Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

questions

• 24-05-2006 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi,
    Im getting ntl digital into my bedroom soon and im gonna splash out on a recorder of some kind.
    Im not big into discs like dvd/cds so maybe i dont need a dvd recorder or even player because i use my laptop for all disc watching, what little bit i do.
    For definite though i need a hdd recorder, pause and edit functions, networking ability, good tv tuning abilities and relatively quiet as its in my bedroom.

Im thinking a KISS player like this one
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=314774 hdd's a bit small though, is it possible to upgrade?

But i dont really know what my options are. Any help or links?
    Whats out there? a tivo? anything else?

thanks

oh and what exactly will ntl provide me with in the ntl in my bedroom? will i get just a connection point or a box too? what do i need to tune this into a recorder?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

The Kiss recorders aren't wonderful. Stick with Pioneer, Panasonic, Samsung or Toshiba. I've just bought the Pioneer 530 from richer sounds. They have the 433 which is similar with smaller hardrive (only holds max 200 hrs) still available. Currys/Dixons carry the Samsung 734 which is very good but difficult to edit on. Check out www.avforums.com and do a search on this site for previous threads.
    Hi,
    Im getting ntl digital into my bedroom soon and im gonna splash out on a recorder of some kind.
    Im not big into discs like dvd/cds so maybe i dont need a dvd recorder or even player because i use my laptop for all disc watching, what little bit i do.
    For definite though i need a hdd recorder, pause and edit functions, networking ability, good tv tuning abilities and relatively quiet as its in my bedroom.

Im thinking a KISS player like this one
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=314774 hdd's a bit small though, is it possible to upgrade?

But i dont really know what my options are. Any help or links?
    Whats out there? a tivo? anything else?

thanks

oh and what exactly will ntl provide me with in the ntl in my bedroom? will i get just a connection point or a box too? what do i need to tune this into a recorder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭because_I_can

ya i've been on all those forums and seen your posts there.
    Im gonna go with a pioneer 433 (or some similiar pioneer model) because it seems like the dard drive upgrade is simple plus it has great reviews.
    The only thing im concerned about is ntl digital. can a pioneer 433 pick up ntl digital? Or is this a non issue. Im just confused that some models have a tv tuner and some a digital tuner...

http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=3&SUB=25&ProductID=341

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

ya i've been on all those forums and seen your posts there.
    Im gonna go with a pioneer 433 (or some similiar pioneer model) because it seems like the dard drive upgrade is simple plus it has great reviews.
    The only thing im concerned about is ntl digital. can a pioneer 433 pick up ntl digital? Or is this a non issue. Im just confused that some models have a tv tuner and some a digital tuner...

http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=3&SUB=25&ProductID=341

You can connect your ntl box by scart to the recorder and your analogue aerial by coax. Then you can select to record from the scart input but this is tricky using timers as you also have to remind the ntl box to change program unless you use something like phantom pvr which sends a signal to your dvd to record whenever you set a reminder for a show.

Dunno what you mean about hard drive upgrade but you should have tons with over 200 hrs possible with that unit. I decided on the 530 just in case I needed the extra room. You definitely can't go wrong with these pioneers by the sounds of things.

Advertisement