Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

2-0 @ Brum with 20 mins to go, Berbatov with both goals, both assists from Ghaly.

Keane/Defoe/Berbatov started in attack in what appears to be a 3-4-3 lineup?

In other news, 21 year old Irish winger Mark Yeates signs a new 2 year contract after a successful season long loan @ Colchester. Maybe he's our solution for LW now Duff's be shown the money? ;):D;):D;):D;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

In other news, 21 year old Irish winger Mark Yeates signs a new 2 year contract after a successful season long loan @ Colchester. Maybe he's our solution for LW now Duff's be shown the money?

Maybe Im wrong but isnt he a striker? I always thought he was and it was reported years ago on here he was. Best about him last season was he scored a goal at end of season and done a Kuqi celebration and dislocated his shoulder, think he missed the play offs, or last decisive game because of it:D

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/newdealforyeates220706.html

The 21-year-old product of our Academy has featured four times in the first team on top of loan spells at Brighton, Swindon and Colchester United.

Indeed, last season's loan at Colchester proved a huge success for the Irish youth international with 52 appearances and six goals in all competitions as the U's were promoted from League One. He also played against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the FA Cup.

The only down side to that successful campaign was when Mark suffered a dislocated shoulder in the penultimate match but he recovered and is now taking part in pre-season training at Spurs Lodge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Big Nelly wrote:
    Maybe Im wrong but isnt he a striker? I always thought he was and it was reported years ago on here he was. Best about him last season was he scored a goal at end of season and done a Kuqi celebration and dislocated his shoulder, think he missed the play offs, or last decisive game because of it:D

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/newdealforyeates220706.html

The 21-year-old product of our Academy has featured four times in the first team on top of loan spells at Brighton, Swindon and Colchester United.

Indeed, last season's loan at Colchester proved a huge success for the Irish youth international with 52 appearances and six goals in all competitions as the U's were promoted from League One. He also played against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the FA Cup.

The only down side to that successful campaign was when Mark suffered a dislocated shoulder in the penultimate match but he recovered and is now taking part in pre-season training at Spurs Lodge.

i hope he isn't a striker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

i hope he isn't a striker!

Seems he is not, think easlier in his career he played up front I am sure of it, now he seems to be playing on the wing

New shirts for this year:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/therecklessone/Pics/Tottenham06071.png

Hope to get my hands on the 3rd kit, only 5000 of them apparently...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

That third kit really is very nice. Any info on when they're going on sale?

Andrew 83 wrote:
    That third kit really is very nice. Any info on when they're going on sale?

Heard they'll be available before the Inter friendly next Sunday.

Confirmed by club, new strip available on Sunday

In other news, Terry Dixon got himself another goal, this time in an U18 friendly @ Brentford in a 3-0 win on Saturday. Hope he keeps it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

He's really making a young name for himself. If he keeps that sort of form up it'll be sweet for club & country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Apparently Carrick is defo gone to United. Will be anounced tomorrow or tuesday. Fee supposed to be 14 million rising to 18 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Playboy wrote:
    Apparently Carrick is defo gone to United. Will be anounced tomorrow or tuesday. Fee supposed to be 14 million rising to 18 million.

again( i asked in Man U thread) any source for this? What do you spurs fans think of this? I tihnk its good business for Spurs if they can get 16m plus. Will nearly pay for their 2 dearest signings this summer.

Source is certain Spurs fansites. People who claim this have a track record of getting these things right as they have insider information. Same people said Duff would go to Newcastle 2 days b4 the media got the info.

Personally I think it is a good price for Carrick. I am more upset by the fact that we are strenghting Man Utd that at losing Carrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

although Zokora is a fantastic signing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

although Zokora is a fantastic signing...

They said that about Diouf though !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Trilla wrote:
    They said that about Diouf though !

Haha!

• Advertisement

EXCLUSIVE: United get Carrick
    Thursday, 27 July 19:37 BST

Manchester United have signed Michael Carrick from Tottenham Hotspur for Stg17 million. The EXCLUSIVE news was revealed on Setanta Sports programme The Hub on Thursday evening.

Carrick is set to finalise personal terms before being unveiled to the media at Old Trafford within the next 48 hours - the press conference is likely to take place before the weekend, however.

Setanta Sports understands that Carrick will move in a straight-cash deal, with no players moving in the opposite direction. The midfielder's desire to move to United is said to have forced Martin Jol into letting one of his prize assets leave North London.

Carrick is set to pen a five-year deal at Old Trafford once his medical is completed and terms are agreed, with no hitches expected at this stage.

United agreed a fee of Stg17m with Tottenham on Thursday after tracking the midfielder for the last couple of seasons. Old Trafford boss Alex Ferguson sees Carrick, who was a member of England's World cup squad, as a replacement for Roy Keane.

The news will be a major boost for United's fans with Ruud van Nistelrooy all but completing his move to Real Madrid this week.

Link - http://www.setanta.com/portal/article/foot...02571b80065e038

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Off topic here, but is the Spurs - Inter match gonna be on telly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Off topic here, but is the Spurs - Inter match gonna be on telly?

Not sure but thats not really ot Spider Baby, this is the transfer and general chat thread.

Interesting to see rudd went for 15 mil and we got 17 mil for carrick. Even taking age into account you have to say that is good business. Still Id rather have carrick than the money becuase I dont think well replace him with anyone better. What a difference a few days makes though, one minute it looks as though our midfield is complete with the signing of duff, next minute we have no decent left winger and have lost one of our best players. Still the bottom line is carrick didnt want to stay and theres nothing you can do in that situation. all in all it hasnt been a good week for us spurs fans. Its likely that Martin Jol will try and get a big name now to ease the loss of Carrick who do you think it will be or who woul you like it to be?

On another note what do people think of chimbonda? For me theres a big chance he was a one season wonder. A journalist for the french paper l'equip summed it up a couple of months ago when he said he doesnt have the quality to play in the french national team. Is this really the sot of player a club with ambition such as ours wants to be signing. Still cant think of anyone better though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

if we get 17m for carrick then i think thats great business.

yes, carrick is brilliant, and yes we will miss him, but i dont think we will miss him *that* much. we actually have 3 players that can play that role in zakora, huddlestone and king.
    i also think we have great talent in jenas and tainio, not to mention a number of younger players breaking into the squad. im not a big fan of one player being the centre of the team, and i dont think there is any single player for spurs that we can do without, through selling or injury.

i think MJ has been extremely clever in the way he has bought and built the squad. no, i think its a great bit of business, its brought an additinoal 15 million to the club over 2 years, and it will hopefully allow us to get downing and chimbola from wigan.
    i think we will have an awesome team, full of young talent. some still to reach its potential, but all team players, all with great talent (rather than great team players with no talent ala leicster of the 90's) and all still learning and growing.

Well I'm gutted by this transfer. The way it was looking, if we'd kept Carrick and signed Duff (or an equivilant left winger) I couldn't see us being that far away from Utd, who (without Carrick) haven't strengthened at all! I'm sure Zokora will be good, but I can't stop thinking that our chances of finishing in the top 4 have taken a serious dent.

I don't know if I'd like Chimbonda. Really don't like his attitude, or the way he goes about his business. He's already admitted he'd like to sign for a big club like Man U, and then mentioned that it'd be ok to sign for Spurs! And I don't know about Downing. He'd be overpriced (ironicly!) and I don't know if he's anything like what we're looking for. I haven't really seen him play though, so I can't say for sure.

Not exactly the news I wanted coming into the weekend. :mad:

• Advertisement

well, apparently wigan are getting some right back from palace, paving the way for chimbonda to be released.

news from football 365 also links reid with sunderland, and routledge with someone or other.

brain is not retaining any information at the moment. sorry :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Well I'm gutted by this transfer. The way it was looking, if we'd kept Carrick and signed Duff (or an equivilant left winger) I couldn't see us being that far away from Utd, who (without Carrick) haven't strengthened at all!

You think those signings are enough to catch up 20 points or so? Unlikely.
    Next year you will probably once again be battling with Arsenal and maybe Liverpool(imo), but I don't think Jol cares about this.

When Spurs were in 4th, I felt it was better for them to play in the UEFA cup, as it would give them european experience, but it would be easier to put it secondary and focus on the league. Spurs don't have the squad yet to compete in the CL and the PL, but if you compete in UEFA, you can say, ah well **** it, it's only UEFA, but all the time gaining European experience and fun for the fans.
    Spurs are a team that will peak in about 3 years time, at which stage they could win the league, but until then, they will just be pushing up the table, and next year, will just be trying to get into the top 4 again, and may well succedd (hopefully anyway, I like Spurs, they play good football)

PHB wrote:
    Y
    Next year you will probably once again be battling with Arsenal and maybe Liverpool(imo),

more likely to be battling with arsenal and utd i reckon, with liverpool coming 2nd.

you say that carrick and duff wouldnt get us the 20 points we need, but thats not the point, is it.

nor do i think carrick leaveing will have an overall detriment to the squad or team, and nor do i think it will be the be all and end all for utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Zakora is a show pony who looks great on the highlights reel but does little in games.
    Personally I think Jol should put his faith in Huddlestone, he's gona be a great player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

well, apparently wigan are getting some right back from palace, paving the way for chimbonda to be released.

emerson boyce for about 1.5m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Got a text off my mate saying Judas campbell is in talks with spurs. Hope he was takin the piss!

