Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much did your current car cost? (if applicable)

Options
  • 25-05-2006 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

I've generally only ever spent €5-6k on my cars as I don't see the point in investing big money in something that can be done for way way cheaper.

However, I'm now considering spending more, though don't really want to...

So, I was wondering am I the norm or am I tight when it comes to paying for a car.:D

So, how much did your cost?????

How much did your current car cost? 77 votes

less than €1000
    0% 0 votes
    less than €2000
    10% 8 votes
    less than €3000
    6% 5 votes
    less than €5000
    10% 8 votes
    less than €7000
    15% 12 votes
    less than €9000
    15% 12 votes
    less than €11000
    11% 9 votes
    less than €13000
    9% 7 votes
    less than €15000
    15% 12 votes
    more than €15000
    5% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

well i bought my corolla two years ago OOreg for 9,100 with 30k on the clock. it may sound a bit dear but iv never had a problem with the toyota and i would pay bigger money again for the reliablility and peace of mind that i know(!) it will start when i sit into it and doesnt really cause me any probs. in contrast with that a buddy of mine bought a fiat punto a year before me with similar milage etc for 6k or somethinga about that and it has been nothing but trouble head gasket went twice along with a myriad of other problems. now maybe they just got unlucky but give me a reliable brand for that little bit extra. just an opinion although a lot of those newer asian branded cars all seem to be fairly okish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Bought my car two years ago this June for 6900e Its a 99 Opel Astra with 86.5k miles, it had 54k miles when I bought it.

Still going strong dont think ill ever sell it. Feels like it could do another 80k miles no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bspoke

I paid just short of 20,000 for my 01 Hyundai Santa fe. Cant remember how many miles were on it but there was in or around 50k. Seems high but it did come with a full service history so that gave me a little bit of reassurance.
    just an opinion although a lot of those newer asian branded cars all seem to be fairly okish

*puts on nerdy Hyundai lover hat*

Not too long ago Toyota approached Hyundai with a view to sharing tecnologies. Toyota obviously saw something that impressed them and what with Toyota being the most reliable make in the world Hyundai would definitely accept their generous offer.

Wrong!!! Hyundai kindly told the to f**k off. heheh

Not too long ago korean cars were regarded as a joke. Their cars were ugly and they had absolutely no reliability. All that has changed now though. They are slowly catching up on the japanese manufacturers and will continue on until they achive their plan of world domination muhahahah

Dont forget it was only twenty or so years ago that Japanese cars were a laughing stock. Now the Toyota camry is the best selling car in the states and has been for the last four years

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Will you stop Hyundai is still a Joke :p

Ah I paid 8200 for a 01 Corolla a year ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

11k for an 2003 Focus TDCi in Jan this year.

• Advertisement

no i agree with him i heard something similar but im still old fashioned and id prefer to stick with toyota for the moment. something similar if you asked me 10 years ago would i buy a skoda NO WAY! but now if i was buying id seriously consider buying an octavia before a passat even though they are the same car. so perhaps in 10 years time if im still on boards and my corolla is gone to car heaven i mite be driving a hyundi!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bspoke

Ah shut up jonny you're just jealous! At least I stand out in our croud you just blend into the background:p

Soory for my Hyundai loving post but its not often I get to use my Toyota/Hyundai story.

A few years back i wouldnt have touched a Hyundai but as soon as the missus fell in love with the Santy I had to accpet it. I have owned it just over a year now and have not had any major problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

35k for a Passat TDI in Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo - 8000 eu. 2 years ago
    1991 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo - 8000 eu. last year.
    1979 Porsche 911 sc - 16000 eu. 4 years ago.
    leastone Formula Vee - 6500 eu. 4 years ago.
    leastone Formula vee - 6500 eu. 3 years ago.
    Leastone Formula 5 - 14000 eu. Now.

All are current. First 3 are road cars, second 3 are race cars.. no house though.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Mike2006 wrote:
    35k for a Passat TDI in Jan

1.9 or 2.0?

• Advertisement

Kersh wrote:
    All are current. First 3 are road cars, second 3 are race cars.. no house though.. :(

glad to see the prioraties are in the right place :D

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Went for the 1.9 Sportline with a few extras.

2.0 would have cost about 5 grand extra. Would have got the DSG gearbox if it was available on the 1.9 but it was not.

Damn right, im scared to get a mortgage in case I leg it with the dough and return with an Enzo... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Kersh wrote:
    Damn right, im scared to get a mortgage in case I leg it with the dough and return with an Enzo... :D

:D:D:D

(Boys & their toys!!!)

Sure its more fun this way, rent is half the price of a mortgage, and I get to have nice cars, and race too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Paid around €29k including my old car for my Avensis just over 3 years ago. Would have changed it this year but I am moving house later this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

€2k for a '95 Carina E, 2 years ago
    I'm not too worried about depreciation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭v-deniso

Paid €5500 for a 98 Golf 1.4 Base with 55000 Miles on the clock.

Have replaced the timing belt and had it serviced too, had no issues to report at all. Nice Solid tight car.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Far too much:o

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

I paid 9,700euro for my 1997 Toyota Levin in June last year! might sound steep but i had wanted one for ages and loved the look of it! The asking price at the time was 10,950euro so i was reasonably pleased with what i paid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Paid 7 grand 3 years ago for a 96' jap camry,2.2 turbo diesel, auto, ac,and all electric, with 40K miles on the clock, seemed expensive but it's been ultra reliable, except for the AC going.I'd buy another in a heartbeat but their getting rare now, they stopped making my model in 98' I beleive and Japs aren't fond of diesel so diesel camry imports cant be got now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

MX-5 1,8i 1998 - bought in Feb 2001 for £14k (minus 4k in part-ex for the Brava, so £10k really), at 14k on clock from the first (doctor) lady owner.

Subary Impreza 2.0L Sport - bought in March 2004 for £3k with 59k on clock.

Can't see myself *ever*getting rid of the '5, and the Scoob I'll probably change in 2-3 years' time (should be about 100k on clock), for another one(maybe Turbo/WRX), again no more than £3-4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I paid 11k plus my old Fiesta for my '02 Hyundai Coupe. I love it, despite it not exactly setting the road on fire ;)

johnny24ie: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

ambro25 wrote:
    MX-5 1,8i 1998 - bought in Feb 2001 for £14k (minus 4k in part-ex for the Brava, so £10k really), at 14k on clock from the first (doctor) lady owner.

Subary Impreza 2.0L Sport - bought in March 2004 for £3k with 59k on clock.

Can't see myself *ever*getting rid of the '5, and the Scoob I'll probably change in 2-3 years' time (should be about 100k on clock), for another one(maybe Turbo/WRX), again no more than £3-4k.

Which is the better drive Ambro, (although your answer is probalby in your last post)
    I have had both too, though not at the same time.

'97 MX5 1.8iS Uk import €7k.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I paid IR£15500 for my VW Bora (Comfortline) in 2000. Wife drives it now as I have a company car (A4 1.9 TDI):D I still drive the Bora sometimes as its got a 1kW stereo in it (additional to the IR£15500).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

10.5K for a 99 GTI Golf with FSH and 52K miles last may, had timing belt and all done for that price, was well chuffed as Bradys in Castleknock and Foster were both looking for 13.5K for 99 GTI's with 80K+ miles. Personally a car is worth whatever you are prepared to pay for it, dont see myself ever buying a brand new car even though i can afford it as the depreciation is just too much to live with, and modern cars will last for years and years if looked after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

1800 for me baby barge.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paraicr

currently carless:( .
    Sold my 98 lancer yesterday for €3700, after buying it 14months ago for €3400.
    Good business, but miss it already!!:( :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Bought my Micra from my uncle for €200, and two years later and 10,000 miles, it's still going strong.

Got a good bargain:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Mine didn't cost that much to buy but costs a fortune to run. Will be worth zilch if/when I sell it on too. The purchase price is only a small part of the cost.

Advertisement