Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

So if the Spurs rumours are to be believed this would be the spurs team and subs bench next year as they once again try to break the top four (not that they got near that taret this year).

Robinson replacement

Hutton
    Dunne
    Woodgate
    Bale

G.Dos Santos--J.Jenas----L.Modric
    D.Capel

Keane----Berbatov/his replacement----

with Dawson, Gilberto, Bostock, Bent, Malbranque, sub GK & Lennon/Chimbonda/Boateng/Huddlestone (whoever hasnt been sold)

pretty impressive IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

How **** must your academy be when you have to nick kids left right and centre.....

Disgrace

How **** must your club be that even sides who can't offer CL football keep nicking your best players, and get to leave them in their reserves?

So if the Spurs rumours are to be believed this would be the spurs team and subs bench next year as they once again try to break the top four (not that they got near that taret this year).

Robinson replacement

Hutton
    Dunne
    Woodgate
    Bale

D.Capel

with Dawson, Gilberto, Bostock, Bent, Malbranque, sub GK & Lennon/Chimbonda/Boateng/Huddlestone (whoever hasnt been sold)

pretty impressive IMO

I suspect (based on rumoured targets) that the formation may well be something like 4-2-3-1 with Modric, Dos Santos and Capel providing support to either Berbatov or his replacement.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Robbie Keane will either find himself playing a support role in the 3, or sitting on the bench. Just a hunch mind.

I'd also be inclined to believe that Zokora has more chance of playing than Jenas in a straight 4-4-2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

How **** must your club be that even sides who can't offer CL football keep nicking your best players, and get to leave them in their reserves?

You'll get what's comin to ya with another p*xy mid table finish.

Yo're an utter disgrace.

Started doing it a few years ago now, nicking all the most promising young Championship players then leaving them to rot in their reserves before eventually moving out on loan a few years older and not having played senior football regularly for a season or two. Any wonder the likes of Calum Davenport and Wayne Routledge have flopped?

I'll take solace in the fact that while we may be in league one, we'll be back in the Champions League long before you ever even first qualify for it

I'll take solace in the fact that while we may be in league one, we'll be back in the Champions League long before you ever even first qualify for it

Best of luck with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Dos Santos to Spurs, from the Barcelona website;

http://www.fcbarcelona.cat/web/english/noticies/futbol/temporada07-08/06/n080602104464.html

Not on the Spurs site yet, but a very good price considering what was being mentioned originally. Works out at £4.7 million sterling initially, with various sell on and performance related increases.

I'm not believing it until it's on the Spurs site.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

It's on skysports.com, great signing for spurs.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3657262,00.html

Spurs will pay an initial 6million euros (£4.7million) for Giovani with the fee possibly rising by another £3.9million depending on appearances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Really duno about that signing. Get the impression hes soon gonna start feeling hes too big for the club and flop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

DSB wrote: »
    Really duno about that signing. Get the impression hes soon gonna start feeling hes too big for the club and flop.

yeah me too. there's something strange that Barca would let him go for so cheaply...

• Advertisement

I heard rumours a while ago (on here I think) that him and Ronaldinho didn't even train with the team. Had their own routine or something. Dunno if thats true though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

i saw him in the nou camp in january, jeez he's tiny. might be one for the future but he's gotta beef up or he's gonna get slated in the prem....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

How **** must your academy be when you have to nick kids left right and centre.....

Disgrace

My god how many times do you have to say this?

Leeds have a quality academy and produce some amazing youth, we dont. Big fvckin deal. We're trying to build a decent team ffs!

How many of players from any of the top 4 and the teams around us are home grown. Your point has been well and truely made, we nick youngsters, rightio, live with it. Thank god the rolleyes smiley is back:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You'll get what's comin to ya with another p*xy mid table finish.

Yo're an utter disgrace.

Started doing it a few years ago now, nicking all the most promising young Championship players then leaving them to rot in their reserves before eventually moving out on loan a few years older and not having played senior football regularly for a season or two. Any wonder the likes of Calum Davenport and Wayne Routledge have flopped?

