Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Added the gf to my policy...

Options
  • 24-05-2006 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Right so added the GF to my policy as it didnt cost me anything extra.. so why not! (I'm insured fully comp with Quinn)

Now, when I Was insured as a named driver on a Hibernian policy, I was insured TPFT.

When I looked at the amended insurance cert sent out today, I noticed that the GF (named driver) was covered Comprehensive? Is this unusual? If she is covered fully comp, does that mean shes insured to drive other cars? (I am)

Now, before you say "ring them", I *will* be ringing them first thing in the morning (Its 11pm atm), just wondering if anyone else is in the same situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭natnif

as far as I know she is insured comp...if the policy is comp then named driver automatically is.did you add her as a named driver or spouse?when you ring them, say you are living together...it's called common-law marriage and you will often get something back as insured and partner rates are cheaper...this is def the case with hibernian anyway!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

It's normal that a named driver on a comp. policy would also be comp., assuming she's over whatever age they want now (25?) and has a full license.

I'm suprised your insurance didn't reduce by adding her, the premium usually drops by adding a female driver on a policy. When I added my wife a few years back, my premium dropped.

Not sure on this, but I suspect she will need her own policy to give her open drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭natnif

yeah it's only the policyholder would have the open driving

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Sry should have gave more details!

We're living together for the time being. She's 20 and on a prov license... So im guessing thats why I didn't get anything back.

I'm guessing that eventhough she's covered fully comp, she's not insured to drive others, however i'll ring tomorrow to confirm this, it costs nothing to ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

People who have "settled down" are seen as less of a risk. Insuring a couple on a car is often cheaper than insuring one person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Only the policy holder is covered third party to drive other cars. Don't forget also that not all companies offer this form of 'open drive'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

I have my girlfriend on my car aswell. I'm 24 and covered fully comp as the main policy holder with a full licence. She's 23 and at the time she was added she had a provisional licence. It didn't cost anything to add her on, and when I looked at the cert she was covered fully comp aswell. I'm with Quinn Direct.

As with being able to drive other cars, you have to have your own policy, a full licence and the car you are driving has to have someone else insuring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 bringoutthegimp

You don't have to be living together to get your girlfriend on a hib policy.

I just did it and they didn't ask anything about living together, and I got about 20% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭conor_mc

When I was insuring my car a couple of years ago, I was checking out Hibernian Direct for quotes. Put my girlfriend down as "No Relation" and quote went up €300, changed it to "Partner" and it went down €300! Happy days.

Called them to ask what qualified as Partner - essentially living at the same address will do it.

Advertisement