Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs Transfer Rumours And General Chat

• 24-05-2006 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Davies bid rejected

Davids off to Ajax?

Berbatov in

Carlton Cole for 2 million?

Chimbonda ?

Someone needs to take Jols pc and copy of FM06, you cant buy 11 new players every season!

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

I always assumed the mass arrivals/departures of the past few years were due to Arnesen rather than Jol, what with his book of players and all.

With Comoli I don't think things will be as hectic. Chimbonda would be I think a good signing. Stalteri was responsible it some way for so many of the goals we conceded this season that it was ridiculous. With Kelly on the way out a new right back is essential. A new left back could be good too. Lee was a bit hit and miss last year but he gets up and down the wing well which is a big plus while we don't play an out and out left winger. Speaking of which that's another position that badly needs attention.

Not really sure about Carlton Cole, I haven't seen enough of him to properly comment. Davids leaving wouldn't be the end of the world. He did pretty well fr most of the season but hopefully he'll be needed less and less next year with Jenas and Carrick developing and he's a) on a big wage for the bench, b) is unlikely to be too happy on the bench, and c) unlikely to be able to play his style without regular football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Woohoo our own transfers thread :D

It's amazing the amount of people we've already been linked with, Luke Young being another now. Then there's Marcus Babel, with what's rumoured to be some sort of swap deal with Davids, who wants to go back to Ajax. Cole I hear is a done deal, though I don't know what's going to happen to Mido. Bid for Downing rejected, or at least rumours of a bid. As for Chimbonda, it's a lot of money to spend on someone that has had one good season in the EPL. If he were a striker everyone would be harping on about him benig a one season wonder.

I reckon with Berbatov, Keane, Defore, and perhaps Cole/Mido we'll be ok up front, though need a left-winger, and a right-back. And maybe backup for left back! Not too much to ask is it? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

i don't see the need for spurs to get another CB, if they sell Defoe then they should make a move for Duff. That would be magic!

Not sure if Young would want to come back, I don't really seem him being a potential regular starter. Yeah Duff would be great, i don't think it'd necessarily be outside the bounds of possibility.

i think they are missing maybe two world class players on the left hand side, if they fill those positions there is no reason why they couldn't mount a challange for the title in the next two seasons. Jenas & Carrick need to develop a bit further imo too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Supposedly we had a 7.5 million bid for Downing turned down. Also supposed to be in talks with Denilson who is available on a free. We need to get left midfield, right back sorted asap. Lee could also do with some decent competition at left back. Carlton Cole imo would be a good understudy to Berbatov. Mido is going to leave and Defeo will stay imo. Would like to see Curtis Davis at the club, Gardner isnt good enough imo and we suffered too much when King was out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Playboy wrote:
    Also supposed to be in talks with Denilson who is available on a free.
    Does anyone know how true this piece is:
    "An impressive season in which he helped Bordeaux to finish second in Ligue 1 has rebuilt his reputation, although Triaud is no longer willing to continue paying Denilson his reported £23,000-per-week wage, even though the club have qualified for next season's Champions League."
    http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/62710.html

Denilson said he'd be willing to make sacrifises with his wage salary for the good of his career. I would have expected him to be on £50-60k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

How odd, a lad from Seville on Work Exp in my job for next few weeks and we were talking about Denilson and what happened ie how do you go from a 20 million player with a 50 million buy out clause to france on a free.

Seemingly hes likes beer and parties, his wife also liked beer and parties and Denilson wasnt doing it on the pitch due to this.

Not a bad player to get on a free i suppose.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Playboy wrote:
    Would like to see Curtis Davis at the club, Gardner isnt good enough imo and we suffered too much when King was out.

Agreed, Gardner is favoured over Davenport as #3 CB because he's got pace (so he's cover for King, with Dawson being as slow as a wet weekend). Don't think either Gardner or Davenport are good enough.

