Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do you get dealer discount if your first car is a new one??

Options
  • 25-05-2006 1:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

I've heard this from some friends but haven't looked into it. Is this true?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

You can get a discount on lots of cars once you are paying by cash...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

elvis2002 wrote:
    Do you get dealer discount if your first car is a new one?? I've heard this from some friends but haven't looked into it. Is this true?

Do you mean a discount over and above that given to someone buying the same car, but not as a first car? If so then (unless some garages are running a promotion that I'm unaware of) no.

Big Balls wrote:
    You can get a discount on lots of cars once you are paying by cash...

Garages don't give discounts for paying by cash, they give them for not having trade-ins. This is referred to as a cash deal, but does not actually mean that you must pay by cash. Cheque, bank draft, finance are all fine - the real requirement is that you be paying money for the entire value of the car - ie no trade-in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭The_Magoo

First time buyers discount on a new car? Dont know who told ya that but they must have been breaking their **** laughing afterwards!

The_Magoo wrote:
    First time buyers discount on a new car? Dont know who told ya that but they must have been breaking their **** laughing afterwards!
    In fairness to the OP, I could quite easily see a car salesman saying "look, seeing as it's your first car, I'll give you an extra €200 off" or words to that effect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭The_Magoo

Anan1 wrote:
    In fairness to the OP, I could quite easily see a car salesman saying "look, seeing as it's your first car, I'll give you an extra €200 off" or words to that effect.
    Granted, but the impression I got was that the OP believed there is some kind of First Time buyers discount, which is unheard off, and fair enough I can see a salesman saying "Ah sure, its your first car, theres €100 off and sure we will give ya a warranty and a full tank a petrol as well", where as if a well informed punter was to go in and haggle, they would probably get a far greater discount. Any way just ignore me, I am hungover and grumpy, was at that farce of a footbal match with the lads last night and we went on a bit of a sess after.:o :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Anan1 wrote:

that's very likely alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

colm_mcm wrote:
    that's very likely alright.

And the OP wont be trading a car as it is his first one so he should be in a good position to get some money off. Depening on the car you should get between a half and one percent. If you are buying a new car it is ofter worth your while trying different dealers.

What car are you interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

dingding wrote:
    Depening on the car you should get between a half and one percent.

??
    I would say between 7-10%. When I was trying to buy a new Octavia earlier in the year I was getting about 7, but some tougher hacks seem to be able to do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

a figure of around 5% is doable, some manufacturers build in higher discounts in their prices, French tend to discount the most, and Germans the least. Japs somewhere in the middle (huge generalisation)

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote:
    Garages don't give discounts for paying by cash, they give them for not having trade-ins. This is referred to as a cash deal, but does not actually mean that you must pay by cash. Cheque, bank draft, finance are all fine - the real requirement is that you be paying money for the entire value of the car - ie no trade-in.

Really?

Jesus I thought is was compulsory to turn up with a case full of unused notes !

Cash deal, straight deal, no trade in... there's plenty of different ways of saying it.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anan1 wrote:

Good point, a lot of people don't realise this. Cash only could be required in small dodgy dealers, but for the vast majority it just means no trade-in

unkel wrote:
    Good point, a lot of people don't realise this. for the vast majority it just means no trade-in

I think Anan and yourself are insulting a lot of people's intelligence by claiming this in fairness.

I for one, found it pretty funny that Anan thought I didn't understand it anyway.

Big Balls wrote:
    I think Anan and yourself are insulting a lot of people's intelligence by claiming this in fairness.

I for one, found it pretty funny that Anan thought I didn't understand it anyway.

You didn't appear to. Otherwise, why would you say:
    Big Balls wrote:
    "You can get a discount on lots of cars once you are paying by cash..."
    ?

As anyone who has ever worked in the motor trade in Ireland will tell you, this is NOT the same thing as a cash, or straight deal.

Advertisement