Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spurs Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Spurs seal deal for Lens starlet Adel Taarabt

Anyone know anything about this kid? All I know is he's a central playmaker.

Adel move confirmed today by Spurs.

Also, Sunderland bad-boy Ben Alnwick moves to Spurs with Hungarian Marton Fulop's loan move in the other direction being made pemanent.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/keepercapture.html

Lifted from elsewhere...
    ROCHA CLOSER TO TOTTENHAM
    Benfica and Tottenham yesterday continued the negotiations for the transfer of Ricardo Rocha with the agreement closer to being reached.

José Veiga in representation of the eagles, was congregated with Damien Comolli, sporting director of "spurs" and with the entrepreneur (agent) Ronnie Rosenthal.

Tottenham presented, initially, a proposal of four million, but yesterday already it came close itself more to the value intended for the eagles.

Comolli and Rosenthal have already returned to London, having themselves congregated with Daniel Levy, president of Tottenham, to give the authorization to pay the value desired for the Benfica defender.

It is certain that "spurs" is very interested in Ricardo Rock - they had been made an impression with the exhibitions of Rocha in the game in Manchester and, more recently, the games with Sporting and Académica - and intends to contract the Portuguese International soon, because they had even made space, yesterday, with the sale of the Davenport to West Ham.

I was at the ManYoo Benfica game, but paid little attention to names...I'm looking in the general direction of eirebhoy for an opinion on this chap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

EXCLUSIVE: SPURS HOLD TALKS WITH £10M BALE

TOTTENHAM boss Martin Jol was last night locked in negotiations with Southampton whizzkid Gareth Bale after having a £10million bid accepted.

Bale, 17, went to White Hart Lane for talks yesterday as Spurs tried to steal a march on Manchester United for the Wales international left-back.

But Dutchman Jol still has a huge task in trying to persuade Bale his future lies in north London - and faces strong competition from United boss Sir Alex Ferguson

Saints boss George Burley said: "At some point Gareth will go, but he will be here until the end of the season."

Fergie saw his £8m bid rejected last week and went back with an offer to sign Bale this month - then loan him back to Southampton until the end of the season. It is believed that Bale fancies a move to United, who are ready to let Argentinian defender Gabriel Heinze go in the summer.

That will clear the way for Bale, who has 18 months on his current deal left at Southampton after turning down a new £4,000-a-week contract at St Mary's. But there is still major unrest at the Championship club where Burley has made it clear his future will be in doubt if they decide to sell Bale.

And the board decision to accept Tottenham's £10m bid is a major blow to Burley, who is desperate to keep his star.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=exclusive%2D-spurs-hold-talks-with-%2D10m-bale%26method=full%26objectid=18516502%26siteid=94762-name_page.html
    Seems a bit much but should be a good move for everyone if it goes through.

Paper talk, based on message board rumours. Heard the "Bale at Spurs Lodge" rumour before this made the papers, but also heard we were getting Ashley Young before Villa signed him.

I'll believe it when I see him wearing a shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Some live pre-season friendlies coming up in the next few weeks:

21 July Kaizer Chiefs vs Tottenham 2pm Setanta Sports 1
    24 July Orlando Pirates vs Tottenham 7:30pm Setanta Sports 1
    28 July TBC vs Tottenham 14:15 Setanta Sports 1

Final game opponents will be one of the other two teams in the 3 team mini-tournament. Not 100% certain that game will be on Setanta Sports 1, might be channel 2 instead.

Anyone remember Stuart Nethercott?

I'll quote the good bit before its edited out...
    Stuart Nethercott is perhaps best remembered for the disproportionate amount of times he featured in the Merlin F.A. Premier League Sticker Book collection for the 1994-95 season. Much to the chagrin of collectors, it was not unknown for a six sticker packet to contain six copies of Nethercott, then in the Tottenham ranks. Nethercott's sticker became ubiquitous to the point that, in an attempt to rid themselves of a rapidly thickening deck of Nethercotts, school children of the period were known to cover their friends' lockers as well as their school corridor walls with numerous copies of the Nethercott sticker, earning Stuart Nethercott a degree of fame and notoriety he was unable to attain in his footballing career.

:D:D:D

Line up for Kaizer Chiefs friendly:

Robbo
    Ifil
    Rocha
    Kaboul
    Dawson
    Routledge
    Zokora
    Jenas
    Malbranque
    Berbatov
    Keane

Subs: Cerny, Daniels, Gardner, Maghoma, O'Hara, Bent

Should be handy, there's only five in the Kaizer Chiefs and the singer's a bit of a blose...:D

• Advertisement

FFS, Batlett kicks Kaboul in face, Kaboul subbed off after 3 minutes.

FFS, Batlett kicks Kaboul in face, Kaboul subbed off after 3 minutes.

thats wot u get when u call the singer a blouse....

any score?

1-0 Spurs, Lineo finally left his flag down for Robbie to score. Officials been poor, Keane flagged off a couple of times when on.

Zokora kicked Bartlett back for Kaboul, he's more of a Franz Ferdinand fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

That's it. Robbie Keane is going in my Fantasy football team. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I really want to put him in, but he isn't that good value :/

Just kicked off between Orlando Pirates and Spurs in SA.

Bent and Defoe up front, Keane and Berbatov on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

bent got a goal its 1-0 both teams have been poor but spurs dont look like they are pushing themselves at all so it's to be expected,
    still coasting all the same.

Game finished 2-1 to Spurs, a fine counter-attacking move right from the heart of defence culminating with Malbranque playing a ball across the edge of the box for Routledge to control and rifle home giving Spurs a 2-0 lead just before Pirates went up the other end and won a peno for a foul by Chimbonda.

Referee ordered the peno retaken twice for Cerny being off his line (saved both efforts) with the third effort being converted (Cerny again off his line slightly, and got a hand to the ball)

Cerny, Jenas, Bent, Taarabt all had good games.

Athletico Madrid winger Martin Petrov rumoured to be in London yesterday for a medical at Spurs, though I've heard in the last few hours that Man City have signed him so will have to wait and see.

Leeds youngster Danny Rose joins us as of yesterday.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/rosejoinsspurs250707.html

Supposed to be like Lennon only better.

Still interest shown in SWP and Kevin Prince Boateng from Hertha Berlin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Spurs really need a good left winger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Disappointing to lose out on Petrov but it would have been wrong to break the wage structure for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Andrew 83 wrote:
    Disappointing to lose out on Petrov but it would have been wrong to break the wage structure for him.

Smashing player, wtf has happened to Atletico they dont get into Europe and lose all their best players :(

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

They replaced Torres and Petrov with Simao and Forlan, so they should be ok!

They replaced Torres and Petrov with Simao and Forlan, so they should be ok!

imo atletico will do better with simao/forlan than torres/petrov

Darren Bent scores a peach of a volley from a half-clearance by Orlando Pirates to give Spurs an early lead in the final of the Vodacom Challenge.

Great technique.

Spurs running amock, 3-0 after 21 minutes.

Bent is on fire, he's scored two, and made one for Berbatov. Also hit the post with a great shot.

Keano could be picking up splinters this season...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 fsol

...anyone know if the Leyton Orient game is beong shown on TV. Just checked Setanta - they're showing Galway v Sunderland at that time.

cheers!

Don't think its on anywhere, sorry!

Kevin-Prince Boateng signed today. He got 14 assists last year for Hertha so it seems central midfield has been strengthened.

line up for orient game:
    Robinson,
    Ifil,
    Stalteri,
    Dawson,
    Kaboul,
    Huddlestone,
    Jenas,
    Malbranque,
    Keane,
    Berbatov,
    Bent.
    1 all at half time

• Advertisement

Can be listened to at http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Keane played behind Berbatov and Bent tonight. What an attacking trio that is.

Think Spurs may well line up with 3 across the middle this year (Jenas, Zokora and Boateng) with one in behind a front two. Keane, lennon, and Taarabt the most likely to play in the hole.

