Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site In 1 Name Mortgage In 2 Names! Help!

Options
  • 25-05-2006 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭

hi need help! i was gifted a site in my name from my father. therefore it is free from cg tax/acquisitions tax and stamp duty as is from father to son.Now the problem is myself and my girlfriend are approved for a mortgge and before drawdown the iib bank informed us they can not give us the mortgage if site is only in one name. they require it to be in both names however the tax liability would be extreme if i was to do that. does anyone know which banks allow a joint mortgage with only 1 name on site deeds. i know bank of ireland do but i was not approved by them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Anyone got any info on this? OP what did you do in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm told that most solicitors won't touch this arrangement with a barge pole.

I'm guessing that having one person on a mortgage agreement when they have no claim to the site is possibly contestable in court - if you have no equity (i.e. the site), then how can you held for liability on the mortgage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭charlo_b

I was in a similar situation....i.e. Girlfriend was given site.

We applyed for the mortgage in the girlfriends name with me as guarantor, the bank accepted this, on the condition that we transferred it into both names when we got married.

Bank was EBS by the way

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

charlo_b wrote:
    I was in a similar situation....i.e. Girlfriend was given site.

We applyed for the mortgage in the girlfriends name with me as guarantor, the bank accepted this, on the condition that we transferred it into both names when we got married.

Bank was EBS by the way

Sounds fair enough.
    Transferring from one spouse to another would thus not trigger a taxable gain....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

get ur solicitor to draw up a lease agreement to lease the site or part of it to ur girlfriend for the full term of the morgage for a one euro charge -most propertys nowadays are leaseheld and doesnt cause a problem with banks -

if u give her half it has tax implications

or just drop on one knee and make an honest woman of her lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement