Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most dramatic Champions League final, loyalties and prejudices aside?

• 25-05-2006 12:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

Tough too choose, United dramatic comeback or Liverpools?

Most dramatic Champions League final, loyalties and prejudices aside? 23 votes

Manchester United Vs Bayern Munich cl final may 26th 1999
    0% 0 votes
    Liverpool Vs Ac Milan cl final may 25th 2005
    100% 23 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Overlord

Great question. First off I'm a united fan so I'm biased.
    Liverpools comeback last year is without doubt the best comeback in the champions league, ever. No doubt about it for me. But for sheer drama it must be uniteds win in '99. It was nothing short of daylight robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

liverpools, not because i'm a fan, but because how the hell did an italian team concede 3 goals in such a big match, and all within 6 minutes.

plus liverpool had to do it with djimi traore :p

*edit*

plus where/how/why/how the hell did dudek save that shot from shevy in extra time.

plus u cant get more dramatic than a peno shoot out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Overlord wrote:
    Great question. First off I'm a united fan so I'm biased.
    Liverpools comeback last year is without doubt the best comeback in the champions league, ever. No doubt about it for me. But for sheer drama it must be uniteds win in '99. It was nothing short of daylight robbery.

would agree with you

and thats a non biased opinion(honestly):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Honestly I would go with Utd, Liverpool had the full half to get back into it, Utd had 5 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Definitely the stage of the turning point for the united game wins - 5 minutes to go doesn't get much better then that. Except at that point it was normal for united to create massive pressure towards the end of games and come away with what the wanted, I think that waters it slightly.

Liverpool scored their three in six minutes, fairly dramatic. Liverpool's comeback was less expected (definitely the weaker team to Milan compared to United against Bayern), so more of an underdog achievment. Milan going ahead so early was dramatic, Milan effectively finishing the game before halftime was more entertaining then Bayern's lead (not for me though, I was stressed and depressed). Going through extra time thinking Liverpool were on their last legs and a slight wind would count against them was dramatic. And penalties, what can I say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I think the fact that Liverpool were such HUGE underdogs, and being 3-0 down make the Liverpool win the most dramatic.

At half time most people would have been considering a 5-0 or 6-0 win for Milan, not Liverpool going home with the European Cup.

[off-topic] I'm not taking anything away from United's win, in many ways they were more deserving winners of the Cup than Liverpool and that "dynasty" that Ferguson had created surely merited that trophy. [/off-topic]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

I think it's a tough call. It's much of a muchness really. Three goals in 6 minutes is incredibly impressive, shocking, dramatic, but then, so is 2 goals in injury time. I'd say they were both as dramatic as each other, in their own way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

I would probably go with Uniteds as it all happened in injury time and th effect of that was unbelieveable. Liverpool's was very dramatic and you cant get much better than a 3-3 draw, especially coming back from 3 down, and then a penalty shoot out. But with Uniteds all happening in injury time they just about get my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Can we have an extra option - so the poll to be Pool/Utd/equally as dramatic as each other in their own right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I think it's a tough call. It's much of a muchness really. Three goals in 6 minutes is incredibly impressive, shocking, dramatic, but then, so is 2 goals in injury time. I'd say they were both as dramatic as each other, in their own way.

Mind those Splinters.;)

For me it would be the united game as the feeling of elation after it appeared we were going to lose was fantastic. (I,m a united supporter),

Liverpool supporters wil pick their one as it is the one that would have most meaning for them.

Club loyalties aside Liverpool had further to come back from so theirs is the "more dramatic" achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

The Muppet wrote:
    Mind those Splinters.;)

For me it would be the united game as the felling of elation after it appeared we were going to lose was fantastic. (I,m a united supporter),

Liverpool supporters wil pick their one as it is the one that would have most meaning for them.

Liverpool had further to come back from so theirs is the "better" achievement.
    Totally agree with that - the emotion when it's your own team behind is always going to be more consuming. Despite that, I still feel Liverpool's had several huge points of drama as opposed to United's one focal point.

