Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Licence Restriction & Insurance

• 25-05-2006 8:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have an A licence and the normal two year restriction has expired. During the period of the restriction I have not owned or utilised any bike. I have some questions regarding this:

1. Am I legally licenced to ride any bike now even though I have not gained any experience during the restricted period?

I have many years of driving experience in other vehicles. I have a full clean and unrestricted licence in all classes and regularly drive vehicles in categories B, EC and D. I have a full NCB and have never been involved in an accident (where I was at fault). No claims have ever been made against me. I am in mid 30s.

2. If I were to insure a bike would any of this be taken into account or would I be treated like any new teenage biker?

3. Would an insurance company expect me to have insured a bike during the resrticted period and would I be penalised for not having done so?

I accept that the type of bike would probably make a difference but I would appreciate any 'general' answers. Please excuse my ignorance on the subject. Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Litcagral wrote:
    Hi

I have an A licence and the normal two year restriction has expired. During the period of the restriction I have not owned or utilised any bike. I have some questions regarding this:

1. Am I legally licenced to ride any bike now even though I have not gained any experience during the restricted period?
    yes
    I have many years of driving experience in other vehicles. I have a full clean and unrestricted licence in all classes and regularly drive vehicles in categories B, EC and D. I have a full NCB and have never been involved in an accident (where I was at fault). No claims have ever been made against me. I am in mid 30s.

2. If I were to insure a bike would any of this be taken into account or would I be treated like any new teenage biker?

Your age and how the bike is stored at night will make a difference. Obviously the new policy will start with 0% NCB which you will have to build up over 5 years of claim free riding.
    3. Would an insurance company expect me to have insured a bike during the resrticted period and would I be penalised for not having done so?
    Apart from not having an NCB - no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Many thanks pH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,748 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That's down to lack of NCB.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

I heard that Aon don't cover above group 8 in your first year being insured with them.
    Unfortunately, you do not get any credit for driving so many different types of vehicles for so many years claim-free.. However, you DO get penalised by the insurance companies for penalty points gained while driving those other vehicles.. BA*****S !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Eye

Regarding AON not insuring you above group 8 in your first year being insured with them, maybe that's true if it's your first bike but not if you have previous biking experience. I will be moving over to aon in the next 2-3 weeks as i changed my bike back in feb and carole nash are looking for a rather pricey renewal from me. never been with aon before but they quoted me no bother on an fjr1300 which i'm pretty sure is up around group 11-12.

Just as a side note, i just got my full licence last october so still have well over a year left before my restriction is removed, however AON never asked for any details on that at all. still got that same quote when i did give all those details on the website for an online quote though.

Advertisement