Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I would urge caution on Mark Hughes, regardless of his own man management skills. Mido has had a problem with every manager he has worked under.

Anyway, back on topic...Spurs transfers!

And Craig Bellamy hasn't? The funny thing about what you say is that people said the exact same about Bellamy a year ago and just look at the season he has had under Hughes.

Like you said though, back to the topic of Spurs' transfers, and hopefully they won't include any mention of Blackburn players, particularly MGP, Reid or Bellamy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Lemlin wrote:
    And Craig Bellamy hasn't?

Did he not get on okay with Sir Bobby?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Lemlin wrote:
    And Craig Bellamy hasn't?

Not with every manager, no.

Did he not get on okay with Sir Bobby?

I don't think he had any big bust-ups with Sir Bobby but he had quite a few with John Carver (or something like that), who was Bobby's assistant AFAIK.

Not with every manager, no.

Wow, how far Bellamy has come. Now people are actually sticking up for his reputation!

Maybe not every manager but he still has a very poor reputation, especially after the debacle with Souness last year. Of course, that's not mentioned by many of his critics now that he has proven Souness should of been starting him up front.

I firmly believe that Hughes could handle Mido. He's handled Savage, Todd and Neill pretty well so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

great, lets get rid of gardner now.
    i know someone wanted to buy him recently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

charlton i think it was

Know nothing about the guy, but nice to see us continue our policy of buying young players with potential for our future devolpment.

The Club is delighted to announce that it has reached agreement with RC Lens for the transfer of Benoit Assou-Ekotto, subject to a medical. Player terms have been agreed.

Born in Arras, France, the left-sided 22-year-old is one of the most highly-rated full-backs in Le Championnat.

Sporting Director Damien Comolli said: “Benoit is a young, extremely talented left-back.

He’s versatile and can play in three positions – left-back, on the left side of central midfield and left midfield. He will give Martin lots of flexibility on that flank.

“He’s regarded as one of the best prospects in French football and is an excellent signing for the Club.

“The player is ambitious and has always wanted to play in English football. He was consistent in his commitment to us in the negotiations we had with Lens despite a lot of interest from other clubs and Lens being reluctant to let him go.”

Benoit featured in 34 of 38 league games, starting 33, as Lens finished fourth in Ligue One last season.

Kicking-off last season in the Inter Toto Cup on July 3, he played in all of Lens’ games as they won that tournament and therefore secured a place in the UEFA Cup. He then played in seven of eight UEFA Cup matches as Lens went out to Udinese in the last 32.

After breaking into the first team with three appearances in 2003-04, Benoit caught the eye with 29 starts in 2004-05.

www.tottenhamhotspur.c...90606.html

Some info on our new boy

Since bursting onto the scene in 2004, Benoît Assou-Ekotto’s assured performances at left-back have installed him as Lens’ most consistent defender - and despite his young age his is one of the first names on Coach Francis Gillot’s team sheets.
    Not bad for someone who never really liked football, and only considered it as a career after his brother told him he could become wildly rich.
    Burning desire and raw talent may be the foundations for most professional footballers, but for Assou-Ekotto, working hard, staying loyal and listening to advice – particularly from your brother – is the way to get ahead in this job.
    Having joined Lens as a 10 year-old, following in the footsteps of his older brother Matthieu, Benoît Assou-Ekotto finally got a chance in Les Sang et Or’s first team when regular left-back Lachor was injured early in the 2004/05 season. However, if Benoît had had his own way, he’d be somewhere else doing… something else.
    “At 14 I went through a bad run with injuries and all I wanted to do was throw in the towel and get out of Lens,” he said. “But Matthieu persuaded me to stay and stick it out, and I’m glad I did. Lens is my team and my home.”
    The next defining moment in Assou-Ekotto’s career came just 12 months later playing against Paris Saint-Germain in the Under-15s. “I had replaced the left-back midway through the match after he’d been sent off,” he says. “The Coach continued to play me there and after a few games I was going to go and tell him that my position was back in midfield but my brother talked me out of it. He said: ‘You can’t find good left-backs on every street corner.’”
    Until 2004, Assou-Ekotto’s progress had been steady, if unspectacular, but his performances on the left of Lens’ defence, particularly since Gillot took over in February 2005, could not have gone unnoticed any longer. In February, Cameroon captain and former Lens defender Rigobert Song paid the Assou-Ekotto family a visit and sounded out Benoît as to wearing the colours of the Indomitable Lions at next year's World Cup.
    After another eye-catching game in Lens’ 2-0 victory over PSG soon after, Cameroon Coach Artur Jorge, made the official proposal but while Assou-Ekotto refused to accept the call-up due to personal reasons, he has vowed to wear the colours of his parents birth country - if he gets another chance.
    “I spoke to one of Artur Jorge’s assistants and Rigobert and explained that it was a personal problem that needed sorting out and they understood. As far as I’m concerned my choice is made, it’s Cameroon for me.”
    For someone who doesn’t really like football, he really is very good

• Advertisement

The Club can announce that agreement has been reached with Birmingham City for the transfer of Stephen Kelly to St Andrews.

The 22-year-old Irish international graduated through our Academy system and, after loan spells at Southend, QPR and Watford, made his Premiership debut in December 2003 against Charlton at the Lane.

The Dublin-born defender went on to make 43 first team appearances in our colours, scoring two goals.

We wish Stephen every success for the future

www.tottenhamhotspur.c...90606.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

So, according to the Man Utd transfer thread, Utd will sign Carrick for a fee of £7m after the world cup... Really hope it isnt true, i would hate to see him leave.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ahhh, Dorian Dervite, Championship Manager legend.

Assou-Ekotto was linked to Arsenal and Spurs a few days ago, I guess they got it right. Another forum's resident Frenchie was spitting blood at the prospect of him joining Arsenal, purely on the basis that he went to school with him and thinks he's a d1ckhead, so he'll be delighted with this news! Apparently he's a good player though, but pretty lightweight.

So, according to the Man Utd transfer thread, Utd will sign Carrick for a fee of £7m after the world cup... Really hope it isnt true, i would hate to see him leave.

I would be shocked if there was any truth to that rumour. First of all why would we sell him for a crappy 7 million. Second of all Carrick is at the world cup so is unable to discuss any details of a move. Third of all why would we want to sell one of our best players who Jol considers essential to the progression of the team? It just doesnt add up. I will believe it when either Spurs or Man U confirms it.

A new development in the last few minutes. Tottenham just turned down a 10million pound bid for Carrick.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/5066204.stm

We have reached agreement for the transfer of Mounir El Hamdaoui to Dutch team Willem II.

The striker arrived at the Club from another Dutch side, SC Excelsior, in January 2005.

Mounir, 21, had terrible luck in terms of injuries - typified by dislocating his shoulder during what was a promising loan spell in the Championship with Derby County last season – and wanted to return to Holland.

We wish Mounir all the best.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/mounirreturnstoholland090606.html

• Advertisement

Playboy wrote:
    A new development in the last few minutes. Tottenham just turned down a 10million pound bid for Carrick.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/5066204.stm

The best source for rumours on Spurs site FTL says this will happen, Utd came back in with a £13million bid. Bo**ox! :mad:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

With Davids seemingly on the way out too, that'd leave a fair sized gap to plug.

Mind you, not sure I want to see what Comolli does with another £13m really.

With Davids seemingly on the way out too, that'd leave a fair sized gap to plug.

I don't think we'll miss Davids TBH. I expect Huddlestone to step up to the 1st team in the absence of any big signings to replace Carrick (if he leaves), I've been very impressed with him any time I've seen him. He's earned rave reviews for the stiffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Huddlestone is a top quality player, one of the reason I respect Jol so much was the purchase of Huddlestone

15m and rooney for carrick :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Well as predicted, the market is at it's peak thanks to the money teams are now getting for television rights, etc. While I think Carrick is a good player, I would not have put him in the £13-15m bracket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Seconded. He isn't worth £15m, but I'd love to see SAF taking the plunge and bringing him to United. His passing is second to none in the league and would be a much needed creative catalyst in the heart of the team. Carrick-Scholes. Not too shabby!

Just curious, what price would either of you put on his head?

Just curious, what price would either of you put on his head?
    £7m. We don't know what £15m is worth to clubs now though compared to even 2 years ago.

eirebhoy wrote:
    £7m. We don't know what £15m is worth to clubs now though compared to even 2 years ago.