Game finished 4-2, turning on a dodgy penalty decision early in the 2nd half with the scores at 1-1.

Keane scored from the spot, his 2nd of the game. Bent and a Defoe screamer completed the scoring for Spurs.

didnt take the prince long to give berlin a dig

Tottenham Hotspur new boy Kevin-Prince Boateng admits he is hurt by Hertha Berlin's reaction to his move.

The midfielder completed his switch to White Hart Lane earlier in the week and is excited by the prospect of playing for Spurs.

But the Germany Under 21 international concedes he is disappointed that Hertha have not acknowledged the impact his exit will have on the Bundesliga club.

"Spurs have a different attitude," Boateng told the Berliner Morgenpost newspaper. "They deal with young players differently and give me the feeling of being wanted. I did not have that in Berlin.

"I think that Hertha know my departure is a loss for them. They just don't want to admit it.

"That is what hurts me the most, that they can just let me leave like this."

Boateng retains an affection for Hertha, but he concedes he fears for the club's future due to the figures currently in charge.

He added: "It (the club) is still close to my heart, but I do not have a good feeling about them.

"The ones who created an atmosphere have gone and soon there will only be soldiers at Hertha who stand up straight and nod their heads.

"I hope the people responsible can find a few more players after people were only leaving recently.

"They have enough money through all the players they have sold."

Resurrected to see if anyone other than Spurs fans have any interest in discussing events at WHL...

Transfer targets for next season appear to be mainly based in Spain, which suggests that Ramos will have either a role to play in attracting signatures himself, or he will exert more influence over transfers than his predecessor.

Espanyol's Cameroonian keeper Carlos Kameni is believed to be on the radar (as is Schalke 04's Manuel Neuer) to replace Paul Robinson.

Getafe's Daniel "Cata" Diaz and Santander's Garay are believed to be earmarked as potential partners for Woodgate at the heart of defence.

There are a few mutterings of Capel and Kanoute from Sevilla.

Best of all is the far-fetched notion that Samuel Eto'o might consider N17, though some are suggesting that's a smoke screen to cover a move for David Villa!

If (when) Berbatov moves on, there will definitely be some movement on the striker front.

I'm intrigued certainly, the right signings could propel Spurs into a CL challenge. If they can get ahead early they might hold on

Spurs have announced the transfer package for Modric.

€21m paid over four years.

Up to 6 year contract (I'd imagine 4 years with an option for 2 more)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Spurs always were interesting to me,paying huge money for young players,not looking for stars,it looks always weird to me but i think its smart,if they sign 3-4 great players like therecklessone wroted i think next season they will be pretty good candidate to get in top4 in championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

Spurs would be better suited to setting up a youth academy of their own and stop nicking everyone elses kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Modric is a great signing. The creativity we have being yearning for all season. It looks like Berbs will be on his way, but rumours are that we are after David Villa to replace him.

Looks like Kaboul just put himself on the transfer list...

Younes Kaboul has hit out at Juande Ramos’ management style at Tottenham and has admitted he is pining for the French league.

The promising France Under-21 international was signed by Martin Jol in the summer 2007 and enjoyed a steady baptism under the Dutchman, but has struggled since Ramos was ushered in at White Hart Lane.

The centre back feels he has improved at Spurs, but admits he was sad to see Jol replaced by Ramos.

The Frenchman has outlined the differences between the two managers and claims Spurs would have won the Carling Cup under Jol.

“Martin Jol was a person,” Kaboul told So Foot. “For us he was a father whereas Ramos is about tactics, final point, there is nothing.

“At training we do a lot of XI against zero and blackboard work to work on the ball.

“Ramos brought that to us, but nothing else.

“The Carling Cup win saved our season. They say we won it because Ramos arrived at the club, but it is nothing to do with him. We would have won it with Martin Jol.

“I played all the first part of the championship and since the manager changed I do not play anymore.

“I have not been told why. He does not speak. With anybody.

“Communication does not exist with him.

“It is his choice why he does not play me. I respect it, I am a professional.

“I am young, it is the first time it has happened to me in my career but I am not surprised because when you are a footballer, you have to be prepared for that, for good and bad moments.

“Ramos did not really give me my chance.

“When the player does not feel his coach’s confidence, he cannot do many things on the pitch.

“Tactically it changed a little, maybe.

“Regarding the personality, there is no comparison.

“We have had a difficult season. We score many goals but for sure we concede too much.

“More than half of the goals were from free kicks.

“So the spectators are entertained but for us it is a pain because those mistakes cost us many points.

“I learnt a lot this season. All that has happened has helped me strengthen my game but most of all my personality.

“When I arrived I proved to the coach and the club I was capable of reaching the next level.

“Then with the change of coach, I was there and ready when needed. I was defensively okay and scored goals.

“Finally I never gave up so I do not regret anything.”

Kaboul arrived at the Spurs from Auxerre and he has admitted he misses life in France.

He said: “I watch all the French games from the Saturday 5pm (4pm UK time) to the Sunday night game at 8.55pm (7.55pm UK time).

“I confess I am missing the French league a bit.

“When you watch it like that, you want to come back.

“But then you enter a stadium here (in England) and do not want to leave.

“For the future, we will see next summer.”

:D

I'll repeat one quote:
    The Carling Cup win saved our season. They say we won it because Ramos arrived at the club, but it is nothing to do with him. We would have won it with Martin Jol

Which elicits a :eek: from me.

Kaboul isn't good enough anyway. Ramos dropped him cause he's just not at the required level.

They should sell him,he didnt fulfilled expectations anyway

I definitely wouldn't write him off, he's still a young player learning the game in a new football culture. Playing in front of Paul Robinson, with slow-as-a-wet-weekend Michael Dawson as your CB partner and Zokora/Jenas/Hudd as your midfield screen is hardly ideal circumstances to adapt to the English game.

I still think he has good technique, a mean shot on him and he's a good passer of the ball. He can tackle when he wants, but his decision making and positioning need attention.

With coaching and a steady back 4 he could improve. I certainly don't hold his performances this season against him.

http://www.setantasports.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/04/29/Premier-League-Makouns-agent-exclusive-on-move/?facets/sport-space/football/ireland-locale/
    Setantasports.com can reveal that Lille star Jean II Makoun is discussing a move to a London club.

The Cameroonian is speaking to ‘an ambitious’ club from the capital, although Manchester City are in the frame for the talented midfielder.

Agent Jean-Christophe Thouvenel has revealed that Makoun has a gentleman’s agreement with LOSC to be transferred in the summer and the representative is planning a big-money move for one of Ligue 1’s outstanding players.

“The discussions are very advanced with a London club,” Thouvenel told setantasports.com.

“It is not West Ham, no. Tottenham? Well, I cannot reveal it to you right now.

“To give you a clue, without naming the club, their manager is not English, they are a very good club that have a very ambitious project, they want to attack well and defend well.

“Last year Mathieu Bodmer and Kader Keita left Lille, and the club asked Makoun to stay one more year to help them with their transition to a new era.

“A new cycle will start there and I expect a very important transfer for the player.

“I am also in contact with Manchester City’s general manager.”

Anyone know anything about him?

• Advertisement

Positional sense is something you have from an early age imo, decision making you can work on, but if you don't have positional sense by 20, I don't think you'll really ever have it at a high leve.

As for Makoun, United were in for him 2 years ago but I think his average performances against United put us off. I've seen him a couple of times play, he's a defensive midfielder, doesn't get forward much but is relatively good in protecting the defence. The right type of player that Spurs need imo.

I wasnt paying much attention,why Robinson wasnt goalkeeper in last few games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I wasnt paying much attention,why Robinson wasnt goalkeeper in last few games?
    Because he's shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

Cos he's fat

And ****

No,real,what happened him to loose starting goalkeeper place?

• Advertisement
Advertisement