To be fair, while it's a good question it should really be decided by what the neutrals think (Big Nelly doesn't count ;)) and the number of fans who are willing to break ranks, i.e. pool fans voting united and vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The United final was actually a poor game. For most of it Bayern just passed the ball around Ferguson's men and looked set to bore them to death, sure it had a thrilling climax, but the Liverpool final had so much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

i dont think i can re edit it maybe an admin can

United were doin that all year though even if ya see it again the commentator says "Can Manchester score, they ALWAYS score" Giggs, Sheringham, NAME ON THE TROPHY"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojIgo-SraK0&search=man%20utd%20champions%20league
    still get goosebumps watching that

And Liverpools had to come from Stevie G, i actually though game on here when he got the first goal, the crowd went ballistic what a comeback from 3 goals down...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JT7yXRKWIZA&search=liverpool%20champions%20league%20ac%20milan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I am a United fan but the Liverpool/Milan match was definetly the most dramatic.
    Liverpool had a worse team than United had (United won all around them in those years)-they were playing a better team- Milan were acres better than Munich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

in my eyes the liverpool game was the most dramatic,
    it had everything,
    the bitter lows where many thought liverpool were going to get demolished,
    the sweet sugary highs of justice, smicer inflicted justice,
    a penalty miss, and all the gasps and then the belated cheer as xabi ran in for the rebound,
    it had traoré,
    the unbelievable save(s) from dudek who was clearly possesed by the goalkeeping devil,
    the goal milan had ruled out when sheva was already celebrating with the corner flag.
    it had it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

in my eyes the liverpool game was the most dramatic,
    it had everything,
    the bitter lows where many thought liverpool were going to get demolished,
    the sweet sugary highs of justice, smicer inflicted justice,
    a penalty miss, and all the gasps and then the belated cheer as xabi ran in for the rebound,
    it had traoré,
    the unbelievable save(s) from dudek who was clearly possesed by the goalkeeping devil,
    the goal milan had ruled out when sheva was already celebrating with the corner flag.
    it had it all.

^^^ sums it up nicely.

The world will never forget - Djimi Traore - Champion of Europe. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    The world will never forget - Djimi Traore - Champion of Europe. ;)
    God Bless Djimi :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

You have to say that the United/Bayern game wasn't that dramatic until the last 3 minutes of the game when 2 goals came from nowhere, just like that. The game seemed to be dead, from my memory it didn't seem to be an end-to-end affair. The Istanbul game had a more gradual comeback. Then throw in factors like Dudek's save in extra time from a point blank Shevo shot and the penalty shoot-out and you have some top class drama. But then again, how much more dramatic can you get than 2 goals in injury time??
    I may sit on the fence for this one. Two great come-backs, two great finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

it wasn't exactly a european final but pool - newcastle 4-3 collymore closing in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Glen Fitzpatrick vs Lille tbh (even if it was the UEFA Cup...) :D

Honestly though, I'd have to pick Liverpool. They were written off by practically everyone at half time, it really did seem a question of how many Milan would score.

Dudeks save in extra time was just such an unbelievable moment, you just knew they would do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't know, none of them compare to the FA Cup match that year.

Penalty save and the greatest Man Utd goal of all time,
    what more could you ask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tricky one this, I find myself gagging as I tick the 1999 final.

I will justify the vote by saying the Liverpool comeback happened early enough in the second half for the final result to be a miracle but not a shock whereas Man Utd really did look dead and buried until those 3 mins of extra time. Bayern were stunned and frankly so was I! :D

I shall now wash my hands...;)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

1-0 down ,30 secs into extra time against a dour efficient German defence.
    United looked like they would never score.
    To conjure up 2 goals in as many minutes ,bringing your goalie up into the penalty box,then have Bayern tip off and the final whistle blown,that is dramatic.
    Watching grown men have a breakdown live on TV.
    It was smash and grab .
    There is an area in the Old Trafford museum where they replay those 2 goals over and over endlessly.I could stay there all day.
    The most dramatic final in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

mike65 wrote:
    Tricky one this, I find myself gagging as I tick the 1999 final.

I will justify the vote by saying the Liverpool comeback happened early enough in the second half for the final result to be a miracle but not a shock whereas Man Utd really did look dead and buried until those 3 mins of extra time. Bayern were stunned and frankly so was I! :D

I shall now wash my hands...;)

Mike.
    Get out! And don't expect to be let back in :p

Me. Most dramatic has to be the 3 goals in 6 minutes + Dudek save + peno shootout combo last year, in my biased opinion :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

TBH the manu match was spent waiting for the equaliser and it happened to come in the last minute with a winner straight after. An explosion of joy all in a few moments. During the liverpool match i thought it was over by half time and the second half come back couldn't have been written by dan brown. For drama it's '05 but for the best footballing moment was '99.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Liverpool with out a shadow of a doubt!!
    The difference between the two is Utd had it all happen in the last 2 mins!!
    Pool dead and buried in the first half!! First Goal comes in and then the second, Everyone started biting their nails!! Then the 3rd goal went in!! Everytime either side got the ball it was nailbiting to say the least!!!

Advertisement