Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lads, where would I get...

Options
  • 25-05-2006 9:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

A really cheap laptop? I'm talking something really crap here - like a 166mhz thing would do....no interest in the wanted computer hardware so I thought someone here might even have an ancient laptop lying around? Its for very basic wireless use so it has to have a pcmia slot, or even a usb slot for a dongle prob would do...doesn't need to have a working battery or anything like that. Again, 133 or 166mhz would be fine...

Don't direct me to ABS computers or any of those rip off merchants in the city :D

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Well dell do a very nice lappy for 399...or you could try the FS Computer section on the boards ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well dell do a very nice lappy for 399...or you could try the FS Computer section on the boards ...

Yeah, tried fs boards, nothing low enough spec'd for me, just need something ultra basic or ultra cheap, I had a 166mhz lappy which was perfect, sold it, got a 800mhz thinkpad which was great then THAT broke, so I'm really only looking now again for something in the 166mhz margin....:D

It'll only be used for about 30 minutes a day wireless net browsing in my room so don't want to have to get a new lappy from dell or anything expensive, would just be a waste...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Public Health storeroom had one sat in a box afaik :D

whaaaa.....?

edit: There is someone in the galway independant selling 50 laptops @ 200 each, but can't get through to the damn number, would be interesting to know what spec they are...probably rubbish and a rip off but ya never know...don't suppose anyone rang this guy?

HavoK wrote:
    whaaaa.....?

edit: There is someone in the galway independant selling 50 laptops @ 200 each, but can't get through to the damn number, would be interesting to know what spec they are...probably rubbish and a rip off but ya never know...don't suppose anyone rang this guy?

If his address is Back of Lorry, Salthill.. probably best to avoid.

Try ebay or something.. though you could also try checking college bulletin boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

HavoK wrote:
    whaaaa.....?

wasn't there something in last weeks paper warning of people selling cheap laptops???

Yeah, there was, but that's usually operated on a you see laptop, they switch it before sale, and I'd know well enough to stay away from that sort of thing!

Anyway, I rang the guy....it says 50x laptops, 200ea, phone tim, etc etc.

So I ring him, he doesn't know "nothin" about the laptops, and is only selling them as one lot! Who an earth is going to buy 50 laptops of unknown spec!

It sounds to me like some chancer got a load of ex-business lappies somewhere through a contact - friend of mine gets loads of old computers sometimes this way - and is now trying to sell them on....

Anyway, surely someone in Galway has an old lappy....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Tell your mate tim I'll give him 50quid for the lot, and that's doing him a favour.

Advertisement