Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL 250 modem: Sync flashing, ready not on at all

• 25-05-2006 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

NTL 250 modem: Sync flashing, ready not on at all

its been working pefectly for a year now this!!

I cant get this state to change no matter what i do:

disabling the internet connection
    unplugging modem
    rebooting
    plugging back in modem
    checking/plugging/unplugging all the wires

the ntl telly is also perfectly clear

do ye know what is wrong. anytime the signal is weak sync is usually steady and ready flashing (this has only happened once or twice in a year).

could it be a temporary fault with NTL? is my modem broken?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I reckon its an NTL fault. This used to happen to me regularly. NTL couldn't find the fault. Ring the customer service number tomorrow. Be prepared for lots of hold music..................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

One thing to do type 192.168.100.1 into IE type root root click status - Downstream Status , then read what it say's at Downstream Receive Power Level and Downstream SNR, and copy and paste the results.
    Unplug the modem again and watch to see does the sync lock on for even a minute.
    Is the modem on the same connection as the TV or is it on its own cable.
    Also check your using the right power supply for the modem.
    The only reasons the sync wouldn't lock on for a few minutes even, is possible the modem's phucked or no signals getting to it. I've also seen the wrong power supply cause it too but the sync wouldnt even flash just the power light came on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

crosstownk wrote:
    I reckon its an NTL fault. This used to happen to me regularly. NTL couldn't find the fault. Ring the customer service number tomorrow. Be prepared for lots of hold music..................

just want to get specific here, was 'ready' not on at all or flashing??

cause flashing is an NTL problem, i've never seen that light completely out!!!!

Cable Modem Downstream
    Downstream Lock : Not Locked
    Downstream Channel Id : 0
    Downstream Frequency : 226000000 Hz
    Downstream Modulation : unknown
    Downstream Symbol Rate : Unknown
    Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
    Downstream Receive Power Level : 1.4 dBmV
    Downstream SNR : 23.4 dB

sync goes straight to flashing. goes off as recv flicks on and then goes back to flashing and stays that way.

not a peep from ready

i'm using ethernet connection , whose light is on and the connection is showing as "connected" in internet connections in the control panel but obviously i have no internet. help and thanks!!

i am sharing a connection with the telly but i have bypassed the tv split and it doesnt make a difference

Well your Receive Power Level is spot on but the SNR is low that should be over 30 ish and the Downstream Frequency is wrong for Dublin too. It's feck all to do with the pc so dont worry about that. I'm kinda thinking its the modem because of the way the light are going on. It should flash on sync(looking for downstream) for a bit then go solid and then ready should start flashing(looking for upstream) then stay solid. The 250 modem is usally very reliable so you could just be unlucky for it to go duff.
    Anyway best give them a call 1800 321 321 evening time you might get through faster before 8.
    good luck
    let me know how you get on.

Here's what my status looks like
    Downstream Status

Downstream Lock : Locked
    Downstream Frequency : 418750000 Hz
    Downstream Modulation : QAM256
    Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12increment17
    Downstream Receive Power Level : 2.3 dBmV
    Downstream SNR : 31.8 dB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Try giving NTL a call, I had a similiar problem awhile ago. I thought it was just the service was down, as it happened before and that was fixed overnight. The last time it happened it stayed like that for 3 days before I got a chance to ring them, turns out they suspended it and I had to get the billholder to call the account dept. I think we where a bit late on the last bill so the BB got turned off, TV was fine but after it was paid we had to request that it be activated again :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your help. I rang NTL this morning from work and here is how it went;

Guy no 1 told me I had to be at my PC before anyone helped me and i could try again at 7:30 when i was at home. I didnt listen to him and requested politely that I needed to speak to someone to talk it through it now

Guy no 2 told me that as the telly was working and sync was flashing I had full downstream but no upstream at all. does this sound ok? here is my upstream data:

Cable Modem Upstream
    Upstream Lock : Not Locked
    Upstream Channel ID : 0
    Upstream Frequency : 0 Hz
    Upstream Modulation : QPSK
    Upstream Symbol Rate : 0 Ksym/sec
    Upstream transmit Power Level : 8.3 dBmV
    Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 0

he thought that it wasnt the modem but maybe the wall box or the filter (?). (I have since tried on a different wall box in the house and that didnt work ). one thing that struck me is that I get the same results whether i put the NTL cable into the modem or not, it makes no difference at all!! you unplug your cable and you should get my state !!!!

then came the real sucker punch, they couldnt get a guy to come out until Tuesday. TUESDAY!!!!!!!!!!
    I couldnt believe it and logged a complaint. A manager rang me back and told me that she has tried to fit me in for monday, not happy at all at all. i threatened to think about cancelling the TV and broadband and grudgingly accepted the monday call out. nightmare.

I didnt ask if I had been disconnected like the guy said but I will ask tomorrow. Is there anyway I can fix this myself without waiting until monday? my real fear is the guy who calls on monday wont fix it and the saga will escalate, I'll lose the plot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

okcomputer wrote:
    just want to get specific here, was 'ready' not on at all or flashing??

cause flashing is an NTL problem, i've never seen that light completely out!!!!
    Ready light not on at all.

If it was finding the downstream sync would stay solid even for a minute and your Downstream Frequency would read 418750000 Hz. Only other thing I can think of is the lead from the outlet box to the modem is damaged check the pin in the middle of it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

okcomputer wrote:
    Tuesday
    I couldnt believe it and logged a complaint. A manager rang me back and told me that she has tried to fit me in for monday, not happy at all at all. i threatened to think about cancelling the TV and broadband and grudgingly accepted the monday call out. nightmare.

In fairness this is the reality of things, a eng appointment for Tuesday is actually pretty good going and their furfilling their part of the contract you signed, certainly nothing wrong with it in my books

As for the request to be at the PC, thats standard and nothing at all wrong with this request...they don't want to waste company time/money on sending out a eng to someone who hasn't bothered to do the basics that often fix problems....they don't know your techy or not

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote:
    In fairness this is the reality of things, a eng appointment for Tuesday is actually pretty good going and their furfilling their part of the contract you signed, certainly nothing wrong with it in my books

As for the request to be at the PC, thats standard and nothing at all wrong with this request...they don't want to waste company time/money on sending out a eng to someone who hasn't bothered to do the basics that often fix problems....they don't know your techy or not

they are fulfilling the contract but i think its poor all the same that they couldnt have someone within 48 hours , I just do. Am I alone in this expectation?:eek:

Anyway its working again now, i came home from work and its magiced itself back without any input from me. ready and sync both steady. I feel guilty for giving them such a hard time on the phone but i still think i was right . poor service should not be just taken on the chin:confused:

Cable Modem Downstream
    Downstream Lock : Locked
    Downstream Channel Id : 51
    Downstream Frequency : 418750000 Hz
    Downstream Modulation : QAM64
    Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
    Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
    Downstream Receive Power Level : 1.8 dBmV
    Downstream SNR : 37.7 dB

Advertisement