Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

completely OT but my season tickets came today in the west stand. happy days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

That a renewal sikes, or are you a virgin? You in London or over here?

Still waiting on my (renewed) Park Lane ticket, and I paid the feckers two months ago!

Also, some serious bother brewing because the club took applications online, giving the impression that tickets were guaranteed. Waiting list takes priority, so there's a few I know of facing an anxious wait for news of whether they got one or not (and they've already paid)

Back OT, its hard to seperate the wheat from the chaff, but the latest rumour I've heard is Reid, Chimbonda and Curtis Davis will be signed, with Carrick going to ManYoo for £14million and John O'Shea...make of that what you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Current Squad

G1 Paul Robinson - Great Keeper and still so young.

DBenoit Assou-Ekotto - Sounds good by all accts
    D20 Michael Dawson - Integral part of the team and can only improve
    D16 Young-Pyo Lee - Wasnt a bad first season and should improve with competition in his spot.
    D16 Reto Ziegler - Good Prospect (should not be sold imo, just loan him out)
    DDorian Dervitte - Good Prospect
    D22 Tom Huddlestone - Best Prospect on our books .. hope he lives up to his potential. Could be the best holding midfielder in the country if groomed right
    D26 Ledley King - Our Captain and one of the best passing Centre half's in the world imo
    D27 Calum Davenport - Another good Prospect
    D30 Anthony Gardner - Should be sold imo .. hasnt impressed me when i have seen him play

M7 Paul Stalteri - Not good enough for first team imo .. would be good cover at RB though
    M21 Wayne Routledge - Good Prospect and should not be sold imo. Great cover for Lennon
    M8 Danny Murphy - Havent been convinced by his performances. He has potential but seems to be inconsistent. He is also getting on a bit. I would sell him personally if we could make the transfer fee back.
    M5 Edgar Davids - Should be let go back to Ajax imo. Surplus to requirements
    MHossam Ghaly - Apparently Ruud Gullit said that he would be the best midfielder in europe eventually. Would like to see him play but sounds like a great prospect. He is also on FORM :p
    M6 Teemu Tainio - Good squad player imo. Can be inconsistent.
    M23 Michael Carrick - Hope he stays. Great player and could be one of the best if he can increase his tackling ability
    M25 Aaron Lennon - Going to be one of the best wingers in the world if he continues to develop like he is doing
    M28 Jermaine Jenas - Good Prospect but havent been convinced by him fully yet

S10 Robbie Keane - has developed into an exciting player
    S18 Jermain Defoe - Can only get better. I hope he stays to fight for his place.
    S19 Andy Reid - Good Squad player. Would like to see him get a lenghty run in the team to see if he can cut it. Has the hunger and desire in his performances
    S37 Lee Barnard - Great Prospect. Would beneift from some good loan spells.

Imo we need to bring in a world class left footed left winger and a world class right back. Jol has said before that he would like to play two Defensive midfielders and 2 winger and I think Zakora would be the perfect player. Loads of energy and a hard tackler. Would play him before Jenas. I also think we need another striker in the mould of Berbatov as cover. I thought Cole would have been a good choice but that deal seems to have disappeared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

Its my first one. Have been a member for a good while and been on the waiting list. didnt think i would get them but they arrived unannouced this morning!!

If we sign JOS i wil be sick. he is crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i dont see what JOS would give spurs that we dont already have tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Good cover? Left back, right back, centre back... Utd is a team too big for him, if he was at a smaller club he'd be much better imo.

Football 365 regurgitating the tabloids:
    One of those, Calum Davenport, is right in the middle of a transfer tug-of-war between Wolves (the proverbial rock) and Birmingham City (the proverbial hard place), according to The Daily Express.

Meanwhile, the Daily Star also reports that Southampton are weighing up a £400,000 bid for Spurs' Mark Yeates.

Neither will be missed TBH. I thought Davenport did well when he came in for Ledley at the end of last season, but he lacks pace and was never gonna displace King or Dawson.