PHB wrote:
    Zakora is a show pony who looks great on the highlights reel but does little in games.
    Personally I think Jol should put his faith in Huddlestone, he's gona be a great player.

I disagree about Zokora. I think he he would have been great alongside Carrick in our cm. He puts himself about, makes tackles, got good pace and can burst forward. I agree about Huddlestone though. Similar player to Carrick in that he likes to sit deep and pick out a pass. He has got two great feet, big, strong and likes a tackle. I hope he will be able to step up to the plate when the time comes.

Carrick confirmed by Spurs:
    The Club can announce that it is has agreed a deal with Manchester United for the transfer of Michael Carrick, subject to the player agreeing personal terms and passing a medical.

Commenting on the proposed move, Martin Jol said, "This is a move that Michael wants to make. We have given him every reason to stay, but he has asked to be allowed to leave.

Great value for Spurs at a reputed £17m total, but sad to see him go.

you beat me to it.
    just saw.

hope the fee was as high as 17million.

i believe west ham will get 20% of the fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Carrick confirmed by Spurs:

Great value for Spurs at a reputed £17m total, but sad to see him go.

it is unlikely Spurs will get that straight down. £12 million up front and the rest depending on performance related clauses Is amore likely scenario . It's a lot of money for him I hope in a few years time United will be saying it was money well spent.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote:
    it is unlikely Spurs will get that straight down. £12 million up front and the rest depending on performance related clauses Is amore likely scenario . It's a lot of money for him I hope in a few years time United will be saying it was money well spent.

I got it wrong, up to £18m it seems:

14.5 PAID TO SPURS

2 MILLION IF WE MAKE EUROPE CHAMP OR UEFFA NEXT YEAR

1.5 MILLION IF HE SIGNS A NEW DEAL AT UNITED

Posted on a Spurs board by a very good source.

I got it wrong, up to £18m it seems:

14.5 PAID TO SPURS

2 MILLION IF <b>WE</b> MAKE EUROPE CHAMP OR UEFFA NEXT YEAR

1.5 MILLION IF HE SIGNS A NEW DEAL AT UNITED

Which we is that, Spurs? :confused::confused::confused:

So it's £14.5 million over the course of this contact unless spurs make europe next season,

edit:

its on the bbc now £15 million being quoted as the fee.
    Man Utd agree price for Carrick

Tottenham midfielder Michael Carrick is set to join Manchester United on Monday after the clubs agreed a fee for the 25-year-old midfielder.
    A statement read: "Manchester United and Tottenham can confirm that they have agreed terms for the transfer.

"The transfer is conditional upon the player agreeing personal terms and he will also be required to pass a medical that will take place on Monday."

The fee has not been disclosed but is believed to be close to £15m.

Carrick had two years left on his deal at White Hart Lane, but had rejected a new contract offer in the wake of United's persistent interest.

"This is a move that Michael wants to make," said Spurs boss Martin Jol.

"We have given him every reason to stay, but he has asked to be allowed to leave."

The sale of Carrick represents a massive profit for Spurs, who signed him from West Ham for £2.75m two years ago.

Carrick started for England against Ecuador at the World Cup

West Ham are reported to be in for a windfall when the transfer goes through, with a sell-on clause included as part of the deal which took him to White Hart Lane.

The midfielder has won seven England caps, making his debut when coming on as a substitute against Mexico in 2001.

He was part of England's World Cup squad but made just one appearance in Germany, in the 1-0 win over Ecuador in the first game of the knockout stages.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson stepped up his pursuit of Carrick once it became clear that the transfer of United striker Ruud van Nistelrooy to Real Madrid for a reported £10.2m would go through.

However, Ferguson denied reports that he is also keen to sign Carrick's Tottenham team-mate Jermain Defoe.

"There has not been any interest from us," said Ferguson.

"As far as the Tottenham situation is concerned, we made a move for Michael Carrick - but that is all we did.

"He is the only Tottenham player we are interested in at the moment and I think it will stay that way."

Jol's determination to hold out for a fee which closely matched their £20m valuation of the player has given them more transfer cash to spend.

Jol has already signed 22-year-old Benoit Assou-Ekotto from Lens and spent £10.9m on Bulgarian striker Dimitar Berbatov but missed out on Chelsea's left-winger Damien Duff.

The summer signing of Ivory Coast international Didier Zokora will make Carrick's departure somewhat less painful for Jol, who can now continue his search for a left-sided midfielder in earnest.

/edit

The Muppet wrote:
    Which we is that, Spurs? :confused::confused::confused:

I find that clause confusing, I would understand it if it were if Spurs don't make europe united would pay them 2 million.

Got a text off my mate saying Judas campbell is in talks with spurs. Hope he was takin the piss!

I couldnt care if he had the ability of cannavaro,(which he doesnt hes long past his overrated best) I wouldnt want him back.

The Muppet wrote:

I find that clause confusing, I would understand it if it were if Spurs don't make europe united would pay them 2 million.

Sorry, my bad, result of 2 days off in the last 16...:D

It should read "if ManYoo make Europe" next season.

Sorry, my bad, result of 2 days off in the last 16...:D

It should read "if ManYoo make Europe" next season.

That makes our 2 mil a bit safer then:D

Latest round-up from our friendlies.

Stevenage 0-3 Spurs

Defoe (2) and Berbatov with the goals in a comfortable win, with the WC players still absent Jol opted for a 4-3-3 formation with Keane joining the two goal scorers up front, though his lack of goals in pre season so far suggests he'll play a deeper role in that trio if its employed in the league. Assou-Ekotto completed the 90 minutes, as did Tom Huddlestone who put in an impressive display. Expect him to feature heavily this year. Stevenage keeper Danny Potter was kept busy throughout, making 15 saves in the 90 minutes.

Bishop's Stortford 1-8 Spurs XI

Notable mainly for the return of Jermaine Jenas and Aaron Lennon, the WC players played the 1st half, Lennon contributing with a chipped goal from 30 yards just before half time. Elsewhere, an impressive display from many of last year's successful reserve team, Andy Barcham opening the scoring with 2 before lee Barnard and Reto Ziegler concluded the 1st half scoring, with the 2nd half belonging to substitute Simon Dawkins who hit his first hat trick in Spurs colours, the only blemish an own goal from Greek trialist Giorgos Galitsios (by all accounts, he won't be staying...:D )

Didier Zokora makes his first appearance today in a Spurs XI against Cambridge along with Aaron Lennon, Barcham and Dawkins are expected to lead the attack and will look to continue their run of scoring. There's no squad news for the Inter friendly on Sunday, though with little or no injury worries we should have a string side selected.

In transfer news, rumours continue that we are interested in Bulgarian winger Martin Petrov from Athletico Madrid and Downing as a back up plan. Don't know Petrov, but have no interest in Downing, definite case of hype based on his nationality.

zakora due to start to day at cambridge.
    ko 3pm.

• Advertisement

Rumours abound that King is injured and will miss the start of season. Hope this isnt true.

Cambridge City 0-2 Spurs XI

Another win for the reserves, this time a decent run out against a well organised Cambridge defence. YP Lee made his first appearance since the WC and new signing Didier Zokora played the 1st 45 minutes in his debut, covering "every balde of grass" according to the official site. Aaron lennon played the full 90 minutes which suggests he'll miss Inter tomorrow, and was his usually busy self, involving himself in the 1st goal, curled in by YP Lee from just inside the box.

Barcham bagged the 2nd on 60 minutes after good work by Simon Dawkins who had another good game after Bishop's Strotford, thats suggests the reserves will have a great partnership up front next season.

In transfer and injury news:

Ledley King confirmed by Jol on radio as out for start of season...:mad:

Martin Petrov has been quoted in Spanish papers saying he'll be staying in Spain for the coming season, Spurs are now rumoured to be in for Chimbonda, Lucas Neill (again) and wait for it.............Mido! :rolleyes:

King confirmed absent for 6-8 weeks
    Martin Jol will be without the services of Ledley King for six to eight weeks after the captain sustained a knee injury in training.

An initial scan revealed possible cartilage damage in a big setback for the defender who missed out on the end of last season and the World Cup with a fractured metatarsal in his left foot.

Bo**ox. :mad:

jenas, king and reid out for inter game afaik.

oh, and carrick has been added to utds squad for holland next month....

Spurs 2-1 Inter

Another win!

Both managers left out their WC players, and Spurs were also missing King and Reid through injury.

