Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lily Allen

Options
  • 25-05-2006 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

Hey all..
    Just read an interview with this girl in the Observer Music Monthly and checked out her myspace..

The first tune 'smile' certainly has the sound of summer about it..

What yah all think?

www.myspace.com/lilymusic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

Yeah. She's getting some good press... She's a song LDN that I quite like. I can see her ending up another sideline pop act, like a solo Sugababes tho'. I like her style, the ska-pop thing sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I think she's excellent, LDN is one of the best pop singles I've heard in ages. Saw her singing an acoustic version of it on Jonathon Ross, well worth a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2d7jq97Hn4

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

You little gem. I was hoping someone would get that up on youtube. The album version is good but that acoustic version was superb. Last time I saw something similar was when Amy Winehouse on JR and the song she did was acoustic and superb. Bought the album but I didn't get the same vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I've the album and its quite good, but I have to agree that the acoustic version was much better. Would be interesting to see her live, she certainly has the voice for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I'll acknowledge she has talent, and is a hell of a lot better an artist than a lot of the crap out there but christ her songs are overplayed on the radio, which makes them just plain annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I find her desperately arrogant tbh, just like Amy -Where are you now- Winehouse..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 almv

Laguna wrote:
    I find her desperately arrogant tbh, just like Amy -Where are you now- Winehouse..

Seeming Amy is about to returmn with a CD that is getting rave reviews....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

like her! darren and 2d from drum and bass duo Future Cut did the production and songwriting for about 70% of the album, and they know how to make music...

hope it goes well for her, she's certainly the most interesting "pop" thing i've heard in a while...

"LDN" is very good indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

almv wrote:
    Seeming Amy is about to returmn with a CD that is getting rave reviews....
    Well, I hope it turns out to be big, so she can shove in her oversized gob! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Nightwish wrote:
    I'll acknowledge she has talent, and is a hell of a lot better an artist than a lot of the crap out there but christ her songs are overplayed on the radio, which makes them just plain annoying.
    Thankfully I don't listen to radio (well not "music" stations anyway) - so I'm not sufferring from over-exposure.

Quite enjoying the album, I think its very good - clever lyrics, good melodies. I like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Nightwish wrote:

Terrible reason for calling somebody annoying. As REACTOR has already alluded to its quite easy to switch off the radio and put on a tune you want to listen to. What if Tristania suddenly had a huge radio hit on their hands would you be so quick to denounce them as annoying? Not a chance. There's a whiff of musical snobbery in the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭hallelujah

Pighead wrote:
    Terrible reason for calling somebody annoying. As REACTOR has already alluded to its quite easy to switch off the radio and put on a tune you want to listen to. What if Tristania suddenly had a huge radio hit on their hands would you be so quick to denounce them as annoying? Not a chance. There's a whiff of musical snobbery in the air.

In fairness to Nightwish, he/she said the songs were annoying, not Lily Allen.

*ducks*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Pighead wrote:
    Ahhh... be fair... there's plenty of situations where someone won't necessarily have a choice in what they are listening to. For instance in plenty of shops/cafés they have radio on over the speakers. As much as some people try they may be subjected to environmental exposure to radio.

hallelujah wrote:
    In fairness to Nightwish, he/she said the songs were annoying, not Lily Allen.

*ducks*
    Yeah but by association that would make Lily Allen annoying. I mean people think Pigheads 3rd person talk is extremely annoying. And how do they express this annoyance. They say "Pigheads a twat". Same idea with Lily Allen and her "annoying" songs

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Ahhh... be fair... there's plenty of situations where someone won't necessarily have a choice in what they are listening to. For instance in plenty of shops/cafés they have radio on over the speakers. As much as some people try they may be subjected to environmental exposure to radio.
    Ahhh...be fair... of course you don't have to listen to a song on the radio if you don't want to. Pigheads at work and the radios been on all. What songs have been played? Don't know.Sort of tune out til I hear something that I like and then listen to it. Not listening to the radio is incredibly easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

From what I've heard of her music so far I think it's ok as pop fodder goes.