Yeates was just too far down the pecking order to get his chance. Hope he does well at Soton if he goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Spurs can forget about Reid anyway. I'm delighted, the story has turned out to be just more tabloid garbage. I wouldn't mind but Reid came out as soon as the season was over and spoke of how he was looking forward to next season at Rovers.

That's why I never trust any story without a direct quote from the player.

Some of us chose not to remember him in the first place...

not too worried about stephen reid.
    im sure hes grand at a small club like blackburn, but i reckon hed be out of his depth in a bigger set up like tottenham.

• Advertisement

not too worried about stephen reid.
    im sure hes grand at a small club like blackburn, but i reckon hed be out of his depth in a bigger set up like tottenham.

Indeed he probably would which is why I'm happy he realised that and stayed at Blackburn. It's good for Ireland too that he is at a club where he'll get a game.
    Some of us chose not to remember him in the first place...

Amnesia? ;)

Lemlin wrote:

Amnesia? ;)

Nope, just didn't want to see him at my club.

Nope, just didn't want to see him at my club.

Indeed, if Jol doesn't watch out he'll be making a trip along with Mourinho to Ikea for a new subs bench. Word has it that Danny Murphy has been complaining about last season's :D

Lemlin wrote:
    Indeed, if Jol doesn't watch out he'll be making a trip along with Mourinho to Ikea for a new subs bench. Word has it that Danny Murphy has been complaining about last season's :D

Carrick out, Reid in = same number of players.

Now away back to your own thread.

Carrick out, Reid in = same number of players.

Now away back to your own thread.

Chillaxe. You really do take things too serious at times.

I didn't want Reid to leave, you didn't want him at Spurs - we're both happy campers.

sikes wrote:
    Its my first one. Have been a member for a good while and been on the waiting list. didnt think i would get them but they arrived unannouced this morning!!

Still bloody waiting...:mad:

Renewed at the end of April, quick enough taking my money. Don't think I;ll get an answer from the TO today though...
    The Club has been concerned for some time about due process relating to the ticketing operation. A routine audit recently highlighted irregularities and, as these relate to issues external to the Club, the Police are now investigating. As the case is sub judice and reporting restrictions apply, the Club is unable to make any further comment.

The ticket office will be closed until the end of office hours on Tuesday 20 June, 2006. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Rumours of dodgy dealings at the TO have done the rounds for years, blokes losing loyalty points mysteriously just weeks before the North London derby, away tickets going to non-members for high profile games, the works. Wonder how that'll play out.

Johnnie Jackson jogs on
    Following his release from the Club, Johnnie Jackson has signed for Colchester United.

The midfielder made 24 appearances for us, scoring one goal, and featured just once as a substitute last season. We wish Johnnie well and thank him for his contribution

Bye.

Update on the TO investigation:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/5100128.stm
    Four employees of football club Tottenham Hotspur have been held for allegedly passing on tickets to a tout.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said the staff and a suspected tout were detained in the early hours of Monday.

Police were alerted to alleged irregularities in the ticketing operation following an internal audit by the north London Premiership club.

The workers, three women and one man, and one male suspected tout, have been bailed until August.

The police spokesman said: "Four employees of the club and one suspected ticket tout were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud the club of ticket sales revenue and false accounting."

I'm delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

http://www.eurosport.fr/football/tp_sto911370.shtml

Basically says that Spurs have agreed a 12m fee for Zokora. Not sure how valid it is, or whether it adds fuel to the 'Carrick leaving' fire, but both Carrick and Zokora in the middle would be class.

Now get that left winger!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

SuprSi wrote:
    Now get that left winger!!!
    Sure, Nedved may be going cheap later today :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Zokora is a show boat player if you ask me. He disappears for games. Yes you will always see him in the highlights package doing something cool, but for large parts of the game, he is very disappointing.

i havent seen him play, but sure, west african signings seem to be the rage these days :)

besides, they are both defensive midfielders, so im unsure how they would play together.

i am hoping that jenas will continue to improve into the forward playing style of lampard of gerrard next season, but with tainio inthe squad, he can play pretty much anywhere in the midfield.
    i still thin khe was one of the best 3 players we had last year, although i know not many agree with me.
    we would miss him more than most other players were they to leave. we really missed him when he was out injured last season.

as for jackson leaving, to be honest, he played well for the reserves, but he never did take the step up. we appear to have a plethora of young talent waiting to break in.

i hear mark yates is being looked at by a few championship clubs as well. would love to see bernard step up. i think hed make a great strike partner for keane or the other new fella (whos name escapes me for the moment, berbatov i think)

but with tainio inthe squad, he can play pretty much anywhere in the midfield.
    i still thin khe was one of the best 3 players we had last year, although i know not many agree with me.

Most I know rate Tainio very highly, works his socks off, nice passer of the ball, looks to get into the box a bit. Spurs fan to boot!

Zokora with the Kid in the Hilton

Comolli with the Kid in the Hilton

Looks like the rumours were true. Kid pictured with Zokora and Comolli. Good news for Spurs.

Skysports.com understand Tottenham are closing in on the signature of Ivory Coast midfielder Didier Zokora.

Spurs have been chasing the St Etienne star for some time and are hoping to lure him to White Hart Lane.

St Etienne are ready to let Zokora move on for the right price and Tottenham are determined to win the race for his signature.

A number of top clubs across Europe are thought to be keeping tabs on Zokora after he impressed at the World Cup.

With Ivory Coast now out of the World Cup the path has been cleared for Tottenham to step up their pursuit of Zokora and reports suggest they have already agreed a fee with St Etienne for the player.

The player's agent Franck Belhassen admitted talks were ongoing with Spurs and that things were looking positive.

"Nothing is done yet, but the deal is in a good way," Belhassen told skysports.com.

"We are talking and it is looking good."

Spurs will be hoping that they can conclude talks soon to ward off any late moves from rival clubs.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

PHB wrote:
    Zokora is a show boat player if you ask me. He disappears for games. Yes you will always see him in the highlights package doing something cool, but for large parts of the game, he is very disappointing.

yeah agree completely! belongs in a circus more than a football pitch

Spurs confirm advanced talks with Zokora and St. Etienne

I've been impressed with what I've seen of him so far, I'd love for him AND Carrick to form a central partnership, though where that leaves Jenas I don't know (possibly play wide, or as the AMC in a midfield 3 with Lennon/Keane/Berbatov as the forward 3?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Spurs confirm advanced talks with Zokora and St. Etienne

I'd love for him AND Carrick to form a central partnership, though where that leaves Jenas I don't know

That leaves Jenas Playing for Portsmouth and Carrick will be playing in a United Jersey next season.

The Muppet wrote:
    That leaves Jenas Playing for Portsmouth and Carrick will be playing in a United Jersey next season.

Buy one, sell two?
    That does not make sense

• Advertisement

stephen kelly has agreed personal terms with rbum and is expecte to sign on thursday i think.

from skysports

(sorry, forgot to copy link :))

Zokora allegedly passed his medical @ WHL, and will be announced either today or early next week. My guess is next week.

Wayne Routledge wanted by Pompey and Everton on a permanent basis, and Charlton on a year long loan. Shame to see him move on if at all, he was very unlucky to get injured when he did, allowing Lennon to step up.

Hope he stays, we'll *hopefully* have a lot of games next year with the UEFA Cup, the domestic cups (got to make up for last year) and the PL, so could do with some pacey alternatives for the wings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Zokora allegedly passed his medical @ WHL, and will be announced either today or early next week. My guess is next week.

Cant say Im over the moon about that. Price is way to high, and artifically inflated at that due to three decent games at the wc. Hate to be pessimistic but I can see him being a mega flop. Serghi Rebrov anyone?

It's official now;

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/zokorasigns.html

I'm happy with this one, or at least I will be as long as we keep Carrick and get that left winger we so badly crave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Exactly were does that leave carrick now? If hes off to manu what have we really gained from the transfer. If he stays we have two defensive midfielders who dont belong on the bench. The team is looking good for next season though. If we get a decent left winger we could seriously challenge for champ league again or even the league.

p.s. the new sponsor on the jerseys a bit manky lookin. Like the old school crest though.

I gather Carrick leaving is only a matter of time, and how much we can get for him.

I'd rather he didn't go, but if he wants out and we extract top $ for him I'll be happy. Especially with a replacement for him already signed (how long has it been since Spurs have been able to say that?)

I agree about the new jersey. I've really liked the look of the Puma kits in the WC and if the Spurs one is like that I'll be happy, but the logo looks crap. Let's hope that they change the colour for the away kits, like Thomson did. I hear the 2nd kit is going to be baby blue, which I'm not that keen on, but the 3rd kit is going to be chocolate brown and black, which could be very cool.

And yes, it does feel strange having a ready made replacement for Carrick if he does go, which I hope he doesn't! Did I mention that I really hope Carrick stays? ;)

Tottenham have increased their bid for West Brom defender Curtis Davies to around £5.5m. (Times)

from the beeb website

A few small 'uns:

Dean Marney joins Hull City

3 year deal, believed to be worth £500k rising to £1m with conditions. Not disappointed to see him go, those two goals @ home to Everton made him appear to be more than the average player he is.

Pre season is going well so far:

Spurs 2-1 Bordeaux

Berbatov and Assou-Ekotto made their debuts, Berbatov going close on a couple of occassions. Defoe sored our first, and Andy Reid had a full 90 minutes.

Spurs 1-0 Nice

Not too many "names" in the team, but Ledley completed 70 minutes and Hossam Ghaly played the full 90. Lee Barnard scored the only goal.

In other news, Dorian Dervite (on his debut) and Terry Dixon both scored in a 7-1 win for a Spurs XI at Enfield Town.

Finally, if anyone intends to travel to WHL next season I'd advise you purchase a membership NOW! Season tickets were over-subscribed by between 12000 and 20000 (depending on who you listen to;) ) and the membership scheme was closed mid season last year due to demand. I don't see any match going on general sale this season, amazing what one good season will do...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Here wait a minute, when did Spurs sign Dervite?

• Advertisement

Rumour has it that Man Utd have made a 15 million pound bid for Jermaine Defoe to replace Ruud. Source is the Mirror. Was on SSN as well I think.

PHB wrote:
    Here wait a minute, when did Spurs sign Dervite?

About a month ago or less.

Playboy wrote:
    About a month ago or less.

About 5 pages ago...;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51511516&postcount=56

ITK rumours flying around atm that Duff has had a medical at WHL and will be unveiled tomorrow. Hope this is true. Also we have made a bid for Nedved according to his agent. Cant see both these rumours being true as they both play left midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Didnt duff sign a new contract at Stamford bridge recently?

No he didnt. The News of the World reported that he was on the verge of agreeing a new deal with Chelsea but nothing official was ever released. The Duff rumour is starting to look more and more certain now with a number of different ITK's confirming that he will be signing tomorrow. What a catch if the rumours are true.

now, i we can just offload, reid, murphy defoe and davids....

now, i we can just offload, reid, murphy defoe and davids....

Not Defoe ... he is going to be great this season I think.

Playboy wrote:
    Not Defoe ... he is going to be great this season I think.

he may be great, but if he cant get on the pitch, whats the point?

and he just doesnt contribute to the team as a whole. and if hes not scoring, then theres nothing else hes doing on the pitch.

• Advertisement

I think Defeo has great potential and will score bags of goals with service from two quality wingers like duff and Lennon. We are going to be playing 50 - 60 games next season and are going to need if anything another striker as cover for Berbatov. Jol rates Defeo and imo will only let him go if the player really wants to go. We are in a really healthy financial position and we have no need to sell players so why should we?

Advertisement