Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

before any potential investment that looks like a team not to get relegated so maybe Villa would let Barry go to Spurs if he wants to and if there is an official bid.

to be honest, i think youre going to struggle this year. i just cant see villa staying out of the bottom 5. of course, as long as your out of the bottom 3, that may be as much joy as you get this year.
    although, if sorrensen plays every game as he did against us at WHL, then you should have no problem :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Barry would be a good LB for Spurs and then maybe move Lee to RB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Robsinon

chimboda ---- Dawson ---- King ---- Ekotto

Lennon ---- Tainio ---- Zakora ---- Downing

Keane----Berbatov

I'd go something like this (no other signings materialising before the start of the PL)

Robbo
    Lee
    King
    Dawson----Ekotto
    Lennon----Zokora--Jenas
    Tainio
    Berbatov--Defoe

Bit harsh on Keane to be dropped, but all the accounts I've heard from fans who've been at the friendlies suggest Defoe is firing on all cylindars. Don't be surprised to see Jol use 4-3-3 with Keane withdrawn behind the two strikers.

Sounds like Ekotto's a decent LB as well, think the best thing to do would be switch Lee to RB in place of Stalteri.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

still have doubts about lee . he offers something going forward but just think he lacks the size & aggression for the premiership.

while chimbonda looked good for wigan last year i dont know if hell be a good replacement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Robinson

L. Neill/Stalteri----King/Gardner
    Dawson/Davenport
    Lee/Ekotto

Lennon
    Zokora/Huddlestone----Ghaly/Jenas
    M.Petrov/Tanio

Berbatov/Mido
    Keane/Defeo

If the latest rumours are to be believed this is how Tottenham could be lining up next season. Looks a very strong side imo. Either Lucas Neill or Chimbonda would be good at right back. Martin Petrov would be great as our left winger and Mido would be great as competition for Berbatov. I still think A. Reid has something to offer if he can stay fit. I also think D. Murphy could do a job but I cant see where he would fit in with so many quality players ahead of him in the pecking order.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

looking at that team i believe spurs will consilidate their position from last year this year as the challengers for the fourth champions league spot while being distracted by the uefa cup which they could go far in. Games for the top teams in the capital will be tight this year.

Playboy wrote:

Robinson

L. Neill/Stalteri----King/Gardner
    Dawson/Davenport
    Lee/Ekotto

Lennon
    Zokora/Huddlestone----Ghaly/Jenas
    M.Petrov/Tanio

Berbatov/Mido
    Keane/Defeo

If the latest rumours are to be believed this is how Tottenham could be lining up next season. Looks a very strong side imo. Either Lucas Neill or Chimbonda would be good at right back. Martin Petrov would be great as our left winger and Mido would be great as competition for Berbatov. I still think A. Reid has something to offer if he can stay fit. I also think D. Murphy could do a job but I cant see where he would fit in with so many quality players ahead of him in the pecking order.

mido has left the club gone back to roma reports suggest he might make a move to blackburn as for the option of neill or stalteri both are as bad as oneanother

latest news is that talks with blackburn have broken down and that spurs may be back in for him.

who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

latest news is that talks with blackburn have broken down and that spurs may be back in for him.

who knows?

Talks with Blackburn broke down weeks ago. Rovers have signed Benni McCarthy now so I think Hughes has the strikers he wanted.

interesting piece i read from http://www.squarefootball.net/article/article.asp?aid=3461 this morning. thought it might be of interest. i have always rated levy as both a chairman and a businessman, and on hindsight, my estimation of him has gone up even further taking into account all the events of the last couple of years.
    see what you think

Tottenham: The Redemption of Daniel Levy

"For too long Tottenham managers had paid over the odds for mediocrity, lost their jobs because of the underachievers they had bought, while a new man came in and shipped out the donkeys at a fraction of the cost price."

Losing your manager, sporting director and arguably your best player in less than two years would usually indicate a club in disarray.

It is to the eternal credit of Daniel Levy that the last couple of years have seen arguably the biggest turnover in playing and coaching staff of recent times at White Hart Lane, yet the club is more stable and progressive now than at any stage in the last two decades.

When David Pleat steered Spurs to within a couple of games of relegation following the ill-fated Glenn Hoddle reign in 2004, Levy’s credibility had hit to rock bottom.

That Pleat was given nine months in the caretaker role was particularly irksome to most fans and pundits who accused Levy being an indecisive and dithering buffoon.

His subsequent recruitment of Frank Arnesen, in the summer of 2004, and a change in the entire structure of the football club to a Continental model was met with much scepticism in a country where the "there can only be one boss" attitude was not so much prevalent as omnipresent. Alan Hanson and Rodney Marsh were most vocal in their derision of the new setup in N17.

Levy's thinking was simple. For too long Tottenham managers had paid over the odds for mediocrity, lost their jobs because of the underachievers they had bought, while a new man came in and shipped out the donkeys at a fraction of the cost price. Furthermore he was exempted of responsibility for the loss made on the players, because a previous regime had outlaid the inflated transfer fee.

It was a vicious circle that started, on a large scale, with Ossie Ardiles and encompassed the reigns of Gerry Francis, Christian Gross, George Graham and Glenn Hoddle. Continuity and success make for comfortable bed-fellows and therein lies the reason for Tottenham never finishing above seventh place in the Premiership and only winning a solitary league cup in that period.

Arnesen was appointed to recruit young talent that could either be nurtured and sold on for a healthy profit or that would form the nucleus of a side that could challenge for European football and eventually a Champions League place.

The footballing tactician in the equation was French coach Jacques Santini and both he and Arnesen were heralded as the men to return the North Londoners to the top-end of the English game, with then-unknown Martin Jol filling a supporting role.

It is well documented how, after a promising start that descended into an ultra defensive losing streak, Jacques Santini departed White Hart Lane citing irreconcilable differences with Arnesen and the lack of ocean front property as the reason for his mutiny.

Unlike previous years, the loss of the coach didn't hinder Tottenham. Martin Jol stepped into the breach while Arnesen ensured that there was no seismic shift in transfer policy or in the overall running of the club.

In the face of supporter unrest and media damnation for a beleaguered Levy, the change was implemented seamlessly and the team only narrowly missed out on European football in 2005. The system, against the odds and popular opinion, had stood up to its first test.

While changes to the playing staff continued apace, there were some crucial differences to past splurges. Where previously dross was replaced with dross, at a heavy loss and with an already bloated wage bill becoming even more so, now the squad was being visibly improved by young hungry players.

Where once Thatcher, Leonhardsen, Rebrov, Armstrong and Fox arrived for large six figure sums, now Dawson, Tainio, Huddlestone and Routledge were joining a club already brimming with quality players and putting less of a weekly fiscal strain on the club.

Just over a year ago, Arnesen moved from North London to Stamford Bridge on the back of an alleged illegal approach from Chelsea.

While the deployment of a "Sporting Director/Director of Football" was supposed to ensure that coaching change no longer spawned the pandemonium it once did, the ramifications of the loss of “the head of the snake” were never considered.

The former PSV man’s eventual departure appeared to be a hammer blow to Levy's much talked about structure.

Again, the chairman came through with flying colours. He refused to panic and appoint a replacement immediately and also refused the temptation to buckle to public pressure and give Martin Jol the traditional manager’s role (one the Dutchman denied he wanted anyway).

While some of the more utopian-minded individuals thought Levy should forfeit Tottenham's right to compensation and report Chelsea for the approach for Arnesen, the Spurs chairman instead played hardball with Roman Abramovich and walked away with a settlement believed to be in the region of eight million. In retrospect, it has proved to be a vastly inflated price for the Dane.

Within months Damien Comolli took over Arnesen's portfolio at White Hart Lane, and Tottenham have continued to progress. The team and the club are in a better place now than at the time of Arnesen's departure.

The transfer policy has also changed slightly.

Where Arnesen laid the foundations for the future with cheap, young and profitable talent, Comolli and Levy have signed a smattering of more established (and expensive) players, most of whom are still in the throes of youth, to compliment the more inexperienced youngsters.
    It is noticeable that from Santini's first game in charge, against Liverpool in August 2004, only three of the starting eleven remain in Tottenham's first team squad, while ten of the fourteen used that day have moved on, none at a massive loss and most at a profit. Furthermore, it is hard to imagine any of the departed getting into the present Tottenham team.

In fact, if Spurs sign a right-back as expected, only one or possibly two of Arnesen’s signings (Dawson and Tainio) will expect to start for Spurs in the season opener at Bolton.

Despite the setbacks, and there have been plenty from the top level down, the last two years have seen Tottenham improve incrementally.

Michael Carrick's loss to Manchester United may be another blow to the club, but it is testament to the board, and Levy in particular, that they could receive twice what the Red Devils originally offered for a player that, although supremely talented, isn’t a regular international and didn’t want to stay at the club.

Tottenham fans needn't worry. The latest setback will not halt or derail their recovery. The road was never going to be smooth, but in Levy, Tottenham have a chairman who, after the rockiest of starts to his tenure, is fast proving himself to be one of the best and shrewdest in the business.

• Advertisement

Only proves what I continue to say. We've replaced high-earning underachievers with modestly paid players with a point to prove, the finances have never looked healthier and we have the strongest squad we've had since the days of General Burkinshaw.

Its no guarantee of trophies, but its a damned sight better than the crap we've had to put up with in the last 15 years.

Well done Daniel levy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Agreed. I can't remember ever being so positive before the start of a season. Last season I was really looking forward to things, and thanks to Levy and co that optimism has continued into the start of this season.

COYS! :cool:

i agree.
    i think i would actually be disappointed if we finished lower than 5th, and im aiming higher than last year.

i honestly think we are in the position that newcastle have found themselved a couple of years ago, but instead of letting it slip, i think we are in a position to consolidate and push forward.

i honestly dont rank us up there in the top 4 teams, but i think we could break into them. what we need to do is become as consistant as those teams.

im looking forward to finishing off teams in the way we didnt last year.

there will be no 1-1 draws with west ham or sunderland this year. please! :)

kinda off topic but does anyone know if there is a spurs supporters club in dublin.

anyone got any info on them

cheers

Eoin

We should start a boards.ie spurs supporters club and arrange to go to a few games this season maybe. Could be fun!

Also Mido is supposedly having his medical atm. I would love him to sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Playboy wrote:
    Didn't he go back to Roma? :confused: Surely he'd be surplus to requirements now that you guys have Berbatov.

no way!

really?

why would we sign mido?
    unless we are looking at selling a striker, like defoe?

no way!

really?

why would we sign mido?
    unless we are looking at selling a striker, like defoe?

Jol wants two quality players in every position to provide competition and cover for injuries. So berbatov and Mido as target men and defeo and keane for the other striker position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

from spurs community
    Danny32 on COYS wrote:
    From a source inside Spurs also heard that Wiltord was a contingency, regarding Petrov, he is aware of our interest and we are waiting for him to ask for a transfer to help it along.
    Still hopeful on a compromise for Chimbonda and a deal for Mido will be done as long as medical ok.
    Blackburn have slapped a £3mio Fee on Lucas Neil and are prepared to see thru the last year of his contract if this is not met, however this could be their opening gambit.

alex on FTL says that BEN wrote:
    that Mido having his medical as we speak.

ben is well regarded not sure about danny32.

anyway as for the idea of setting up a boards.ie spurs fan club type thing, i thinks its a great idea. i am not sure if one exists in dublin, but one should be started. spurs are very well supported in ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Playboy wrote:

any source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

alex on FTL wrote:
    reid to charlton 2.2m. plus 500k-800k based on apps

Trilla wrote:
    any source?

None other than InTheKnows on Spurs message boards, sikes mentioned one called BEN who IMO is one of the best sources of info around. Had Duff to Newcastle two days before it broke in the media.

If BEN says he's having a medical then its about 95% certain he's having a medical.

As for a Dublin supporters club, AFAIK there is one that meets in the city centre, I've run into a few members on the trip over to WHL but I never bothered getting any details. I reckon a boards Spurs supporters club is a great idea, maybe even get ourselves a Private Forum?

New shirts for this year:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y174/therecklessone/Pics/Tottenham06071.png

Hope to get my hands on the 3rd kit, only 5000 of them apparently...

Some confusion caused by the club in relation to the 3rd kit. Only 5000 were ordered to be sold exclusively through the club shop, however they are NOT a limited edition as has been suggested. The club are considering ordering another batch, usually they are left with unsold 3rd kit so are wary of producing more.

Of course, releasing the 3rd kit first would tend to increase demand, especially when its the only one that looks half decent...:rolleyes:

So anyone tempted to pick one up on Ebay for an inflated proce, beware.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

according to BBC's rumour pageon teletext which usually lifts its stories straight from the newspaper Spurs are the frontrunnr ATM to sign ayala from Valencia. I have not heard much about this but Ayala, Dawson and King would give Tottenham an extremely strong central defense and everone knows Spurs have money at this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I was just wondering, i've heard about Tom Huddlestone at spurs and they have high hopes. I was just wondering if many spurs fans think he will be in the starting 11 come the 19 August as he has started a few preson games??