Just to ensure this thread doesn't die on its arse, here's the latest official news from Spurs:
    The Club has exercised its option to extend the contract of defender Stephen Kelly by a further year.

The new Republic of Ireland international, who made his debut on Wednesday evening against Chile, has made 43 first team appearances in our colours.

Striker Mido will return to Roma this summer at the conclusion of his 18-month loan period, while we also say farewell to Goran Bunjevcevic and Noureddine Naybet.

No surprise with the three departures, but Kelly getting another year is a bit of a shock.

Kelly extension is a shock in that he seemed convinced he wanted to go. From Spurs' side it's not as he's a good player. The fact that it's onyl one year suggests he's still thinnking about leaving but not willing to end up somewhere he doesn't want to be.

I'd have liked to have keeped Mido but he wouldn't have been first choice with Berbatov so it's not the end of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

couple more signings rumoured today, move news when i hear.

one is that carlton cole was a t the spurs trinaing ground yesterday...

Sunday paper rumour round up

Sunday Mirror says Wayne Routledge will be Iain Dowies 1st signing as charlton manager after we made him available for 1 mil, they also report that Pascal Chimbonda will sign for us this week after we made on offer of 2.5mil + Reto Ziegler and Danny Murphy which is acceptable to them. Jol also wants to sign Wayne Bridge from Chelsea and is monitoring the situations of Damien Duff and Shaun Wright Phillips and we are ready to sell Andy Reid to Portsmouth for 2mil.

NOTW Says Blackburn will offer Morten Gamst edersen a new contract worth £40,000 a week to stop him moving to Spurs, they also say Pascal Chimbonda is ready to go to war with Wigan and force a 4.2mil move to us, his agent Roger Boli says Tottenham are offering 4.2mil and Wigan want 6.3mil, for a player who cost them £550,000 its not normal. Birmingham want to sign Anthony Gardner as well as Stephen Kelly.

Sunday People says Liverpool and Chelsea want to sign Defoe for around 9-10mil and we want to sign Bellamy as his replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

how many strikers do chelsea intend playing next season? or do they just want to sign every striker so no one else will have one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

if they sell Defoe then they should make a move for Duff. That would be magic!

I think duff would be a perfect signing for us. I wouldnt even mind giving up defoe for him.

Duff would be brill but there are a couple of other clubs that might suit him better, like Liverpool or Arsenal, considering Champs League and all that. Him on one side and Lennon on the other though - what a pair of wingers!

Reminds me very much of a Ruud type player. Wouldn't score many outside the box but just happens to be in the right place at the right time. That's something Spurs haven't really had

i have no problem if he wants to score 20 goals a season from the 6 yard box :)

Carlton Cole deal looks dead in the water. Allegedly he failed his medical, I won't say why for legal reasons...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Thank god, kinda! Wasnt really lookin forward to him coming. Hoping for somebody different - more proven, if u know what i mean. If Juve get relegated, i wouldnt mind a bit of Zlatan or Trezeguet coming over!

*Edit* Does that mean we'll try get Mido permanently?

• Advertisement

Mido's gone for good.

Personally I think Carlton Cole would have a been a great signing. Young, English, cheap and bags of potential. We need someone who is gonna be able to provide good cover for Berbatov and not be unsettled becuase they are warming the bench. Imo Keane, Defeo, Berbatov and Cole would be a great strikeforce for next season. Now if we can get Ribery, Duff, Downing or Denilson for the left wing, Chimbonda for right full back, Curtis Davis as competition for centre back, a good left back such as Matt Taylor as competition for Lee, Zakora as a replacement for Davids, get rid of murphy in favour of a better central attacking midfielder to provide competition for Jenas, then imo we could be challenging for the title in a couple of years.

Hehe all that would be sweet, though there would be some great coups in there. I can't see Ribery wanting to come to us, or us affording him, but I'd be delighted with Duff, a backup striker, and Zakora, with maybe Chimbonda in there too :)

maybe we should get mathew etherington and luke young back again as well!

why did we get rid of brown and then bring in Murphy? Most pointless non sensical piece of business all season.

i actualy liked brown.
    no idea why we bought murphy

latest reports have davenport linked for a move. not sure where though, or whether its true.

anyone hear any more about carrick to man utd?

i actualy liked brown.
    no idea why we bought murphy

latest reports have davenport linked for a move. not sure where though, or whether its true.

anyone hear any more about carrick to man utd?

Carrick wont be going anywhere. Even if he wanted to go Spurs wouldnt let him. But there is a great teamspirit at tottenham with all the guys being young and friends so I cant see him wanting to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

i wouldnt be surprised to see carrick leave. he has 2 years left atm. if an offer comes in, and he is not willing to sign a new contract he will be off. levy is no idiot.

I don't expect any of our better players to leave this season unless the club wants rid of them (Defoe springs to mind) The likes of Carrick, Lennon and Robbo will leave it another season before deciding if WHL is the best place for them to continue their career, they'd be mad to jump ship now.

• Advertisement

NOW has Zakaora's agent saying he'd love a move to Spurs. So would his agent I imagine if the fee is high enough...:rolleyes:

According to the star yesterday(I know, I know) Reid snubbed a move to manu and is holding out for spurs. Manu are now turning their attention to carrick with "Carricks departuer [easing] the way for Reid to return [to London]" also Duff is a no go becuase of his huge wages. Cant see us getting rid of Carrick just to get reid. Apparently Blackburn are looking for 10 mil. I think it would be bad business getting rid of Carrick for Reid. United are interested for a reason.

assume this is steven reid?

Sorry, yes Stephen Reid.

coz i was thinking that andy reid would never take carricks place....
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I was also very confused as to why United were signing Andy Reid :)

Is Spurs becoming the new Irish team, like Villa was back in the day?

• Advertisement

kelly, keane, steven reid and andy reid? and a couple of youngsters as well.

who knows?

dont care where they come from as long as they all play good football and win the league for us :)

i rate s.reid very highly and i think he would do a good job at spurs competting with carrick/jenas for a CM position. He can also play right mid and back too of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I can't see Reid leaving Blackburn. Why would he leave Blackburn where he's guaranteed his place to go to Spurs and more than likely sit on the bench? He's just had his best season of football in the Premiership and wants to continue that next season with Blackburn and Ireland (his words, not mine, in a recent interview).

There's also the fact that he can play as a defensive midfielder but prefers to get forward so I can't see why he'd been seen as a replacement for Carrick.

And let's not forget what MGP said about Spurs. Why would Reid say anything different. In terms of European football, Spurs can't offer anything Blackburn don't have.

Irish tabloids trying to sell papers to Irish readers IMO.

Lemlin wrote:

Irish tabloids trying to sell papers to Irish readers IMO.

English papers have been running with the story as well.

It is alleged Reid wants to get back down to London.

As for the "what can Spurs offer him?" argument, there's only so many times Mark Hughes (or others) will get away with saying to his players "but we're in the UEFA Cup as well!" Blackburn need to show ambition and staying power if they're to hold on to the best players. And Lemlin, thats a general comment, not a "Spurs are better than Blackburn" comment. ;)

p.s. I don't want us to sign Reid. Craig Bellamy on the other hand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

sounds like matt taylor is on his way, a nice addition to the squad

• Advertisement

English papers have been running with the story as well.

It is alleged Reid wants to get back down to London.

As for the "what can Spurs offer him?" argument, there's only so many times Mark Hughes (or others) will get away with saying to his players "but we're in the UEFA Cup as well!" Blackburn need to show ambition and staying power if they're to hold on to the best players. And Lemlin, thats a general comment, not a "Spurs are better than Blackburn" comment. ;)

p.s. I don't want us to sign Reid. Craig Bellamy on the other hand...

A slow news day perhaps? I've seen nothing yet which would lead me to believe that Reid, or any other Rovers player for that matter, wants to move to Spurs.

MGP, Reid and Bellamy have all been linked with moves away from the club but I still haven't seen anything substantial to show that any of the three have expressed a wish to.

It wasn't Hughes who made that comment about the UEFA Cup, it was MGP himself. Fact is Spurs finished two points above Blackburn this year, despite all the money they spent. Blackburn also went further in both cups, two cups that Spurs nodded out of without so much as a whimper.

Jol may want to show his ambition by signing players but I think Hughes prefers to show it by getting his team to perform above themselves on the pitch. He's already said he has a player or two in his sights and, with his track record of getting value for money so far, I'm looking forward to whomever he does sign (as long as its not Pongelle).

Its clear that Spurs have far better financial resources than Blackburn and London may be a draw for some players but most of the team seem hugely happy at Ewood and the board, players and fans know that Hughes is a manager who can bring the club places.

As for Bellers, it's amazing a year ago how nobody wanted to touch him, just look at him now. He's already been linked with Liverpool and Spurs this Summer, and I'd imagine he'll be linked with another few clubs before the end of the transfer window. I'd also imagine he'll be a Blackburn player then, let's not forget that Hughes stuck with him when few others would.

in all fairness, our overall balance sheet when it comes to sogning and selling players isnt that high. most of our players were affordable to any premier club. arron lennon cost us a million ffs.

with the exception of JJ, defoe and the new blokey, all of our other signings have been in the low end of the millions over the last 3 years. and have certainly been paid for by our sales of players.

although, rather ironically from football365
    Blackburn boss Mark Hughes is targeting Mido

Lemlin wrote:

It wasn't Hughes who made that comment about the UEFA Cup, it was MGP himself.

I'm well aware of that, hence the "Mark Hughes (or others)"
    Lemlin wrote:
    Fact is Spurs finished two points above Blackburn this year, despite all the money they spent. Blackburn also went further in both cups, two cups that Spurs nodded out of without so much as a whimper.

Fact is Bolton and Wigan finished above Everton in the PL, yet Andy Johnson still chose Goodison Park over the other two. Wigan finished above Fulham, yet their best player will be playing at Craven Cottage next year.
    Lemlin wrote:
    Jol may want to show his ambition by signing players but I think Hughes prefers to show it by getting his team to perform above themselves on the pitch.

Jol doesn't want to show ambition,he is showing ambition. Hughes did a tremendous job last season at Ewood Park, but to maintain that progress he'll need to improve his squad. All of the sides around Blackburn have or will invest in new players who will significantly improve their squad. Blackburn can't rely on Hughes' organisational skills for ever, much like Bolton won't be able to rely on Alardyce's skills as a man manager on a sh*tty budget for ever (and their bid for AJ was an admission to that effect)

Blackburn can't rely on Hughes' organisational skills for ever, much like Bolton won't be able to rely on Alardyce's skills as a man manager on a sh*tty budget for ever (and their bid for AJ was an admission to that effect)

or even curbishly at charlton.

now theres a team that suffered seriously through lack of investment.

in all fairness, our overall balance sheet when it comes to sogning and selling players isnt that high. most of our players were affordable to any premier club. arron lennon cost us a million ffs.

with the exception of JJ, defoe and the new blokey, all of our other signings have been in the low end of the millions over the last 3 years. and have certainly been paid for by our sales of players.

Michael Dawson and Andy Reid cost 8 million AFAIK. That's 4 million each, hardly in the lower ends of the millions considering what players tend to be sold for today.

As for the balance sheet, have a look here: http://www.topspurs.com/thfc-transfers.htm. Spurs spent 15 million on players in '05/'06. They also spent about that in '04/'05 and about the same the year before too (I couldn't be arsed adding up the figures to get an exact amount but they're there).

The sale of players in those three seasons brought in about 20 million, a bit over one season's budget. That leaves a difference of 25 million so any manager they've had has had a fair bit of cash to play around with.

Spurs may not splash the cash for big transfers too often but when you look at their collective spending, it reveals alot.
    Originally posted by therecklessone
    Jol doesn't want to show ambition,he is showing ambition. Hughes did a tremendous job last season at Ewood Park, but to maintain that progress he'll need to improve his squad. All of the sides around Blackburn have or will invest in new players who will significantly improve their squad. Blackburn can't rely on Hughes' organisational skills for ever, much like Bolton won't be able to rely on Alardyce's skills as a man manager on a sh*tty budget for ever (and their bid for AJ was an admission to that effect)

And where exactly has it been said that Hughes will have a ****ty budget? Admittedly Rovers haven't the sort of cash Spurs have but Hughes has made it clear since the start of the Summer that he'll be making a few signings and that money has been made available for him to do so.

Just yesterday on the official site, he talked about how he has his eye on a number of options to replace Craig Bellamy. He is also going to the World Cup scouting players and I would expect the squad to be adequately improved come the start of next season.
    Blackburn boss Mark Hughes is targeting Mido

I certainly hope it's true. I'd love to see him at the club. He was a great player for Spurs for alot of last season IMO and he'd be the perfect partner for Bellamy.

All that he would require is some good man management and Hughes has already shown he can control some of the biggest egos in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Mido and Bellamy could be an excellent pairing if that were to happen...

mmm Mido / Bellamy or Heskey / Bellamy ..... I hope they get Mido!
    but you'd never know it could turn out to be Mido / Heskey....disaster!

What are the chances of Bellamy going to Spurs and Defoe going to Rovers?

Lemlin wrote:
    Michael Dawson and Andy Reid cost 8 million AFAIK. That's 4 million each, hardly in the lower ends of the millions considering what players tend to be sold for today. .

well, we did raise 15 million specifically for buying players about 2 years ago, so our actual outlay is still only around 10 million. not exactly the sort of budget that a top 6 club would want to be stiffled at. but im not going to debate how much money spurs have spent, i was merely making the point that in the grand scheme of things, we havent spent that much.
    Lemlin wrote:
    All that he would require is some good man management and Hughes has already shown he can control some of the biggest egos in the PL.

i think that his attitude was moslty good, but i do know there were a number of playground spats with mido. but i think the real reason why he didnt sign in the end was becuase his fitness wasnt up to scratch.

there is no denying he is talented, and he is a wonderful team player, and if blackburn got him and kept him fit, then he would be an awesome buy.

Lemlin wrote:
    And where exactly has it been said that Hughes will have a ****ty budget?

I don't know, I didn't say it anyway.

Lemlin wrote:
    I certainly hope it's true. I'd love to see him at the club. He was a great player for Spurs for alot of last season IMO and he'd be the perfect partner for Bellamy.

I wish Mido well wherever he goes, but I fear for his sake that he's just too troublesome to apply himself sufficiently as a professional footballer.

Mido was lucky to be at Spurs last season at all. Himself, Freddie Kanoute and Timmy Atouba refused to go on the club's Summer tour of Mauritus, Martin Jol was furious and shipped the latter two out in the Summer window. Mido only kept his place because he apologised and promised to work on his fitness. He started the season a stone and a half lighter, and was excellent up to Christmas. Of course, he had the motivation that he was playing for a contract (having been told by Jol he had to maintain his fitness levels, and score goals to get a deal)

Mido returned from the ACoN overweight and unfit (which was glaringly obvious after 60 minutes of each game), and was either unwilling or unable to address the two problems. Rumours also abounded of him acting like a prima donna at the club when it was clear he wasn't getting automatically back into the side.

I would urge caution on Mark Hughes, regardless of his own man management skills. Mido has had a problem with every manager he has worked under.

Anyway, back on topic...Spurs transfers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement