Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards possibly the fastest site on the internet

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

But all this will disappear when we get another 30,000 users! :(

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Oh yeah, Pidgin is a temp admin at the moment as he needs certain rights. He's been in the thick of it and as you will have noted the site is a lot faster now, probably removing the need for a new server right at the moment. Boardtracker have been very helpful, going beyond the call of duty to help us out and their search tech has helped enormously.

Victor, we can afford a server every 30k users, thats not a problem, in fact we are hoping for it! Its when we need a new server every 500 that it becomes an issue as thats not self-sustainable! :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Cool!

Just to repeat - all your blood sweat and tears are very much appreciated.

You do realise you are just setting the expectations higher for next time though? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Pidgin wrote:
    We know of several such pages that some of you still access from time to time, such as the subscribed threads list (in case of specific members who are subscribed to many threads)
    Ola

In relation to this comment, I, by default, subscribe to every thread I post in and set it to mail me when someone replies to the thread since my last visit. Does this add a needless strain on the server or is it only when I try and list all my subscriptions that it places a load on the server? I occasionally do this in order to delete subscriptions that I have to "dead" threads.

Thanks

it only extracts the thread data while ignoring any other text on the page.

By thread data do you solely mean the tags or the text of each reply as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

irlrobins wrote:
    Ola

In relation to this comment, I, by default, subscribe to every thread I post in and set it to mail me when someone replies to the thread since my last visit. Does this add a needless strain on the server or is it only when I try and list all my subscriptions that it places a load on the server? I occasionally do this in order to delete subscriptions that I have to "dead" threads.

Thanks

I'd like an answer to this also. Or whether it would be possible to set some kind of time filter to delete subs over a month old or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

irlrobins wrote:
    By thread data do you solely mean the tags or the text of each reply as well?

I'd say the text is the data.

[edit] I would also like to join the cured lepers who came back to say 'Thanks' (for sorting the slowdown).

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

DeVore wrote:
    Oh yeah, Pidgin is a temp admin at the moment as he needs certain rights. He's been in the thick of it and as you will have noted the site is a lot faster now, probably removing the need for a new server right at the moment. Boardtracker have been very helpful, going beyond the call of duty to help us out and their search tech has helped enormously.

Victor, we can afford a server every 30k users, thats not a problem, in fact we are hoping for it! Its when we need a new server every 500 that it becomes an issue as thats not self-sustainable! :)

DeV.

I notice boardtracker are advertising that we are using their service and I seen clouds post on vB.org about it.
    All in all, great service, plus it may bring more users to boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Pidgin

irlrobins wrote:
    Ola

Thanks
    The problem is not subscribing to threads. I think it's a good tool.
    It's just that there is a specific page that shows your latest subscribed threads. This one is designed in an inefficient way, but it could be corrected. We will be advising the boards.ie team about how to do so. I understand it is a very popular feature :)

Pidgin wrote:
    The problem is not subscribing to threads. I think it's a good tool.
    It's just that there is a specific page that shows your latest subscribed threads.
    Phew! Good to know. I don't access the list of subscribed threads often, in fact the only time I do is to delete said subscriptions. Thanks for clearing that point up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Dub13 wrote:
    So you are some "hired help"....its all a bit to kinky for me.
    *funky guitar music plays quietly*

*knock* *knock*

[Bored housewife adjusts negligee and opens door]

Bored housewife: Hello?

[Temporary admin removes cap, youthful locks fall down around his shoulders]: Hi, [slightly shy] I'm hear to fix the server.

BH: Well you'd better come in then. It's this way.

[Shot off BH's bottom moving as she walks towards the server room].

*funky guitar music gets louder*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

"I'm here to fix your database."

"come on in. My, thats a mighty long SQL query you got there...."

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

So the subbed dropdown menu, is that included in the inefficiency also?

Advertisement