Your teams the disgrace mate. We're trying to build a team of promising youngsters, Leeds are an advert for everything wrong with modern football. Greed, spending more than you can, not giving a sh1t about the bottom line.

Your clubs a cautionary tale for everyone else about how not to do things. Fair enough our academy is not the best in the world but you have absolutely no right to ciriticise the way other teams run their clubs.......especially when even now in the big games your team gives such passionless displays.

Look we took a few good players off you, I can understand your pissed with that but get over it, stop holding a grudge and stop b1tching about it....You'll live longer....maybe even long enough to see your team in the championship again;)

Babybing wrote: »
    Your teams the disgrace mate. We're trying to build a team of promising youngsters, Leeds are an advert for everything wrong with modern football. Greed, spending more than you can, not giving a sh1t about the bottom line.

Your clubs a cautionary tale for everyone else about how not to do things. Fair enough our academy is not the best in the world but you have absolutely no right to ciriticise the way other teams run their clubs.......especially when even now in the big games your team gives such passionless displays.

Look we took a few good players off you, I can understand your pissed with that but get over it, stop holding a grudge and stop b1tching about it....You'll live longer....maybe even long enough to see your team in the championship again;)

Granted, Leeds fans aren't really in a position to take the moral highground. But Tottenham's policy of poaching players from other clubs academies isn't exactly moral either. Poor oul Wayne Routledge.

Granted, Leeds fans aren't really in a position to take the moral highground. But Tottenham's policy of poaching players from other clubs academies isn't exactly moral either. Poor oul Wayne Routledge.

I dont see whats not moral about it. Are we the only club who does this?

We have ambitions of playing in the Champions League, what can we offer CL standard players over Manu, clesea, Arsenal and Pool?

We just cant compete. We therefore need to find quality youngsters who we feel may someday be that standard and get before they are at that level. Whats the alernative, concede we will never be at CL level and just leave the big 4 to it forever?

As for poor Wayne Routledge, what do you mean? We bought him played him a few times, it didnt work out so we loaned him out and then sold him. Standard practice in football no?

I dont see whats not moral about it. Are we the only club who does this?

We have ambitions of playing in the Champions League, what can we offer CL standard players over Manu, clesea, Arsenal and Pool?

We just cant compete. We therefore need to find quality youngsters who we feel may someday be that standard and get before they are at that level. Whats the alernative, concede we will never be at CL level and just leave the big 4 to it forever?

As for poor Wayne Routledge, what do you mean? We bought him played him a few times, it didnt work out so we loaned him out and then sold him. Standard practice in football no?

Generally the idea would be to invest money in a good youth academy. Instead of stealing players from clubs who aren't willing to let them go. 16 year olds are far too young to be considered a transfer commodity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

16 year olds are far too young to be considered a transfer commodity.

While I and I'm sure many others agree with you, this is football, and age will always be overlooked when talent is involved. I don't think Spurs tactics of 'stealing' highly rated youngsters is any different to any club of similar or bigger size. The vast majority of players get their chance to impress in the first team, and either through poor coaching or poor progression they are sold on.

I can't vouch for the coaching thing and perhaps it is an area that could be improved, considering how many youngsters we have bought over the years that haven't made it, but these players are brought in for a reason, and trained to do a job, which just doesn't come off most of the time.

• Advertisement

SuprSi wrote: »
    I don't think Spurs tactics of 'stealing' highly rated youngsters is any different to any club of similar or bigger size.

It is really though, throwing that sort of money in front of a 16 year old to take him away from the club hes developing at, is a fairly different prospect from say signing Carrick or Hargreaves or any of the recent signings of the big clubs. I'm steering clear of mentioning Chelsea here though because their signing practices have been equally dodgy as far as signing players because they can and ruining talent.

Ok I understand that, but who has the financial clout to spend well over 30 million on two central midfielders? The top 4, to greater or lesser degrees, and outside that clubs have to gamble on a youngster coming good for a decent price. Return of investement is key, and if Spurs didn't buy Bostock, as an example, Chelsea or another bigger club would have.

Ok I understand that, but who has the financial clout to spend well over 30 million on two central midfielders?
    I'd estimate that Spurs haven't spent that much less than United in the last 3 years really. They were able to waste 16 million on Darren Bent when they already had Berbatov, Keane and Defoe like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Robinson replacement

Hutton
    Dunne
    Woodgate
    Bale

D.Capel

pretty impressive IMO

Honestly think that team would be torn to bits by anyone playing a 4131 formation.
    Jenas certainly isnt going to put in the tackles in midfield and neither is Modric.
    Plently of attacking talent but a bit lightweight when you are relying on Jenas to be your holding midfielder.
    Cant see Dos Santos slotting straight into the team, will take a season for him to adapt surely
    since he seems very lightweight yet. Has amazing technique and ability so maybe a force in the future

It is really though, throwing that sort of money in front of a 16 year old to take him away from the club hes developing at, is a fairly different prospect from say signing Carrick or Hargreaves or any of the recent signings of the big clubs. I'm steering clear of mentioning Chelsea here though because their signing practices have been equally dodgy as far as signing players because they can and ruining talent.

Or giussepe Rossi or Aaron Ramsey or David Gray?

Look I can fully understand people having a view that signing 16 and 17 year olds is wrong but please dont be naive enough (or biased enough) to think it only happens at spurs.

IrishMike wrote: »
    Honestly think that team would be torn to bits by anyone playing a 4131 formation.
    Jenas certainly isnt going to put in the tackles in midfield and neither is Modric.
    Plently of attacking talent but a bit lightweight when you are relying on Jenas to be your holding midfielder.
    Cant see Dos Santos slotting straight into the team, will take a season for him to adapt surely
    since he seems very lightweight yet. Has amazing technique and ability so maybe a force in the future

Bad if were getting torn apart by ten men squads;)

Look I can fully understand people having a view that signing 16 and 17 year olds is wrong but please dont be naive enough (or biased enough) to think it only happens at spurs.

Cardiff are willing to sell Aaron Ramsey. So thats a different kettle of fish altogether. I actually don't know much about the Rossi situation, and I don't know who David Gray is, nor am I trying to say Spurs are the only club at it, its just been particularly bad from Spurs as far as I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Totally agree
    Arsenal do it constantly as do Liverpool and Chelsea.
    How many Spanish youngsters have the big 4 poached over the past 4 or 5 years?
    People need to get down off their high horses every big club does it.
    Bad if were getting torn apart by ten men squads;)

Damn typos ;);)
    Well spotted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Well first of all i dont get why Barca sold him when he was marked with Bojan as future top class player in the world and now they sold him so easily and cheap,thats suspicious,anyway that can be really good signing for Spurs and anyway not huge money invested in with this transfer so they will see soon will that pay off

• Advertisement

Cardiff are willing to sell Aaron Ramsey. So thats a different kettle of fish altogether. I actually don't know much about the Rossi situation, and I don't know who David Gray is, nor am I trying to say Spurs are the only club at it, its just been particularly bad from Spurs as far as I can see.

At most we're guilty of nicking two or three players from clubs who don't want to lose their brightest young talents.

Death or Glory is pissed off because we took Lennon and Matthew Rose off Leeds (and the better half of their previous managerial team, plus maybe Willem Korsten ;)). In Lennon's case he took a pay cut to come to Spurs, and Leeds had to sell him because they couldn't afford to pay his wages. Don't believe me? believe Kevin Blackwell then:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/leeds_united/5029096.stm

Wayne Routledge was really unlucky, picking up an injury right at the start of his time at Spurs, and by the time he'd regained fitness Lennon was a first team fixture and we were pushing for 4th place. Not exactly the perfect time to try and ease a player back, was it? He never really recovered from that.
    as far as I can see.

That's the point. Spurs are getting stick for purchasing young players from other sides while United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and others poach from across the globe. Did Barcelona want to lose Cesc Fabregas, Fran Merida, Gerard Pique? Jeez, United have even managed to get Barca to buy Pique back! How's that for poaching players!

10 of the 11 Chelsea players that started their FA Youth Cup Final 2nd leg tie were signed from other clubs. Liverpool's reserves who won the national league were made up almost entirely of foreign players.
    English clubs’ pillaging of overseas youth systems causes the greatest resentment abroad. The French are furious about Manchester United courting two of their best under16s, Darnel Situ and Jeremy Helen, of Lens and Rennes respectively. Helen’s mother said: “Jeremy is a stable boy and I cannot see any difference between living in Rennes or Manchester if you have a good entourage. My son and I have talked with Alex Ferguson. Inter Milan, Newcastle, Arsenal, Real Madrid and Everton also contacted him. Money will not make his choice. To him, Manchester United offers the best career path.”

In Holland, there is anger about two starlets, Jeffrey Bruna and Jordy Brouwer, going to Chelsea and Liverpool. Ten players starting for Chelsea in the FA Youth Cup final second leg were signed from elsewhere, for a total of around £6m. Liverpool have just won the national Reserve League using a squad almost exclusively staffed by foreign under-21s. Their coach, Gary Ablett, noted that when he was a youth player at Anfield his peers were such as Paul Jewell and Jim Magilton, but added: “Football has changed a lot since then and the world has become a much smaller place. In the past, Liverpool would have looked to bring in youth players with potential from clubs down the English league, but these days the market is such that if we go in for a player from a lower division club, that club asks for ridiculous money. That’s why we’ve looked to recruit more from the continent . . . and that’s the direction we’ll continue to head in.”

Barcelona have just paid Manchester United £6m for Gerard Pique, a player from their own youth system pinched by United when he was 17. They lost Fabregas similarly and two more players they developed, Liverpool’s Daniel Pacheco and Arsenal’s Fran Merida, could make Premier League debuts next season.

In the case of Merida, a Fabregas clone loaned to Real Sociedad last season, the player (and effectively Arsenal) was forced to pay £2m after Barcelona won a compensation wrangle.

La Liga clubs lose teenagers to England because Spain does not allow players to sign professional contracts until they are 18. “The law is a little behind. You hear of stories about a kid who is too young to have a labour contract so a job is offered to his father [by a foreign club],” said Soriano. “We need laws to protect against that because it’s not good for the individual, and it’s a disincentive for clubs to invest in youth. Among the big clubs in Europe we’re becoming more respectful of each other, but some clubs don’t follow the rules. And sometimes this industry behaves like it’s the beginning of the 20th century when we’re in the 21st century.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/article4039977.ece

So for the sake of consistency, can you all pop into the other superthreads and berate those teams for their transfer policies? Or is it ok as long as the players are foreign types?

For the record, our reserve team (under Clive Allen) won the southern reserve league the season before this one just finished with a team almost exclusively made up of homegrown players, and our academy sides have won a couple of international tournaments in the last year:

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/proudofthelads130508.html

The most recent player to step up from our youth set up is Jamie O'Hara (who ironically was in Arsenal's academy before joining ours) and but for a series of injuries Terry Dixon was expected to do the same. The club are trying to get planning permission for a new training facility and academy in Enfield but have been knocked back a number of times. We ARE investing in our youth set up, we just haven't done as well as other sides (many of whom HAVE to rely on their youth set up due to lack of money).

I'm not believing it until it's on the Spurs site.

:D

I'm almost believing it! ;)
    subject to a medical and agreeing personal terms.

Meaningless friendly, but the highlights from our 8-0 win in Spain vs Taverns

dos Santos bagged two, and Jamie O'Hara scored a peach from 20yds at the end.

mms://video.premiumtv.co.uk/club_spursfc/taverneshi.wmv

Open that url in either Windows Media Player or Realplayer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Anthony Gardner has joined Hull City on loan until January.

Also Blackburn have confirmed they are in talks with Spurs ovr move for David Bentley.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

so how are Spurs going to line up this season ?

........................Gomez

Hutton.....Woodgate.....King.....Bale

..............Huddlestone(Zakora)

Bentley........................?(Lennon/Dos Santos)

............Arshavin.....Modric........

....................New CF (Bent/Berbatov)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Ok window is almost over and harry has brought in a few new faces
    I reckon we'll prob line up like this
    Gomes/Cudicini
    Corluka - Woodgate/king - Dawson - Assou-Ekotto

Lennon - Palacios - Jenas - Quaresma

Defo - Keane(if medical goes ok)
    Subs
    Bent
    Pav
    Modric(omitted from starting 11 due to sparatic performances)
    Chimbonda
    Bently
    Zokora
    Gomes/Cudicini

• Advertisement

If Defoe is fit after his "3 week" lay off, he is unlikely to play with Keane. More likely be Pav and Defoe up top.

I suppose they have seemed to strike a good cord recently when playing together but Harry said himself a few weeks ago that he's still looking for his best combination of players.

two bids accepted for dos santos probably to finance our latest splurg

Defo out for 10 weeks now has to have surgery. Keane to make debut(again) against arsenal. Dissapointed we didn't sign a LB or quaresma but at least we got another striker in before the window closed.

Thought I'd dust this thread off to post more details of the planned new stadium:

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/uploads/assets/docstore/THS_32+4pp_Booklet_AW.pdf

That's a big pdf by the way, so will take a while to open. Cliff notes version: similar to Emirates but lower tier closer to touchline and steeper gradient in upper tier. 58k capacity, away fans will be in north-east corner rather than south-west as in current stadium.

On the day that's in it, I think the joke is it will never be built by ENIC...;)

• Advertisement

Thought I'd dust this thread off to post more details of the planned new stadium:

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/uploads/assets/docstore/THS_32+4pp_Booklet_AW.pdf

That's a big pdf by the way, so will take a while to open. Cliff notes version: similar to Emirates but lower tier closer to touchline and steeper gradient in upper tier. 58k capacity, away fans will be in north-east corner rather than south-west as in current stadium.

On the day that's in it, I think the joke is it will never be built by ENIC...;)
    Also we save a fortune on steel and cement cause of the recession knocking £40m off the price think they said it was priced about £250m somewhere don't know if thats before or after the 40m off tho

Wait what are they doing with the cockeral?

The Sun is running with this bollox:
    SPURS could be dragged into an explosive legal fight that might trigger an FA probe.

The row centres around Jermain Defoe's controversial £7.5million move from Tottenham to Portsmouth in January 2008.

A High Court judge yesterday ruled phone records belonging to former Tottenham player Mitchell Thomas and agent Stuart Peters can be produced as evidence to establish whether there was contact involving Spurs chairman Daniel Levy, Portsmouth executive chairman Peter Storrie and then boss Harry Redknapp.

Defoe's former agent Sky Andrew claims he was wrongly cut out of the deal.

Peters was acting as Tottenham's representative and Thomas is not licensed as an agent.

If Andrew wins his legal challenge, it could force the FA to launch a new investigation to discover whether an unlicensed agent was involved.

Last season, Luton were docked a total of 30 points for breaching FA financial rules that cover fees paid to agents

An FA spokesman said: "This is an ongoing case that is being heard under FA rules by a court of arbitration.

"But we have no special privileges that would let us know at what stage the hearing has reached to determine the final outcome."

As usual, a poor standard of journalism.

Luton Town were docked 10 points for financial irregularities, and that was for a hell of a lot of charges:

Luton Town have 17 charges, relating to payments to agents for nine specific player negotiations which were allegedly made through Jayten, rather than through the club as required by FA rules.

The Hatters have also been charged with provision of misleading information to the FA, not holding representation contracts with the relevant agents for the above negotiations, and dealing with two unlicensed agents (both through Jayten and directly).

Former chairman Bill Tomlins has been handed 15 charges. It is alleged that he was directly involved in 19 of the rule breaches listed above (except negotiations with two unlicensed agents which were not conducted through Jayten).

Former finance director Derek Peter is alleged to have approved payments made by Jayten in relation to the nine player negotiations.

Current directors John Mitchell and Richard Bagehot are charged with failing to report the alleged rule breaches to the FA when they became aware of them.

Funnily enough, the agents involved included:
    Licensed players' agents Sky Andrew, Mike Berry, Mark Curtis, Stephen Denos, David Manasseh and Andrew Mills are each charged with failing to ensure that payments to them were made and disclosed through the proper channels, and failing to enter into representation contracts with the club for specific services rendered in relation to above negotiations.

Andrew is not the most popular man at Spurs as he was the agent for Judas when he left for Arsenal :mad:

Anyway, a better comparison would be to the fines handed out to Arsenal, Leeds, Preston and others for similar offences in the past.

Spurs agree deal with Pompey for Peter Crouch.

Medical and player contract should be formalities.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/crouchdealagreed270709.html

Rumoured fee is £10m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,153 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Spurs agree deal with Pompey for Peter Crouch.

Medical and player contract should be formalities.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/crouchdealagreed270709.html

Rumoured fee is £10m.

What a waste of £10m, Arry's buying up his old players out of Portsmouth :(

How utterly underwhelming :( I hope I end up eating my words but I can't see him being much better than what we currently have.

How utterly underwhelming :( I hope I end up eating my words but I can't see him being much better than what we currently have.

He won't score more than Bent, but with Defoe and Keane at the club we need someone who can partner them both, and Crouch looks the better option on that front. Pavlyuchenko still needs to settle, but might end up leaving as well.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jul/27/peter-crouch-transfer-tottenham-portsmouth
    Tottenham sealed a deal for Crouch after day of intense negotiations with Portsmouth. The fee Spurs will pay for Crouch is significantly less than the £12m which Portsmouth accepted this month from Sunderland. Tottenham, aware of Pompey's precarious finances, had sought to drive down the price. Although Harry Redknapp, the Tottenham manager, denied on Sunday claims by his Portsmouth counterpart, Paul Hart, that a fee had been agreed, it always looked a matter of when rather than if he would sign Crouch.

Portsmouth are still involved in prolonged negotiations with Sulamain al-Fahim regarding the Emirates-based businessman's buy-out of the club, a process related to its difficult financial predicament which includes an outstanding loan of at least £30m to the South African bank Standard Bank that needs servicing by August. This explains Redknapp's bullish stance regarding the deal for Crouch, with the manager – who has worked with the striker at Southampton and Portsmouth – feeling comfortable enough to describe Portsmouth's proposed £12m fee as too much for a player aged 28.

Sunderland agreed to pay that but once it became clear Crouch had no desire to move to the north-east the club withdrew its offer and so weakened Portsmouth's negotiating position.

Portsmouth confirmed last night that Crouch's departure was needed to help the club meet its debt repayment obligations. "His sale was necessitated by the club's commitment to repay scheduled debts while we are in the transitional period of completing the takeover," the club said in a statement. "We will now be looking to add fresh faces to the first-team squad as soon as possible."

Yet again we catch a club with their pants down and save a few £m, what goes around comes around though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

What a waste of £10m, Arry's buying up his old players out of Portsmouth :(

Crouch was good enough to be a squad player at Liverpool. He just wasn't happy with that role. He's definitely good enough for Spurs' squad. Whether he gets the game time he wants remains to be seen. You have 4 (5 if you include Bent) expensive strikers now.

eh........Crouch+£3 million Vs. Darren Bent?

Am I missing something here? Seems a complete no brainer:confused:

Not only is Crouch a much better player to Bent he will offer us something completely different. He will be worth his height in gold both when we are chasing games and when we are holding onto a lead and will prove a great partner for Defoe or Keane.

I get that it is underwhelming as he doesnt come from the Spanish league or have a five syllable surname but if you look at it objectively this is good business for the club and a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'd give Crouch 18 months before he moves again.

Stop Gap, Journey man.

Bent may not offer as much in build up play, but Bent has the ability IMO to be up there with the top scorers in the league.

• Advertisement
Advertisement