. Thats close to claregalway in co. galway.
    I had Irishbroadband saying they had coverage but then telling no again. Read somewhere here on boards.ie that there is coverage in Lackagh by digiweb metro. Then when I called up today they said no and I should wait for the new mast in oranmore and maybe then....

Any help. Also is there a quick and easy DIY method to see if you have coverage? I know a guy who knows a guy who could help me out. Any help....

Thanks a million in advance,
    Bye
    The Fonz

We have not yet completed the Oranmore build, therefore complete coverage data would not be ready yet. We can 'guess' if you might get service, however it would be advisable to wait until the system is live and commissioned before we define the coverage maps that the sales team use.

Do you have a GPS location for your place - if you do - PM me the detail and we might be able to give you a rough answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 XxjustepicxX

hello
    if i ordered it on a friday when would they come out?
    and do they like work on a weekend or is it working days?
    thanks for any help..
    XxjustepicxX

Talk about resurrecting an old thread ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Indeed
    hello
    if i ordered it on a friday when would they come out?
    and do they like work on a weekend or is it working days?
    thanks for any help..
    XxjustepicxX

Please start a new thread on this issue

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement