Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance V's Tax

Options
  • 25-05-2006 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

I have an imported (Jap) car that i'm trying to get insured.

The issue is that the log book has the car as a 1800cc, but the insurance company (Quinn) only recognises a 2500 cc model. Now the quote theyre giving me is still fairly reasonable. I'm 27, full license and full NCD.

My question is if i took the insurance, would i have a problem taxing the car as a 1800cc as the two won't match?? If, say, i was stopped by the gardai would they not think i had incorrect tax disc?

The secon part of the question is this is intended to be a secon car. My other car is also with quinn. Does anyone know if insurance companies take into account that its a second policy or can this be added to my current police as second car, and will that reduce the premium?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

What car is it, and what engine size is it according to the manufacturer?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Try ringing other insurance companies, they may have more options on your car.
    In this country you can only have 1 car per policy and you can't share NCBs. So the second car will basically mean that you are now 27 with full licence and NO NCB, the quote will be fun on the 2500cc car:D :D So the smaller car may be worth your while being used on the second insurance.

As for tax, the revenue only go with the Vechile reg documents and the their is no cc displayed on your Insurance cert

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

What car is it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭setanta5

Its an RX-7. Mazda originally state that its a 1.3, but i have the import documentation that the revenue restated it to 1800 due to the difference in caliberating rotary engines.

I didn't know that about not sharing the NCB's. That sounds a bit odd. Surely the NCB attaches to the driver and not the policy itself!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Nope that is correct, there is 2 engines in the car basically, its taxed as a 1.8 but insured at 2.5!! Pop over to www.manic-motorz.com a few of the lads there own RX-7's and they can shed more light on it for you!! But it is deffo two different rates and you won't get hassle from gardai!!

• Advertisement

setanta5 wrote:
    Its an RX-7. Mazda originally state that its a 1.3, but i have the import documentation that the revenue restated it to 1800 due to the difference in caliberating rotary engines.

I didn't know that about not sharing the NCB's. That sounds a bit odd. Surely the NCB attaches to the driver and not the policy itself!!

YOu caan buy "Personal Insurance" pop on to the site above and ask about that there aswell!! I know its on that site somewhere mate!

"Personal Insurance"??? Whats that?

you can insure any amount of cars you own under the one policy!! As i said pop on to the site above and ask all that in one thread, you will get all your answer there!! Plus I have now been informed you only pay for 1.3 tax so your log book could be wrong mate!!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bspoke

The 1.3 tax is a little bit more complicated jonny. Yes it is technically a 1.3 but die to the power the rotary makes over a piston engine Mazda had to come to a compromise with the government about what to tax it as. Somehow they settled on 1.8

I have heard there is a way to get it classed as 1.3 but cant remember the ins and outs of it. As jonny said ask on Manic-Motorz. There are a few Rx owners over there who will be able to answer your questions better than us

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bspoke wrote:
    The 1.3 tax is a little bit more complicated jonny. Yes it is technically a 1.3 but die to the power the rotary makes over a piston engine Mazda had to come to a compromise with the government about what to tax it as. Somehow they settled on 1.8

I have heard there is a way to get it classed as 1.3 but cant remember the ins and outs of it. As jonny said ask on Manic-Motorz. There are a few Rx owners over there who will be able to answer your questions better than us

Yep, it's a twin wankel unit, with an equivalent displacement of 1.3 litres.

Our beloved Government somehow persuaded Mazda to agree to have it assessed to VRT and road tax as a 1.8.

Bad move Mazda. The car should have been significantly cheaper, and I've little doubt that if challenged legally, this assessment would fail.

• Advertisement

Thanks Johnny. My brothers mate has the exact same model, but his log book says its a 1.3, but his was imported a few years later. Could that have somethign to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bspoke

I wouldnt read too much into what the log book says. There are plenty of Gtr skylines (2.6 TT) down as 2.0 on the log book. If you knowingly insure your car as something it isnt the insurance company will most likely not pay up in the event of an accident. Essentially you will have a very expensive piece of paper in your windscreen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Slinky>

If its bothering you send quinn a photo copy of the log book and get it from them in writing that the car is correctly covered, Gives you some peice of mind in the event of worse case scenareo.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bspoke wrote:
    I wouldnt read too much into what the log book says. There are plenty of Gtr skylines (2.6 TT) down as 2.0 on the log book. If you knowingly insure your car as something it isnt the insurance company will most likely not pay up in the event of an accident. Essentially you will have a very expensive piece of paper in your windscreen

Correct. Same deal for scobes in Glanzas "described as 1.3 on logbook" when they have a turbo and heavy mods.

Their cover is worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

jonny24ie wrote:
    Nope that is correct, there is 2 engines in the car basically, its taxed as a 1.8 but insured at 2.5!! Pop over to www.manic-mototrz.com a few of the lads there own RX-7's and they can shed more light on it for you!! But it is deffo two different rates and you won't get hassle from gardai!!

Can't find that web site the URL doesn't work and no joy with google. is it correct?

sorry i added an extra t!! www.manic-motorz.com

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Correct. Same deal for scobes in Glanzas "described as 1.3 on logbook" when they have a turbo and heavy mods.

Their cover is worthless.

but the Turbo is 1.3

Advertisement