Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog digging up plants

Options
  • 24-05-2006 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I planted a new shrub today and my dog (a sheepdog/terrier cross) took no notice of what I was doing. Well that is until I left the house this evening for an hour and on my return the shrub had been dug up, torn apart and scattered all about the garden :mad:

This happened last year too; all is fine until I leave the house and then all hell breaks loose! I've tried those crystals (keep off the garden) but they didn't work.

Has anyone any ideas how to stop him digging up freshly sown plants?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

I planted a new shrub today and my dog (a sheepdog/terrier cross) took no notice of what I was doing. Well that is until I left the house this evening for an hour and on my return the shrub had been dug up, torn apart and scattered all about the garden :mad:

This happened last year too; all is fine until I leave the house and then all hell breaks loose! I've tried those crystals (keep off the garden) but they didn't work.

Tear dog apart and scatter around garden. :D

(Sorry, I couldn't resist that - I'm a plant lover and not a dog lover)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

You could protect the rootball with some large cobblestones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

While I could use stones as you say Arcadian, it still wouldn't stop him ripping the rest of the plant apart but thanks anyway.

Litcagral: I have been tempted to take your advice but the ISPCA are probably monitoring these posts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Im not sure if theres any solution for it, its something for him to explore and if hes outside in the garden for most of the day hes going to get bored :)

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

Get a rolled up news paper ,nice and tight ,I find the Times works well ,and beat yourself around the head with it for not fenceing off the shrub till the dog gets used to it :)
    Seriously ,I had the same problem ,I kept the plant blocked off till she got used to it being around and a chance for it to bed in ,she still digs around it but doesn't try to uproot it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

I've this problem also. The dog is old and well fed and exercised but it still digs. Any ideas how to stop it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Buy a pot of vicks vapo-rub, can be bought in any store that sells cold medicines etc.

Bury the open pot to the rim beside newly planted plant.
    Rub some on a couple of pebbles and put around plant.
    Introduce doggy (on a leash, just stand beside plant with him on lead and pretend to let him find out himself, ignore plant and dog or he will be curious) to plant (on a leash) and watch him not like it.

Doggy wont go near plant as smell is icky to them.

B :)

(Caution: Make sure to remove jar and contents as can be harmful if ingested, and some crazy dogs will eat anything! Use under careful supervision ONLY!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Lock up all the spades, shovels and trowels in the garden shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Similar moronic answers on AAM...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

RainyDay wrote:
    Quality :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

RainyDay wrote:

:D not very helpful but still :D

anyway the dogs no longer live with me so this issue is resolved.

Advertisement