From the little I've seen of him I reckon he is, or is very close to being, a class act. Goof feet, a great awareness of the game, tackles hard but fair and can score goals. reminds me of a young Glenn Hoddle tbh.

For all that, barring injuries he won't start the season in the first XI. In the absence of any further signings (LW please!) we'll start like this I believe:

Robbo
    Lee
    King
    Dawson
    Ekotto

Lennon----Jenas
    Zokora
    Davids

Defoe
    Berbatov

King is our for the start of the season, so Gardner or Davenport will deputise, and Keane is also injured, so the front pairing is automatic.

Huddlestone got a lot of games in pre-season because our WC players were allowed back later than the rest of the squad. I think a lot depends on how Jenas and Zokora click in the centre, and also whether we get a LW in before the end of the window.

Big round up today...

First up, transfer news. Mark Yeates is off to Hull on a year long loan deal. He'd a great season last year at Colchester, here's hoping the year at Hull will help improve him as a player. He wasn't going to get a look in at Spurs this season. Story

The Independent says we're willing to part with Andy Reid for £3m, with Man City believed to be interested source. Funnily enough, we turned down Sunderland's bid for him last week.

On the inbound front the name Martin Petrov continues to pop up, reports suggest he could move from Athletico Madrid before the window shuts. Don't know much about him, one Madrid-based Yid on FTL says he had a poor season last year, but he's supposed to have had a good game last night for the Bulgarians against Wales. Also, The Times reports Lucas Neill had turned down a move to North London...lucky escape

On the friendlies front...

Fisher Athletic 1-3 Spurs XI

Two goals from Andy Barcham (this season's Lee Bernard without a doubt) and a 30 curler from promising midfielder Jamie O'Hara (has been picked out by Edgar Davids as one to watch, Davids has been staying back after training to work 1 on 1 with him). Jermaine Jenas completed 60 minutes to ease him back into pre-season and Snoop Gardner continued his comeback from injury.

Borussia Dortmund 1-1 Spus

Close enough to a full strength 11, with Davenport in for the injured King, Murphy on the left of midfield and Keane up front with Berbatov, it was the Bulgarian who scored to cancel out Frei's 36th minute free kick. 50,000 in attendance (those German's know how to support a team), Spurs took 1000 or so travelling support. Supposed to have been a great weekend, slightly marred by an attack on an Irish pub the Spurs fans were drinking in by (depending on your source) 40-50 Essen/Schalke/skinhead Germans. they made the mistake of taking on the pub that the top boy from Spurs' firm happened to be drinking in...big mistake :D. Nice to hear the Dortmund fans in the bar sticking up for the Spurs when the police arrived, so despite the Red Tops hysterical "Spurs fans in bar brawl" the arrest record read: 8 Germans, 1 Dutch, 1 English. Know a fella who got caught in the melee as he headed back from the ATM, can handle himself but was shook up after a few thumps and an attenpted kick in the head while on the ground.

Dover 2-0 Spurs XI

Big names departed either at half time or early in the 2nd half, Spurs were undone by two late goals from Dover. Of note for Spurs (and Ireland) was the 6th minute substitution of Terry Dixon, whocomplained of a sore knee. get well soon lad.

Canvey Island 0-11 Spurs XI

Normal service resumed! Full reserve team, showing real promise for the coming season. Hat trickes fromCharlie Daniels, Lee Barnard and two each from Jamie O'Hara (another 25 yard curler) and Andy Barcham, with Stuart Lewis completing the haul.

Spurs 2-1 Real Sociedad

Full strength 11 (possibly the starting 11 at Bolton, maybe Gardner in for Davenport) given a decent run out. By all accounts the 1st half was a drab affair, both sides happy to sit back (maybe a bit toclose to the season?), illuminated by Defoe's goal from 20yds. the 2nd half saw our two new signings link up, Zokora's corner nodded on by Berbatov and finished by Dawson for the win. Keane missed the game through injury and look set tomiss the start of the season.

• Advertisement

nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

is this O Hara guy irish?

If reid is gone then we must be very close to signing a new left winger. Fingers crossed that its martin petrov

is this O Hara guy irish?

No unfortunately, has played for the English underage teams. Stolen from the Gooners as well...

SuprSi wrote:

Delighted.