4-3-3 again, with Keane pulling the strings by the sounds of things. Illuminated by two goals from Teemu Tainio, one a fortuitious deflected shot in the first half leaving Toldo stranded, the other a superb run from RB to the edge of the box before curling a left footed strike past Toldo in the 89th minute.

Line ups:

Spurs: Cerny (Fulop, 46), Routledge, Assou-Ekotto, Huddlestone (Ghaly, 62), Dawson, Davenport, Tainio, Davids, Keane (Murphy, 82), Berbatov, Defoe (Ziegler, 72). Subs: Gardner, Barnard, Ifil.

Inter Milan: Toldo, Cordoba, Maicon, Zanetti, Stankovic, Samuel, Pizarro, Cesar (Choutos, 82), Marino (Solari, 46), Dacourt, Martins. Subs: Carini, Slavkovski, Bonucci, Fautario, Belajd, Andreolli.

• Advertisement

Sounds dodgy. We've had years of promising pre-season friendlies winning left right and centre only to be bitterly dissapointed when the season started. Last year, if im not mistaken(which I could be) we were mediocre at best pre-season and look what happened.;)

Last year was good actually - good pre-season, and then winning the Peace Cup in Korea and pocketing 1 million dollars.

im not too worried about the results, what i do like is that we appear to be getting games for all of our players, letting some of the younger players in and seeing how they do at various levels.

i think overall, pre-season has been excellent so far, with some good opposition, and we appear to be getting on just fine with a whole mish-mash of players who didnt play last year or were fringe players.

adding in some of the regular players from last season like robinson, jenas and dawson who are only now due back from holiers, i think we are preparing well.

would certianly be interested to see if we are looking at gareth barry as a possible cenre back. i think hes a great player, and posisbly the only decent one villa have left. we have apparently been touted as offering murphy and reid and some cash for the lad. personally, id like to see us let a few midfielders go, and those would be the first two as far as im concerned.

still hoping we sign chimboda as well.

so what are people thinking will be a regular line up for the season to come? i know we've now played 3 games ina row with defoe and berbatov up front with keane sitting behind, which is interesting, but MJ is insisting that this is only to get match fitness for the three strikers.

personally, im looking at a first team selection like this:

Robsinon

chimboda ---- Dawson ---- King ---- Ekotto

Lennon ---- Tainio ---- Zakora ---- Downing

Keane----Berbatov

but i definately think there are lots of choice in there. huddlestone and jenas can come into midfield. ghaly has been playing very well. defoe obviously up front. stalatari and lee in defence, zieglar or Davids on the left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

personally, im looking at a first team selection like this:

Robsinon

chimboda ---- Dawson ---- King ---- Ekotto

Lennon ---- Tainio ---- Zakora ---- Downing

Keane----Berbatov

Surely this is by far the most altered team in the Premiership after summer, if it was to end up being the first team. Considering King will be injured, you could start the season with Robinson, Dawson and Keane the only players really to retain their places. I know Lennon found his way into the first team towards the end of last season, and Tainio had the odd start, but they were never really established. Even Keane struggled to hold down a place at times! The loss of Carrick is probably the only weakening, so I'd expect a good Spurs team come September.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

would certianly be interested to see if we are looking at gareth barry as a possible cenre back. i think hes a great player, and posisbly the only decent one villa have left. we have apparently been touted as offering murphy and reid and some cash for the lad. personally, id like to see us let a few midfielders go, and those would be the first two as far as im concerned.

as a villa fan ill admit it did seem our youth (Davis, Moore..etc) were our best players which did not reflect well on quality players like Bouma or Baros's performance for Villa, but Gareth Barry is not a centre back. Heis IMO ideally a LB but has been playing out of position since in the villa set-up for about two years now as a LM or a CM, simply because he has been out performing the players Villa had there like Lee Hendrie or Djemba Djemba.

He would be a good signing for spurs, a player who after such a move and after Sven leaving could find himself back with an england oppertunity.Villa would be reluctant to sell Barry in the middle of the upheaval the club is undergoing, no new chairman would want tobe seen as letting such an asset go. However as a villa fan again i think that Reid abd Murphy plus cash would be an okay deal for Barry.

it would make Villa look like this
    Sorensen, Delaney, Bouma, Laursen, Mellberg, Reid, Davis, Murphy,(new player) Baros, Moore/Abaghonlair(sp)

before any potential investment that looks like a team not to get relegated so maybe Villa would let Barry go to Spurs if he wants to and if there is an official bid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement