Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacing Power Steering Unit????

Options
  • 25-05-2006 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Basically, I'm thinking about buying a Toyota Corolla (new model) which describes itself as having faulty power steering. From that I'm taking it to mean I'd have to replace the power steering unit.

Do any of ye know if this is a big job, or is it pretty straight forward.
    Also, would you roughly know how much this unit would cost, & how much you're likely to pay a mechanic to do the work.

I'm trying to figure out whether or not i'm getting a bargain or if I should run a mile!!!

franksm wrote:
    About your powersteering question: you'd need to know what's faulty about it. If it's the pump, then those are easily replaced (€200 in parts + €120 to fit), or if it's leaking fluid, that might be cheaper for parts but maybe more expensive in labour. Some powersteering systems are connected to the car's computer/ECU (for the "speed sensitive" function) so there may be electrical problems there if the PS is working, but is heavier than it should be.

On the other hand, it could just be that the fuse has blown if there is one for the PS, in which case it might just need replaced, or it might still point to bigger probs.

Try and get a go in a "working" Corolla as a comparison. I wouldn't be put off buying the car you saw, because you can use the fault as a bargaining mechanism once you know how much a nonfaulty car costs. I'd figure €400 to €500 to lop off the price due to the fault. Usually it's just the pump that goes, or the belt that drives it. All easy stuff

(Had this posted in AH as I couldn't find this Forum, above is my 1st reply there, thanks)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Well its hard to know. Might be something cheap but if it was it's likely that the seller would have fixed it before putting it up for sale. What has probably happened is the seller knows that it's an expensive job and can't be bothered/can't afford to fix it.

Therefore I'd say you should budget for replacing the pump or the rack. I reckon for a new power steering pump including fitting you'd be talking 500-600. For a new rack including fitting you might be talking about 900-1000.

Toyota experts (colm_mcm?) will be able to give more accurate figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

The new model corolla has an electric power steering, the electric motor for the steering sits behind the speedo, and its not an easy job job to replace.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Ring a Toyota Dealer and ask them for a price on replacing the complete Steering Rack and that will be the top price!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

No need to worry now anyway.

Just found out the car has been sold.

Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

BrianD3 wrote:
    Well its hard to know. Might be something cheap but if it was it's likely that the seller would have fixed it before putting it up for sale. What has probably happened is the seller knows that it's an expensive job and can't be bothered/can't afford to fix it.

Definately!

• Advertisement
Advertisement