Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scrappage or Sell Cheap?

Options
  • 25-05-2006 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

The head gasket on my 93 Golf has gone. I intended to get something new soon anyway and so don't see the point in getting it sorted.

Would it be better to scrap it or offer it dirt cheap for sale. Aside from the gasket it's grand.

Any body know any scrappage places in Kildare or Laois area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

How much would it cost you to do the head gasket? How much would the car be worth afterwards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Mechanic "down the road" reckons if it were to be done "proper proper" skimmed, balanced etc it would be about 400 quid possibly more. He said ye might as well just put a new engine in it.

Not sure what it's value would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

I sold my old car cheap to some young lads, and regretted it badly afterwards. I was kind of under pressure at the time, and just let them have it. It probably ended up burnt out somewhere.
    You'll get loads of lads calling up for a cheap car. I'd scrap it if I had the chance again, or give it to a friend.

Good to know Fits. Thanks for that.
    So anyone know any scrappers in the Kildare or Laois areas then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

If you scrap it you will be lucky if you don't have to pay to dispose of it, if you sell it you will get some money.

If the bodywork and the rest of the car is OK it is a shame to scrap it. Sell it to a guy who will sort it out in his spare time (a lot of mechanics/apprentices/messers like myself enjoy doing this, they make a bit of drinking money, and everyone is happy).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

If its a Mark 3 there should be a big market for parts. Selling it to a breaker might be the best thing to do with it.
    You will have to pay for scrappage, but its better that way than having young lads joyriding or robbing houses with it.
    Just be careful who you sell it to.

Sorry, was I confusing a breakers with a scrappers?

I meant someone that would give me a few quid for it for parts. Aside from the gasket there's not a lot else wrong with it. It got two new tyres and a "backbox" just before the HG went.

Advertisement