Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Test question

Options
  • 25-05-2006 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭

Does anyone know if you need the car NCT'd to do the driving test.

My grlfriend has her test in a couple of weeks and she didnt notice the NCT was out of date and they never contacted her because of their backlog.

I reckon she should be alright, but shes kind of freakin coz she doesnt want to wait another 8 months!

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

niall mc wrote:
    Does anyone know if you need the car NCT'd to do the driving test.

My grlfriend has her test in a couple of weeks and she didnt notice the NCT was out of date and they never contacted her because of their backlog.

I reckon she should be alright, but shes kind of freakin coz she doesnt want to wait another 8 months!

thanks

According to Oasis:

Rules
    There are a number of things you need to do in preparation for your driving test and a number of legal requirements you must comply with.

You must have a current provisional licence to sit a driving test.
    Current motor tax and insurance discs and an NCT certificate (if applicable) must be displayed on the vehicle you are using.
    L-plates should be displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle.
    The vehicle should be roadworthy, for example all tyres should have a minimum depth of 1.6mm - the legal thread depth limit for tyres in Ireland.
    Everything should be in perfect working order, e.g., windscreen wipers, indicators, mirrors, etc.
    The interior and exterior of your car should be clean.

PS - the NCT are not obliged to contact drivers but they usually do so as a matter of courtesy. It is the responsibility of the car owner to ensure that it has a valid NCT certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'm not sure on this but i'd imagine it's the case...

your car has to be legally allowed on the road to do the test.

and tbh it shouldn't really be up to the NCT to notify you about the expiry of the cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Quote from [url]www.drivingtest.ie:[/url]

Q. Is it necessary to display a National Car Test disc?

A. Yes,on all cars four years and older.It is a legal requirement that the NCT disc is displayed on any car that has undergone the NCT. Your driving test will not be conducted if the NCT disc is not displayed on cars having undergone the NCT.

I'm assuming that you need to display a valid, current one. However, ig you can prove that you are awaiting the NCT i'm sure that would be ok? Ring DoT to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭jamescrombie

needs to have a NCT... maybe she can rent a car from her instructor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭jamescrombie

coolmoose dont think any excuse will work... ie waiting for one..... they say that about the licence you cant just say you are waiting for one... you have to actually have it in your hands, i would assume its the same with the NCT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

I did my test in my own car.

Unfortunately one of the back light bulbs had a habit of becoming lose or something (taking it out & putting it back in fixed it)

Before I started the test, the instructor walked around the car & checked that all was in order. The light wasn't & he wasn;t going to allow me to go to the shop for a bulb (as this isn't fair on other applicants, apparently)

Thankfully taking the bulb out & putting it back in fixed the problem & I was on my way.

He explained that he's not allowed to test in a car that's not 100% legal & roadworthy, so your gf needs the NCT I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

i agree jamescrombie, probably won't get away with it - but NCT have a waiting list, and if she can prove that she has an upcoming test date, maybe that will do? i don't know, it's worth ringing to find out!

renting a driving school car would be a good idea. or go named driver on a friends/parents policy (mightn't cost much to do, will save the 8 month wait!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭niall mc

thanks for the replies

think ill stick her on my car for the test.
    she's not going to be happy though!

Advertisement