Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

supplemental reading

• 25-05-2006 2:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭

Hello all, I just finished my first year in psychology and I've been planning to get some supplemental reading done during the summer ;) (get the heads up for next september!) I don't have a clue where to start so I thought where better to get advice than from the wise and all knowing posters on the psychology forum!

Any suggestions? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Hi Valmont, there's already a sticky started with some people's recommended books - so check out there first and see if there's anything you haven't touched already.

Also, to help people to help you, is there any particular areas that you expect to be starting into in second year? It might help you more if your reading is targeted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Well I will be starting cognitive psychology and social psychology among other things. Any sort of book just short of the actual textbook that would give me an idea of what to expect in those areas would be great.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Why not go for the core texts for your subjects, that's what I used to do. I found that once I started the subject that I had a better understanding of what was been said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The core textbook would be the best place to start. No point looking up more specific books and running before you can walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

John2 wrote:
    The core textbook would be the best place to start. No point looking up more specific books and running before you can walk.

That wasn't my plan anyway! I got a few good ideas from the sticky at the start of the forum so mission accomplished.:D

• Advertisement

And of course, feel free to ask questions :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Valmont wrote:
    Well I will be starting cognitive psychology and social psychology among other things. Any sort of book just short of the actual textbook that would give me an idea of what to expect in those areas would be great.

Cheers

Try Steven Pinker's "How the mind works" for a broad easy-enough to read overview of cognitive psychology.

I thought that was an awful book. It makes a lot of stuff far more complicated than it really is.

Advertisement