Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q about Architecture course

Options
  • 25-05-2006 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭

I am studying Interior Architecture and would like to see the difference in this and an Architecture course. Can an Architecture student please tell me exactly what you learn in the course? Thank you very much.

The course is taught by architects.
    I have just finished 1st year, and this is what we undertook for the year:

Interior Design Projects - 4 projects throughout the year
    1st project - Visual Anaysis of 3 commercial buidings: an art gallery, a pub/cafe and a retail unit. 3 weeks duration and analysing the space and form of the interiors using media of our choice
    2nd project - Student capsule - we had to design a house to fit between the gap of 2 buildings (1.2 m wide). The client was ourselves. (4-5 week duration)
    3rd project - Architect's Atelier - we had to research an architect and design a house for them using 4 shipping containers. We also had to pick a site and do a site profile. (8 weeks duration)
    4th project - Diner at the end of the galaxy. We were each given a piece of music and a shape (cube, sphere, truncated cone, cylinder) and had to design a diner based on this piece of music. We had to research all the aspects of commercial designing, ergonomics, etc. (6-8 weeks duration)

The projects required a lot of drawings

Graphic Communications - 50% technical drawing, 50% AutoCAD
    Model-making
    Design Theory
    Cultural Studies - hstory of architecture
    Maths - maths and applied maths
    Technology - Building Construction
    IT - waste of time, office applications, internet, some programming

It's a really time-consuming course. We are in the studio til 10 most nights. I find my weekends are also full of project work and research.
    And it's not an easy course just because it's in an IT (not DIT), there is a high drop out rate and the tutors are quite selective about who they let into 2nd year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭cinnamon

anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

I don't think there's architects knocking about these boards........ What I can tell you is that 1st years say they don't do a tap for 2 weeks, and then would have a week of really hard up all night type work, though I've no idea what kind of projects it is that they do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭cinnamon

dajaffa wrote:
    I don't think there's architects knocking about these boards........ What I can tell you is that 1st years say they don't do a tap for 2 weeks, and then would have a week of really hard up all night type work, though I've no idea what kind of projects it is that they do

hi dajaffa, thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm a mature student and when I was first in college, I did that. Now that I'm more "mature" I try to work consistently but I still do all-nighters. I suppose my problem is time management. Seem to spend ages on someting and not have much to show for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I have nothing to say actually but I do know the UCD.ie website and the department provide all the information you need!

Advertisement