Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

personally, i just dont think defoe adds enough to the team.

i think hes marvelous when he has the ball at his feet and hes running at players, and he has a superb strike from range, but i just feel hes too light around the box.

he also drifts in and out of a game too much, and he doesnt help his team mates enough.

on the other hand, robbie keane was like that, and hes now started to passa lot, draw people and is a lot less selfish than say even 2 seasons ago, so maybe there is hope!

i just feel that if we can sell him for 15m, and get someone for right back, then that would be great.

apparently lee bernard is playing a stormer in france at the moment. although, i followed the reserves last season, and there seems to be some great young talent coming through the ranks.

at the moment, i think we have some exceptional young midfielders and strikers, and im loath to let any of them go.
    i want a squad of 50!

still, at the moment, ive decided to let MJ control the team, and i will just step in where i feel its needed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Robbie Keane made his first appearance of the pre-season this evening, playing 70 minutes of our 2-0 win over Celta Vigo at the end of our training camp in France. Jermaine Defoe continued his goalscoring with a brace in the space of two minutes early in the 2nd half. Hossam Ghaly made a rare start afer a long absence through injury since arriving @ WHL in January, and Ledley King played the 1st 45 minutes.

All in all, a good start to the pre-season, considering the English WC squad members have yet to return.

In reserve team action, Clive Allen's Spurs XI ran out 3-1 winners over Boreham Wood, with Terry Dixon scoring two in the first half (thats 3 in 2 games) before being subbed at the break. Jacques Maghoma completed the scoring for Spurs in the 2nd half.

Good news from an Irish perspective, Dixon is highly rated and he'll hopefully hit the ground running for the stiffs in the coming season. If he manages that, there's no reason to think he won't make his senior debut before too long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

That's great news. Stan calling him up to the Ireland squad can only be good too as I doubt Jol even knew him before that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

if its to be believed that carrick is indeed gonna be snapped up by utd .

1. what do you reckon would be a fair price

2. who if anyone should we get in to replace him

defo dont want some donkey we've had enough of them over the years

• Advertisement

i'd like to see us get about 17m for carrick.

we have a load of talented midfielders that can play a holding role is needs be.
    ledley king is also very talented in that department.

i think we have a strange midfield at the moment, the one thing they all have in common is they are high work rate guys, and strong tacklers.
    i think we will see jenas blossom this year, as always, i regard tainio very highly, i think he is just such an excellent box to box midfielder.

we have the new boy from zakora that can play where carrick plays as well, and has great passing ability. im not that worried if carrick leaves. id like to see him stay, but if he goes, then lets get a good price for him.

im also happy to say that i dont think he will do for utd what he has done for us either. i just dont see how he fits in with how they play. of course, could always be completely wrong and he makes the difference between utd and chelsea this year, but i just dont see it.

and no, we dont want any more donkeys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Is Carrick worth the 17m? certainly not from what i've seen. A very good bit of business if you can sell him for that.

eirebhoy wrote:
    That's great news. Stan calling him up to the Ireland squad can only be good too as I doubt Jol even knew him before that. :)

Don't be so quick to pass judgement...;)

Clive Allen and others at the club are doing great work with the kids, you can be sure that Dixon's progress was being closely monitored, if only to prevent another club snapping him up.

zabbo wrote:
    Is Carrick worth the 17m? certainly not from what i've seen.

In an ideal world, Carrick would be worth about £7/8m, but Spurs don't want/need to sell him, and ManYoo appear to want himbadly, so his price goes up accordingly.

I think £17m would be a fantastic price for us to get, sad to see him go but if it finances a move for Duff and maybe a RB it would be cracking business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

In an ideal world, Carrick would be worth about £7/8m, but Spurs don't want/need to sell him, and ManYoo appear to want himbadly, so his price goes up accordingly.

I think £17m would be a fantastic price for us to get, sad to see him go but if it finances a move for Duff and maybe a RB it would be cracking business.

