Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help needed ASAP - BMW 320

Options
  • 25-05-2006 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Hi all

was getting a lift home from the buddy tonight from town, when two service lights on dash lit up - one for abs and the other a triangle with an anticlockwise arrow around it (ya i'm after a few pints ok!?!)

car is a '98 BMW 320, and is due for NCT on monday morning - any chance anybody knows how to extinguish said lights so car can pass NCT, and then buddy will look after watever needs to be done?

any advice would be great,thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

sounds like some sort of abs fault. could be as simple as a sensor - but you would need to get it checked out.

the triangle warning light is your traction control indicator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Triangle light just sounds like DSC/traction light is on !

Try switching it on !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Big Balls wrote:
    Triangle light just sounds like DSC/traction light is on !

Try switching it on !

Yeah, sounds like the ASC light. If the car is like mine, there should be a button near the ashtray called "ASC". Though it sounds like a service problem, if it the lights just turned on? No harm pressing it to see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Could probably be the brake light switch.
    Try this.
    Step heavy on the brake pedal and turn on the engine.
    See if the light goes out, then its probably the brake light switch, located on the top of the brake pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

asc button wont turn off light on dash. hes trying out brake light switch as we speak.

i don't know if the traction control light will be a reason for fail in the NCT - ive checked the NCT manual and it doesn't seem to say anything?

as for the ABS light, i'd say this could be a possible fail situation? typical, NCT 3 days away! any other advice? any fuse he can pop out to just turn the lights off for the NCT? or would he be better off geting it looked at. ABS is working fine, hes tested the brakes, and the car is driving exactly as before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

ciarsd wrote:
    sounds like some sort of abs fault. could be as simple as a sensor - but you would need to get it checked out.

the triangle warning light is your traction control indicator
    Could be - I'd check for dirt caught between a sensor and the trigger wheel just in case. Sometimes just going through a puddle can splash dirt onto a sensor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

My ABS light was permanently on and it was the grey abs relay in the fuse box under the bonnet. It's about 30 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

cheers for the replies lads, got a relay from scrap and that's sorted the abs light. asc light won't go off, button won't seem to do anything, but sur he'll put her through the NCT and see what happens!

thanks again for the replies!

Advertisement