I was actually interested to see how her interview with Jonathan Ross would go and for some reason I was expecting her to be just as annoying as her twat of a Dad, and fairplay to her she didn't let me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Give the girl a break - the album is refreshing. When you hear half the manufactured crap out there from "Popstar" , "X-Factor" "how to make a boy/girly band" TV shows and then Lily comes along with this fun, chirpy sound and her own sense of style. It's like phew, there are people out there who can make music. "LDN" is the most catchy song and if you've ever lived in London - "it makes you smile" just to hear the words. I missed the Jonathan Ross interview last Friday so not sure how she came across - but she's young and in time she'll learn how to twist the media, in the same way they like to twist others. So just enjoy the album for what it is! Entertainment!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

its not a bad song, not really my cup of tea tbh & i think she might just be a bit of a flash in the pan type. I watched her on Johnathon Ross & I must say she didn't do herself any favours at all. she did come across as quite rude, arrogant & spoilt, and the fact that her interview was considerable shorter than the others & fairly abruptly stopped by Ross said it all really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

BaZmO* wrote:
    I was expecting her to be just as annoying as her twat of a Dad

who is that then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭podgewalsh

Her Dad is the actor Keith Allen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Fat Les of Vindaloo 'fame'

She is mediocre MIA, Lady Sov and especially Shystie kick her arse but they don't have rich dads.

She hasn't even the grace to admit that being rich helped her career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Budd

Where do you start with Lily Allen? I think this review says it better than I'm ever going to.
    http://www.stylusmagazine.com/reviews/lily-allen/alright-still.htm

She does this working class street bull**** and people just lap it up. The video to that Smile track is jsut so offensive. You're not that pretty Lily and please do us all a favour and close your mouth for your press shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Yeah actually that review is spot on. I hate Lily Allen, well actually I don't "hate" her, I nothing her. She is run of the mill contrived manufactured pop at it's worst in that she won't admit to being or doesn't realise that she is run of the mill contrived manufactured pop, at least Britney Spears knows shes nothing more than a pop singer. I'm sure someones going to protest "but she writes her own songs", well no she doesn't write her own songs. She co-writes crap lyrics that desperately try to convince people that shes "street" and then slaps them over ruined samples, other peoples melodies and boring heard it a thousand time beats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Pighead wrote:
    I cant turn off the radio. Theres 7 other people in my office who seem to think Today FM is a good radio station, so I have to put up. I didnt mind Lily Allen when Smile was released, but there is such a thing as over-exposure, which the aforementioned radio station is guilty of many times over with many artists, not just Lily.

And believe me Pighead, I'd fcuking love it if Tristania had a massive radio hit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

My wife loves the album and made me download it for her.

Although I'd rather somebody like her have some success than a lot of other pop acts; I still can't help that she's gets on my wick a bit.

All those self conscious chavvy lahndan-isms and that vanilla faux-reggae sound.

I'm coming to the conclusion that she's probably just Mike Skinner in drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

stovelid wrote:
    I'm coming to the conclusion that she's probably just Mike Skinner in drag.

Genius.

Lilly Allen is middle class trying to be a chav. Oh and her music is crap.

I hated her singing live on Jonathan Ross, her breaths were so loud and annoying, give her singing lessons FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

slipss wrote:
    I hate Lily Allen, well actually I don't "hate" her, I nothing her.

seconded!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Morf wrote:
    Genius.

Lilly Allen is middle class trying to be a chav. Oh and her music is crap.

I hated her singing live on Jonathan Ross, her breaths were so loud and annoying, give her singing lessons FFS.

I don't think she's trying to be a 'chav'. However, you are trying (and succeeding) in being a jerk. Congratulations ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

that song alfie from her album is not too bad , catchy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,898 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Advertisement