Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house in Whitechurch, Rathfarnham

Options
  • 25-05-2006 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭

Have been to see a house we really liked in the Whitechurch estate in Rathfarnham. The house is very close to the Furry Bog pub and the shops around the area and we're concerned about trouble in the pub at the weekends etc. Just wondering if anyone had any knowledge of the area which they could share.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I have no idea what whitechurch is like now, but it used be a bit of a hole. a lot of really badly raised kids essentially. Rathfarnham and the area around there has cleaned up (everyone always thought it was so nice - shoulda seen some of the random crap :D) from big ok with some dodgy crap to generally grand now, but the furry bog has never been the most respectable pub in the world.

My advice? go on a session there some night, and see what its like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

i live in rathfarnham, it's the quitessential middle-class area, it's a mix of all types. Whitechurch isn't that bad at all really, it's dodgyness is accentuated by the expensive houses around it. I'm 19 and lived here all my life, Whitechurch is fine, a good few of my friends live there, the Furrybog is a shíthole though mainly owing to the supposed illegal conduct of it's owner and the bringing in of undesireables from other areas. Having said that, the area used to be a bit of hole but it's cleaned up an awful lot. you wouldnt even know it is/was a council estate from driving through it. plus the Dublin mountains on your doorstep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

I live just beside Whitechurch but if you're planning on staying there long term and raising a family I would think long and hard about it. My mother works in the school there which is broken into more weekends in the year than not. If you're willing to travel though, there's quite a few good schools elsewhere.

Personally I wouldn't buy there.

A night in one of the locals there might give you a better idea. Go down there and take a walk some weekend too, or on a weekday once the schools are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

djkeogh wrote:
    Have been to see a house we really liked in the Whitechurch estate in Rathfarnham. The house is very close to the Furry Bog pub and the shops around the area and we're concerned about trouble in the pub at the weekends etc. Just wondering if anyone had any knowledge of the area which they could share.

Thanks

Hi
    Dont mind me asking how much is it going for a friend of mine live,s there and is talking about selling next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

When I was buying, I saw a house there I was interested in. I asked around and was told by anyone I asked to stay away from White Church. No idea what its like myself. 2 of the people I asked are from Rathfarnham..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

I personally would never buy in Whitechurch, there is a lot of unsavory elements there. It can be pretty rough as well, My mate got assualted in the area one night and I had some youths trying to break into my car a few months back

Its better than it used to be. Hell, Tara Hill is grand these days in comparison to what it was like (would never walk through there when i was a kid)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

Not a good idea to live in Whitechurch, there are lovely areas around it such as willbrook etc but whitechurch is a bad apple, robbed cars, drunk teenagers the lot. Im from Willbrook myself and although there s only less tyhan a mile in between it a whole different world

Oh and the Furry Bog god no dont give them ur hard earned cash, its like a community hall!!:eek:

Yeah, go to the tuning fork instead - just as weird a pub, but smaller! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wookie

Maybe it is a case of the difference between the surrounding estates being very big.

Moyvile, Wilbrook, Boden park are right beside it and they are very settled quiet areas. So this might make dodgy behaviour stand out. Also as noted already it is much quieter these days (age demographic getting older).

If you like the place stick a bid in now, you will still have plenty of time to research before it comes to the crunch.

I was in a similar position a couple of years ago in Crumlin (around Cashel Avenue). There were plenty of really dodgy people about . Anyway what made us go for the place in the end was a colleague who lived near by and gave us the “run down”. As it turned out our immediate neighbours were really sound people. Slightly further a field some not so good people but they did not impact on us much.

With a bit of luck you will get some responses from people who live in Whitechurch itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Right I'm from the rathfarnham area and can offer 2 insights into this.

My cousin bought a place up there about 2/3 years ago and from what I know, she hasn't had a problem.

From knowing the people up there, it turns out nothing but dirt (nicest way I can put it). IMO the place is a kip, drug dealers are rampany in the place and the gardai will rarely visit the place unless of course they're looking for a suspect.

YOU CAN GET SOMEWHERE BETTER!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Amergin the wiz

I lived in whitechurch for a year, jezuz what a kip of a place!
    The main reason why I moved out was because I had had enough of the troublesome kids in that estate. I live up whitechurch way and it was aweful.
    My landlady was so nice and the house I lived in was very comfortable which made it all the more annoying to have to move out.
    Fek those kids, it's just like Jean Paul Satre said: "Hell is other people.":(

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Suzette

I know the area well and have been in the Furry Bog Pub a few times - it is rough - lots of dr*gs around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Teddydoodle

I bought a place in whitechurch 4 years ago. It had made previous owners over 1ook profit after their 3 years and i'm already up 130k after 4 years, pretty good eh?! Listen, first time buyers have to start somewhere and the estate is slowly becoming more privately owned than council owned. I've never had any trouble here and think the location is very handy.
    PS - only went into Furry Bog once though, never to be repeated!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

Take a walk
    around
    the area about 10:30pm these summer evenings.
    You'll get to see the local wildlife and can make your decision then - if you survive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Teddydoodle

Have you actually been into the estate? I've lived here for four years, my neighbours are lovely people and I know people who have lived here all their lives and they have never had any trouble with it. Stop downing Whitechurch, it's a grand little spot, if a little tatty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 stephen365

viewed a house in whitechurch today thinking of buying there,like all areas good and bad,affordable for the first-time buyer handy for the m50:mad: if that's a good thing.

Living down the road from it, I see a lot less scum than there used to be around there.

HOWEVER, I would remind folks that the little ****es that were at this: http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1016/bus.html were around not all that long ago - still some bad elements around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rachel08

I've been living in Whitechurch for the last five years, having bought a house there since it was one of the few houses bigger than a matchbox on the southside that we could afford at the time. Thought we'd stay a couple of years and then sell on. To be honest, we've been really happy here and have had no real problems. It's quiet in our area of the estate and I've walked home in the dark many times and felt safe.

The Furry Bog isn't great, still rough, though I've popped in for the odd pint, but wouldn't hang out there and have heard plenty of stories about the Viper etc frequenting. But there are plenty of other good pubs in the area. You do see the odd burnt out car and I've heard joy riders twice in the 5 years. Contrary to earlier posts, the garda presence is really good in those instances. There is a problem with young kids not being supervised and hanging around outside the shops drinking Dutch Gold, a problem you find in a lot of areas, but I get no hassle from them when I walk by. More, it's sad to think that's the extent of their social activities in the area. But defintely some families there are still very poor, and/or are dealing with serious social problems.

On the plus side, there's a good community spirit, it's right at the foot of the Dublin Mountains, so lots of nice walks, lots of nice parks including St Endas and Marley near b The houses are affordable and a great size. The area gets a really bad rap, which I think is mostly unwarranted at this stage. My personal opinion is that some areas in the estate will have more hassle than others, particularly around the shops and pub.

Also, I was pretty annoyed when this happened http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1016/bus.html especially because it was young kids who did it, but to put it in perspective within a couple of weeks of this article, a similar instance happened in UCD and Dublin bus talked about curtailing services to the college (as I recall, neither route was stopped). Basically, the area is by no means perfect but you have to weigh that against the affordability of the houses there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I was talking to my friend about the 15B thing. He told me not to worry about it since a few of the older lads rounded up the young ones and beat the hell out of them since it was more hassle for them to go to pubs or something when the bus route got changed again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 sweetbubbly

Fringe wrote: »
    I was talking to my friend about the 15B thing. He told me not to worry about it since a few of the older lads rounded up the young ones and beat the hell out of them since it was more hassle for them to go to pubs or something when the bus route got changed again.

And if thats not encouragement to buy in Whitechurch I dont know what is....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭garyfoxes

I've lived in Whitechurch all my life and still do!!

Whitechurch is grand... but there is a anti-social problem alright! i live across the road from the furry bog so i hear/see most of it!!

The youngfella's from the estate are grand, a bit mad but grand. Their no different to the majority of youngsters growing up around Dublin. Yes they drink cans around the area, etc but you'll get that kinda thing everywhere.

The Viper is no longer around here! He was only a gob-****e anyway! Joyriding happens on rare occasions and when it does its all over in a couple of minutes.

The Garda pressence is strong in the area, so that might clam your nerves. In my opinion, seen as tho i've lived here all my life, would be to buy a house here. Everything you want is around you, schools, dundrum shopping centre, pubs, banks, etc... its all here.

Whitechurch has nothing more than a bad reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Don't be digging up zombie threads - we know where you live! :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

esel wrote: »
    Don't be digging up zombie threads - we know where you live! :eek:

And you should know better ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement