Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Easy to replace Power Steering unit??

Options
  • 25-05-2006 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Ok, I know this should be in the Motors forum, but I can't find it (Must be going mad!!!) (Not the motors for sale section), so I'd be grateful if it could be moved there, thanks!

Basically, I'm thinking about buying a Toyota Corolla (new model) which describes itself as having faulty power steering. From that I'm taking it to mean I'd have to replace the power steering unit.

Do any of ye know if this is a big job, or is it pretty straight forward.
    Also, would you roughly know how much this unit would cost, & how much you're likely to pay a mechanic to do the work.

I'm trying to figure out whether or not i'm getting a bargain or if I should run a mile!!!

Thanks for your help & sorry again for posting in the wrong forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Here's where you need to go :)

Rec--> Motors --> Motors

Too much booze last night, hmm ?

About your powersteering question: you'd need to know what's faulty about it. If it's the pump, then those are easily replaced (€200 in parts + €120 to fit), or if it's leaking fluid, that might be cheaper for parts but maybe more expensive in labour. Some powersteering systems are connected to the car's computer/ECU (for the "speed sensitive" function) so there may be electrical problems there if the PS is working, but is heavier than it should be.

On the other hand, it could just be that the fuse has blown if there is one for the PS, in which case it might just need replaced, or it might still point to bigger probs.

Try and get a go in a "working" Corolla as a comparison. I wouldn't be put off buying the car you saw, because you can use the fault as a bargaining mechanism once you know how much a nonfaulty car costs. I'd figure €400 to €500 to lop off the price due to the fault. Usually it's just the pump that goes, or the belt that drives it. All easy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Thanks franksm,

No, no booze last night unfortunately, lack of sleep maybe!!!!

Ok Mods, you can delete this now, I've posted it it Motors.

Thanks & sorry for the hassle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Yet again, an excellent representation of women on boards.

sinecurea wrote:
    Yet again, an excellent representation of women on boards.

Ever hear the phrase:- " if you've got nothing nice to say, say nothing at all"????

Thanks for your input:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭EWheelChair

Ever heard of the phrase, "if you've got nothing to say, at least post it on the right forum?"

Honestly, in the time it took you to look for the motor forum and fail to find it. Then post a thread explaining how you looked but couldn't find it.. you could have rang your local garge and got an answer.

You're asking nerds about cars!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Ever heard of the phrase, "if you've got nothing to say, at least post it on the right forum?"

Honestly, in the time it took you to look for the motor forum and fail to find it. Then post a thread explaining how you looked but couldn't find it.. you could have rang your local garge and got an answer.

You're asking nerds about cars!

And who might these "Nerds" be?? There are alot of people on Boards who know what they are doing when it comes to cars!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

And why isn't there a proper nerds forum ? I demand the right to argue whether Picard is better than Kirk (although Kirk would kick Picard's shiney ass any day).

Or is that the Comp--> set of forums ?

Anyway, I like the crossover between threads/forums. Imagine if all the humour was kept to the Humour forum. After hours would be full of tumbleweeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Hey BB,

Ok maybe i'm missing something here but, Why buy a car you know is faulty? Would you not go for a car you know is ok? Or maybe a year older if they aren't said to be faulty too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Maybe it's going on the cheap?

Ah yes, that would make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

franksm wrote:
    And why isn't there a proper nerds forum ?

All of boards is for nerds, it's just some people are in denial and like to pretend that they're 'cool', or 'hot', or whatever temperature kids like things to be these days.

Maybe it's going on the cheap?

Yea, it was a UK reg & after bringing through & fixing would still have worked out a good few grand cheaper.

BUT, it's been sold now anyway, so I'll just have to count the pennies again to see if I can afford a non-broken one

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Whats your price range for one?

TBH would love to get one for €10,500, but would also like quite low mileage.
    Defo COULDN'T pay more than €12k (nor do I think I'd want to!!)

I mean, it's only a car after all, plus we don't have actual roads where I'm from so the thing would be wrecked after a few months anyway!!!

Kiera wrote:
    Ah yes, that would make sense.
    HAHA! Good one Kiera, yet another shining example for the girls!

sinecurea wrote:
    HAHA! Good one Kiera, yet another shining example for the girls!
    Ok whats with the girl-bashing today?

M'eh, I'm just in that mood today I guess :)

sinecurea wrote:
    M'eh, I'm just in that mood today I guess :)
    Oh i hear you! Was in that very mood yesterday ;)

Kiera wrote:
    Oh i hear you! Was in that very mood yesterday ;)
    I don't get you. :confused:

sinecurea wrote:
    I don't get you. :confused:
    Maybe its better that way!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

BoozyBabe wrote:
    TBH would love to get one for €10,500, but would also like quite low mileage.
    Defo COULDN'T pay more than €12k (nor do I think I'd want to!!)

you do know that you can get a spanky new Toyota Aygo, Peugeot 107 or Citroen C1 for under 12k

<devil's advocate>
    or a boyfriend to buy the car for you...
    </devil's advocate>

Yea, Thanks Beruthiel, but I don't like them.

Have my heart set on a Corolla for some reason!
    bought a Focus less than a year ago & I HATE it, & really want to change it before I put the mileage up too much.

Problem is I can't see anything I actually like except the Corolla & an A3.
    The A3 just goes for silly money, so I'm left with the Corolla

sinecurea wrote:
    <devil's advocate>
    or a boyfriend to buy the car for you...
    </devil's advocate>

Tried that!!!:D

No luck:- he's looking to buy a new style golf at about 22k!!!:eek:
    Nothing left over for me:(

and I bet he's keeping it all to himself, eh? :)

sinecurea wrote:
    and I bet he's keeping it all to himself, eh? :)

Yup!!!
    Not even allowed to drive his old one:mad:

Though, in fairness:- getting back to my point of there not being proper roads in my area & me not that bothered about driving at the normal speed over the non existant roads might have something to do with it!!!:D

BoozyBabe wrote:
    Yup!!!
    Not even allowed to drive his old one:mad:
    Smart man.

I'm only messing about, by the way - I'm even still just learning to drive myself.
    I know I've just opened myself to attack there but hey - what can I say, I'm a nice guy :)

No offence taken!!!

Nah, he's just V protective of his car (it's a bit sad really!!)

& it's not my driving actually!! I'm a V good driver as everyone says & have had full license 3 yrs, driving 2 yrs before that, no points, no accidents, so there!!!:p

• Advertisement

BoozyBabe wrote:
    No offence taken!!!

Don't worry, I didn't ask ;)

Advertisement