Less than half what it cost Chelsea for Mikel, one third of the cost of Essien (and less than Everton paid for a striker with 1 season's PL experience), cheers for the giggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I would reckon £10 million would be good business for United

besty wrote:
    I would reckon £10 million would be good business for United

Ah, so you're not so much convinced he's over-valued, just want Utd to do save a few quid...;)

Chelsea are not to be used as examples in transfer costs.

That should be a charter rule :)

I think a fair evalutation is 10 mil, so I figure United will pay 13

Less than half what it cost Chelsea for Mikel, one third of the cost of Essien (and less than Everton paid for a striker with 1 season's PL experience), cheers for the giggle.
    You can't seriously be using Chelsea as an example? It's slightly more than Newcastle paid for Parker and the same as Spurs paid for Jenas. As I said though, maybe £10m this season is the equivalent of £7m last with the increase in fixed income. Count yourselves lucky to be able to get bids of £10m, there's not a chance of any Celtic player ever getting close to that price in the near future.

Not great comparisons. After all, you could just as easily turn round and point out that Spurs paid as little as about 2 million for Danny Murphy, a former international who has more caps than Carrick (I'd presume anyway), Blackburn got Bellamy, a proven Premiership and European striker, for 5 million and Liverpool paid 10 million for Alonso, a superior player to Carrick with more experience.

Let's not forget that Spurs bought Carrick for 2-3 million just a season or two ago too.

I'd back up what the others have said too though, Chelsea are in a league of their own when it comes to transfers.

• Advertisement

the transfer market mabe one thing, but to spurs, i think he is worth 15m.

if he went to utd for that amount or more, i woudlnt have a problem. while his passing is awesome, i also think that if we wanted, we could play king in that position.

eirebhoy wrote:
    You can't seriously be using Chelsea as an example? It's slightly more than Newcastle paid for Parker and the same as Spurs paid for Jenas.

I thought we were'nt using Chelsea as examples (who was Parker playing for before Newcastle?) Difference with both of the transfer you've mentioned is that nobody in their right mind would describe either of the players who moved as an integral part of the side they left, both selling clubs got their good value for the player sold (though in Parker's case, I'd have gone higher than £6 million). In the case of Jenas, Newcastle replaced him with Emre and made a tidy profit of £3 million on the side. The Jenas transfer is a good point though, Carrick is a much better player than Jenas.

The comparison with JOM is valid in that he hasn't kicked a ball in England yet. And nobody's mentioned Andy Johnson...;)
    eirebhoy wrote:
    As I said though, maybe £10m this season is the equivalent of £7m last with the increase in fixed income.

At the end of the day the important factor is how much Spurs value the player. Every player has a price, its just a matter of how high others are prepared to go to meet that price. Carrick is an integral part of our side, the midfield is built around him, and to replace him will be a bloody difficult task. Taken on his own he's probably not worth more than £7 or £8 million, but as a component of an improving side he's worth more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,153 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

This will be a real test of Spurs bottle, so far they are playing hardball, which is good to see, but if we want to be seen as one of the big clubs in the Premiership we should not sell him.

Snake ;)

Bent 'Arry in for Defoe?
    Portsmouth have had a £12million offer for Jermain Defoe rejected by Barclays Premiership rivals Tottenham, according to a Portsmouth News report.

Good business at £12million+, so hopefully 'Arry will be back with his pockets bulging.

Bent 'Arry in for Defoe?

Good business at £12million+, so hopefully 'Arry will be back with his pockets bulging.

I don't think Defoe would move to Pompey. He'd only be up for signing for one of the larger clubs IMO.

you never know, carrick for a few quid and RVN?
    could be a good reason to sell defoe for 15m....

id do it. i like defoe, but i dont like him that much!

you never know, carrick for a few quid and RVN?
    could be a good reason to sell defoe for 15m....

id do it. i like defoe, but i dont like him that much!

Don't think so WWM, isn't Berbatov our 6 yard man? Could him and RVN play together?

Ruud will not go to a team not in the CL, don't be silly.

Martin Jol responds:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/5068762.stm
    BMJ wrote:
    "Manchester United put a bid in, we turned it down and that's it.