Tbh I dont think we need to sell anybody to finance Duff and a RB. The Puma and mansion deals along with Levy's shrewd financial dealings means we are in a very healthy financial position.The only reason Carrick would be sold is if the player wants to go himself. Personally I dont think he is going to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I dunno if it means much but when sky came with there cameras to Chelsea's training ground Duff immediately left and walked indoors...what stage is this deal, if any, at?

its at the speculate and rumour stage for anyone who is not involved in any of these dealings :)

personally, i hope its true.

wouldnt surprise me if it aint.

and damn that defoe.
    as soon as i blacken his name on these forums, he goes and scores 3 times in 2 matches.

maybe, just maybe, every friday night im going to post up here and say that defoe shouldnt be in the squad. he will inevitably score 30 goals this season :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think the news is out that Duff is availible, and many other clubs have now become interested. If none of the big three, unless Blackburn come in for him (which I can't imagine they would because of MGP), I think Spurs will have the best chance to get him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

PHB wrote:
    unless Blackburn come in for him (which I can't imagine they would because of MGP), I think Spurs will have the best chance to get him

You think Blackburn have a better chance of signing him than spurs? Do you even have that sort of cash? I know a lot of spurs fans are getting a bit carried away with last seasons performances and the decent team we've assembled but you certainly think highly of blackburn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,438 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Blackburn are a great side and well we could attract someone of duff's calibre. He was quite happy with us before chelsea came in for him, hehe :)

Btw, dont address Blackburn with "you" when talking to PHB. Hes Manchester United through and through!

Blackburn are a great side and well we could attract someone of duff's calibre. He was quite happy with us before chelsea came in for him, hehe :)

Btw, dont address Blackburn with "you" when talking to PHB. Hes Manchester United through and through!

My apologies for the mix up. No doubt BB are a great side Ricky and are going places but I think at the moment spurs would be a much more attractive destination for a player wether justified or not. I cant even see this happening for spurs though tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Babybing wrote:
    My apologies for the mix up. No doubt BB are a great side Ricky and are going places but I think at the moment spurs would be a much more attractive destination for a player wether justified or not. I cant even see this happening for spurs though tbh.

Dont worry. He is coming, they are just tying up odds and ends. We want him and he wants to come and Chelsea are not going to let him run down his contract.

yeah, i think the new policy seems to be get a player to sign a new contract for a year or two years, and then sell them. just stops the bosman ruling coming into effect.
    hell, stephen kelly was out of contract and signed a one year deal and about 4 days later we sold him to birmingham. go figure!

football 365 claims we are going to close the deal for nedved in the next 48 hours.

we are linked with so many players at the moment, i think we may as well just sell everyone we have right now and start again!

We need to sign either nedved or duff. If we dont sign one of them Id be rightly pissed. After that if we signed curtis davies Id be a happy man and believe we could seriously challenge top four if not top three (For those who think thats unrealistic just think how many of our first team would challenge for a place or be wanted by arsenal, manu or liverpool). Still think Nedveds the more likely, and less desirable, option though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Arsenal Rule..ha ha ha.

Nah just kidding, I think spurs are on the verge of becoming Irelands collective second favourite team, if duff comes that is(or if Andy Reid gets into shape but I'll hold out for Duffer).

I think the Nedved thing has only been denounced by Del Piero. AFIAK Nedved said pre-verdict that he'd stay. Yesterday Del Piero said this to the press but I'd say Pavel would still take the chance for decent football everywhere. Usually I'd say there's no way spurs could land him but after Davids and the remarkable improvement in the last couple of years there's every chance.

Nedved, Lennon, Duff, Keane and Berbatov would be serious going forward.

• Advertisement

Playboy wrote:
    Dont worry. He is coming, they are just tying up odds and ends. We want him and he wants to come and Chelsea are not going to let him run down his contract.

Completely, resigning for Chelsea would be carreer suicide for Duff at this stage and there's no way they'd chance him go next year on a free.

Just found this

http://www.all3points.co.uk/cat/spurs/ita200706.php

I dont follow Italian football so Ive never seen either play. Anybody know what their like. They sound decent.

Oddo is good, very attacking full back but in the proper Italian fashion he can defend as well. He's in the national squad and was on the team for a while but was moved when Zambrotta switched sides and they brought in Grosso.
    Played against us in Landsdown Road last year.

Much much much MUCH better then Stalteri(but he'd have to be to make the Italian national team)

Don't know the other guy

football 365 claims we are going to close the deal for nedved in the next 48 hours.

Juve seem definate that he is going to play in Serie B next season.

As for Duff to Blackburn, it's easier for a player to return to a previous club he was at, as you can imagine.

here's an update on Duff from F365, although I can't imagine an update with less information

"Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has opened the door for Damien Duff to leave Stamford Bridge.

Duff has been linked with a move to Tottenham in order to increase his first-team opportunities with Chelsea already rejecting one £5million bid for the Republic of Ireland international.

"It is not true that Duff didn't play much last season - he played two more games than the season before and was injured," said Mourinho. "I have an open relationship with Duff and we have talked about all possibilities. He's a player I'm happy to keep, not desperate to keep."

He added: "I like Damien Duff as a player and a person.

"I've listened to him for a couple of hours and understand what is going through his mind.""

gosplan wrote:

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has opened the door for Damien Duff to leave Stamford Bridge.

Lol the article I read with the same mourinho quotes had the title "mourinho keen on keeping duff". Hope this is resolved soon. If hes not going I wish hed just come out and say it rather than let it drag on and give us false hope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Babybing wrote:
    Just found this

http://www.all3points.co.uk/cat/spurs/ita200706.php

I dont follow Italian football so Ive never seen either play. Anybody know what their like. They sound decent.

Bonera was tipped as a top defender a few years back, Milan, Juve, Roma and Inter all had bids turned down about 3 years ago, didn't tuen out to be a world beater but jesus he is solid and doesnt **** up much, IMHO he is as good, if not better than King, maybe a little slower but he is a great reader of the game.

Oddo is class, and he is going to Milan.

Judging by Mourinho's quotes it looks like Duff is off. He wants to be in a team where he doesn't have to fight off 6 or 7 world class players for a place in the team. Mourinho knows he has quality players to replace him and sounds like he'd be willing to let him go. I'd be very suprised if Duff is playing for Chelsea next season.

"He's a player I'm happy to keep, not desperate to keep. "

I think thats the clincher there. A manager doesnt say that about a player he expects to keep, does he? especially not a player of duff's calibre.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote:
    "I've listened to him for a couple of hours

read: jaysus, that boy doesnt half moan a lot :)

Actually, here are the real quotes without the media twisting them as they do:
    “What I can say about Damien is it is not true that he didn’t play a lot last season,” pointed out Mourinho. “In fact last season he played more matches than the season before and last season he had surgery and didn’t play for a month. You cannot say the reason that there is a possible desire to leave Chelsea is because he was not playing a lot.

“He is a player we love. He is a player we have an open relationship with and it is because of that relationship that we are thinking about all the possibilities. But for sure he is a player we are happy to keep.

“I can repeat more or less the words I had with him. I have always in my squad a few players I want to leave. I have always a lot of players I am desperate to keep. I have always a few I would like to keep but I have no courage to keep them when I cannot promise 75 per cent of the matches.

“The players we don’t want to keep are the players we move. The players we want very much to keep we say that. And I can give an example.

“The example is Robben, a player we keep 100 per cent for sure.

“Damien Duff is the type of player I like as a player and a person but I listened to him for a couple of hours and could understand what he has in his mind. But after that it becomes business and he is such a good player I don’t think he is easy business for another club.”

http://www.chelseafc.com/article.asp?hlid=404524&m=7&y=2006&nav=news&sub=latest+news

The bit I bolded basically says he's for sale at the right price. If Duff is not unhappy because he's not guaranteed a spot then the only thing I can think of is he's unhappy with how Mourinho has him playing.

todays rumours brought to you by the daily sport:

toon swoop in for duff at 10m. i dont think glen roeder has figured out that what he needs are some strikers, and some defenders. but he does actually need a midfield as well....

and

apparently silvestre is being offered as a sweetner to spurs ina cash plus player offer for carrick. i nearly sputtered my cornflakes all over my laptop when i read that one! silvestre! id rather john o shea, and you all know my feelings about him :)

ok ok ok, they came from football365, not the sport.

todays rumours brought to you by the daily sport:

toon swoop in for duff at 10m. i dont think glen roeder has figured out that what he needs are some strikers, and some defenders. but he does actually need a midfield as well....

Doing the rounds for the last 48 hours on Spurs messageboards, taken as gospel by most at this stage.

Reported in The Times (of London) today as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

apparently silvestre is being offered as a sweetner to spurs ina cash plus player offer for carrick. i nearly sputtered my cornflakes all over my laptop when i read that one! silvestre! id rather john o shea, and you all know my feelings about him :)

Sylvester is a quality player 90% of the time.;)

That would be a disaster if duff went to Newcastle. Do people think theres much truth in this though? I cant see duff uprooting his life to move to the north east (which doesnt seem that attractive next to london) to play for a club that largely struggled last season and has a manager with a bad reputation. I didnt even think Newcastle would have the money for the deal and surely Spurs could offer a more attractive contract. It will be a real kick in the teeth if this happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

He had lived in/near Blackburn before as well, while people always go on about how footballers like to stay in certain areas/cities, given their short career, most are prepared to go absolutely anywhere they need to to make the most of it, be that the arse end of nowhere or not.

astrofool wrote:
    He had lived in/near Blackburn before as well, while people always go on about how footballers like to stay in certain areas/cities, given their short career, most are prepared to go absolutely anywhere they need to to make the most of it, be that the arse end of nowhere or not.

Yes I understand that. My point is duff would have no problem doing that if the offer was significantly more attracive than the spurs option i.e. Manu, massive wages or something else. But I cant see why duff would do it for the current newcastle set up. Especially with such a strong irish presence, including his best mate Keane, at spurs.

The Muppet wrote:
    Sylvester is a quality player 90% of the time.;)

Can I take it that the other 10% is when the ball is actually near him??

According to sky sprts news at the moemtn Damien duffs agent is in talks with newcstle about a potential deal. That would suggest Newcastle have already had an offer accepted by chelsea.

Slyvestre was Uniteds best defender for quite some time, maybe 2 straight years, but lost his confidence.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote:
    Can I take it that the other 10% is when the ball is actually near him??
    *snigger*
    maybe MJ needs a ball boy for the training ground?

Duff to Barcodes is official now.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~870767,00.html

Doesn't he realise he'll be putting crosses into an empty box?

its official!

luque will be the fitest striker inthe premier next season with all the running hes going to have to do on his own.

i hope roeder knows how to play a 4-5-1 formation until owen comes back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

just lookin on
    http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/SeniorSquad/0,,10278,00.html

and newcastle have 2 strikers. if they get luque or ameobi injured, they're well and truly fudged. thats why im thinkin Duff might be stuck up front for a while!

EDIT: if Spurs are really short enough on the left wing that they needed Duff, then their lack of cover now can only be good for Reid. And Ireland i suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

The_B_Man wrote:
    EDIT: if Spurs are really short enough on the left wing that they needed Duff, then their lack of cover now can only be good for Reid. And Ireland i suppose.

Unfortunately the Spurs website is saying he's out for the next 3-4 weeks which means pre-season is basically over for him and might knock him back again with injuries just as he could have come back in :(

zeigler is back with us this year after a year in... erm, hamburg? somewhere or other anyway. we have reid, we have davids.
    all can play on the left.
    one fo the new boys canplay left midfield or left back.

im not too worried.

would like a better right back than staltari though. sorry paul.

zeigler is back with us this year after a year in... erm, hamburg?

Stopped off at West Brom on the way home...
    WWM wrote:
    we have reid, we have davids. all can play on the left.
    one fo the new boys canplay left midfield or left back.

Not good enough I'm afraid, we badly missed a decent option on the left last season, IMO along with Stalteri's shoite defending it cost us a number of points. Davids cuts into the centre too much, leaves Lee exposed at LB, and Reid's injuries will hamper his season. Ziegler might do it, but I doubt it.

Agree with you re. a RB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Stopped off at West Brom on the way home...

Was it not Wigan?

Andrew 83 wrote:
    Was it not Wigan?

My bad. T'was.

but of course it was. god, i forgot he came back to the premiership.

oh, and i wasnt saying that our left halves were perfect, but we do have 3 that can do a job.

just not as well as duff would have. still, at least i think we have 9 positions covered by mulitple top class players, just not at rb or lm

• Advertisement
Advertisement