Never getting back into the first XI tbh, he needs to be playing and the club make a few quid out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

I'm a little sorry to see Andy go. He always gave his all and I thought always played well for us. He was just very unlucky with injuries at the wrong times. His goal against Everton was a classic. I think fans are too harsh about his weight, while he is clearly not in the shape he could be if they gave the exact same performances he does but had a different build Idon't think people would complain nearly as much.

At least it should help him play every week being at Charlton which should be a positive for Ireland, and again he's never let us down in the national team. His performance against France was class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

don't think he was ever going to do it at Spurs, whether it was a problem with the weight or whether Jol never really fancied him as the answer to our left sided problem... but best of luck to him at Charlton, he does need to play games and that will inevitably help the Ireland team in the future aswell ...god knows we need it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭irish life

hopefully he gets played in his proper position of central midfield. the only reason he was played on the wing is because his crossing is excellent. hes much better in the centre and has all the attributes to play there.

• Advertisement

I'd love to be able to comment on Saturday's roll over at Bolton, but unfortunately my recollection of the day is hazy...too much drink on an empty stomach is bad, mmkay? *May* have been escorted from the Reebok because of intoxication, was definitely asked to leave my hotel because of same...ended up three hours on the train to Blackpool via Manchester and Preston...bad bad day all told...:(

I'm not proud.

p.s. pity the team didn't follow my lead, at least they'd have had an excuse...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They tried the whole 'feeling sick' excuse last season :p

Well went to the game last night, and i thought that on the whole it was a good performance..

A few players stood out for me
    Davids, was tigerish in midfield, made some very good tackles and pushed forward with the ball quite a few times.
    Keane ...Had a great first half and had Sheff Utd running in circles half the time..unlucky not to pick up a goal for himself.
    Tainio... Good to see him fit again (how long for..who knows) but never lets the side down and does a good job wherever he's asked to play

Sheff Utd did not offer much up front ..and i think they will find it very tough this season

Role on Everton and another 3 points :)

See, thats why we need a private forum...should have been our first SC meet-up...:D

Where you sitting mate? I was in my usual Park Lane upper, block 41. Had a cracking day, pre-match in the Gilpin and Brikies, post-match in the Coach and Horses then late tube back to Covent Garden.

Thought Berbatov and Ekotto were the berries last night, really impressed with the two. Hard for us to get out of first gear in the 2nd half against a poor Utd side, they'll struggle big time on that performance. Liked Zokora when he came on, and Deofe's cameo was positive.

Can't say anyone had a bad game.

See, thats why we need a private forum...should have been our first SC meet-up...:D

Where you sitting mate? I was in my usual Park Lane upper, block 41. Had a cracking day, pre-match in the Gilpin and Brikies, post-match in the Coach and Horses then late tube back to Covent Garden.

Thought Berbatov and Ekotto were the berries last night, really impressed with the two. Hard for us to get out of first gear in the 2nd half against a poor Utd side, they'll struggle big time on that performance. Liked Zokora when he came on, and Deofe's cameo was positive.

Can't say anyone had a bad game.

I was sitting in the East Stand Lower block 29, agree with you regarding the team it was hard to pick out individuals cos they all played well ...

I didn't get a chance to join in any of the pre-post match festivities, got to the ground and had to buy the new home top for my son, queued for ages, then had to go and queue up for ages again to have a name/number put on the back... finally got into the ground with about 5 minutes to spare ..and afterwards i had to go and do some work overnight for a company in Hammersmith ...before catching the flight home ...:) I'll have to plan things better next time :)

Spurs UEFA Cup games to feature on ITV this season

All depending on who we get in the 1st round and whether we advance beyond...;)

Well with the way the games in the UEFA went tonight ..we won't be one of the seeded teams ..so we could potentially meet Sevilla, Ajax etc in the first round ... either way bring them on as we will have to beat them all anyway to get to the Final :)

Looks probable that Lyon player Hatem Ben Arfa is on his way to WHL.

Don't watch enough Euro football, any opinions?

never heard of him, so hes probably top drawer quality.

position?

• Advertisement

Tottenham are in negotiations with Real Madrid for former Arsenal target Julio Baptista. The asking price is £12m and Spurs are willing to go to £10m. (Various)

Spurs are also considering Parma's Australian midfielder Vince Grella. (The Times)

And Tottenham have gone back to Middlesbrough with a new £9m offer for Stewart Downing. (Daily Mirror)

from the beeb website.

Advertisement