"Michael knows I gave him the chance ahead of Pedro Mendes, another terrific player, so he owes this club."

Bid believed to be £14 million now.

Jol's point re. mendes is interesting, I was thinking something similar myself, in that Spurs gave him a chance to shine on a bigger stage when others weren't prepared to take a chance on him (much like Paul Robinson who was written off before Spurs signed him).

Alas, football is a business now, and the same principle that enabled Spurs to sign Danny Murphy from Charlton, or Aaron Lennon from Leeds, applies here. If he wants out, and it appears he's stalled on new contract talks, then the club needs to get a good price for him so that we can reinvest in playing staff. We're higher up the food chain than we used to be, just not high enough up yet. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Personally I would have let Defoe go for that money. you could probably pick up Darren Bent or Jason Roberts for half that and still score as many goals as Defoe did last season, if not more.

If United are smart, they will threaten to let him come on a free in two years, but are they smart?

I woulda sold Defoe for that money too, he has already been replaced imo with Berbatrov, get in a big strong CF, and then you're set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

PHB wrote:
    If United are smart, they will threaten to let him come on a free in two years, but are they smart?.

Do you not think that call clubs in for a player know what the contract situation is, especially if the public knows?!! If DG went to DL and said if you dont sell we will get him for free in two years. DL would laugh his arse off. DL is the one with the decision, and is one of the smartest and shurdest (sp) men in football.

If carrick doesnt sign a new deal, he will be sold in the summer or at the very latest january. Levy is not stupid, united are desperate for a player like carrick. If carrick wants to leave, theres no point arsing about, he will be sold.

Selling carrick now doesnt show a lack of ambition, look at arse selling petit, overmars etc and their peak.

PHB wrote:
    If United are smart, they will threaten to let him come on a free in two years, but are they smart?

If all clubs were smart they'd wait until the player was out of contract.

Can Utd wait two years to but Carrick? Who fills the position in the meantime? JOS? Ferguson wouldn't be bidding for him now if he thought he could afford another two years without him.

Can Utd wait two years to but Carrick? Who fills the position in the meantime? JOS? Ferguson wouldn't be bidding for him now if he thought he could afford another two years without him.

Yeh, but United have a serious problem with inflated transfer fees. One move like this would set us up even to get 2 quality CM's this summer, because teams would know the choices they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

if the interest cools from united, carrick will sign a new deal. its now or never

• Advertisement

Met Andy Reid today in Dublin, he was a bit of an asshole!! I asked what his deal was, if he stayin or going, and his reply was an odd "eh....i think im gonna stay!"

he was an arsehole for that reply, or for some other reason.

im wondering why hed reveal any transfer plans to anyone before a deal was done tbh.

Nah, he was an arsehole for other reasons, i just put that in coz this is a transfer thread!

so, im looking through the current squad,and crikey if soccernet havent let themselves down by not removing some released players.

and then i wondered. are they still there or not.....

so, lets a have a look and see who is actually there, and who isnt, and who we should get rid of.

kets tell MJ what he should be doing on the transfer market :)

Current Squad
    G1 Paul Robinson
    G12 Radek Cerny
    G13 Marton Fulop
    G35 Robert Burch

DDorian Dervitte
    DBenoit Assou-Ekotto
    D20 Michael Dawson
    D3 Stephen Kelly
    D16 Young-Pyo Lee
    D16 Reto Ziegler
    DDorian Dervitte
    D22 Tom Huddlestone
    D26 Ledley King
    D27 Calum Davenport
    D30 Anthony Gardner

M7 Paul Stalteri
    M21 Wayne Routledge
    M8 Danny Murphy
    M5 Edgar Davids
    MHossam Ghaly
    M6 Teemu Tainio
    M23 Michael Carrick
    M25 Aaron Lennon
    M28 Jermaine Jenas
    M31 Dean Marney
    MJamie O'Hara
    M32 Johnnie Jackson

S9 Grzegorz Rasiak
    S10 Robbie Keane
    S18 Jermain Defoe
    S19 Andy Reid
    S36 Mounir El Hamdaoui
    S37 Lee Barnard

skysports reporting that stephen reid still hasnt signed a contract with blackburn, with one club (suspected to be spurs) making an official enquiry into the chaps availability.

• Advertisement
Advertisement