Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Type-R's

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

DubNside wrote:
    M3 for 12.5k! maybe a 92 model!!?

I'd expect to get a decent '96 M3 for that kinda money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭DubNside

unkel wrote:
    I'd expect to get a decent '96 M3 for that kinda money

Theres v few available, seen a 95 for €11.5k

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=427795

DubNside wrote:
    Theres v few available

You're right there. UK import is a good alternative. Just checked OMSP is €8.8k and VRT is €2.6k on a '96 M3 Evolution 3.2 so pretty reasonable

STATISTICAL CODE: 40885292
    MAKE: BMW
    MODEL: M3
    VERSION: E36 EVOLUTION 02DR / SPORTS COUPE (NON-CONVERTIBLE) / MANUAL / PETROL ONLY /
    MILEAGE: 80000 MILES

The information requested in respect of the vehicle shown is indicated below.
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION(MM/YY): JANUARY 1996
    OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE:
    (applicable on enquiry date) €8762
    RATE OF TAX: 30.0%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €2628

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Ohh, that M3 is a lot of car for the money!

/calls bank manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

That '96 Civic looks immaculate. No offence, but €12.5k for a 10 year old small family hatch is just plain silly imho. And it's white
    Such a thing to say! Its not just a white old small family hatch, its a 2dr civic TYPE R. You dont buy one of these for your family. Most people driving them wouldnt even have a family. And all(majority) type R`s are white, its their trademark. Its a class colour of white for class cars.

My friend has an ITR 96model and its just sheer class. The look of it i nstandard is class with the big spoiler and its fast as fook. Anyone that doesnt like Type R`s isnt into cars.

Honda arent making the cars it used to, civics/integras/crx`s/preludes anymore. Are they still making a 1.6Integra, is there a 2006 one or are they just making type R Dc5`s now?
    If you want to experience these cars, now is the time cause they wont be around in a few years as abundant they are now. You only live once, buy a Type R if yo u can afford it.You can always sell it i na year. All hondas of this era are bulletproof, quite a reputation considering the power they produce. Power/reliability and some economy, pity more manufacturers cant follow suit.

Financially i agree 12,500 is too much for even a 1996 CTR but you`ll get one under 10 if you look. 96ITR`s are making around 10,000. The civics of the same year seem to make more money.

Go to the importers on the cruiseirl.com site, Gt-central will get you a decent Civic type R for decent price and service.

• Advertisement

Nuttzy wrote:
    Such a thing to say!

Ok, to the Honda fans my comments might have looked a bit blasphemous. Apologies!

My point still stands though that why the hell would you get a 1.6 Civic Type-R if you can run a 3.2 M3 Evo for similar money?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote:
    Ok, to the Honda fans my comments might have looked a bit blasphemous. Apologies!

My point still stands though that why the hell would you get a 1.6 Civic Type-R if you can run a 3.2 M3 Evo for similar money?

Unkel, most young people that would be looking at the Civic 1.6 Type R may not be able to afford the insurance on a 3.2 litre M3 or the high road tax and fuel bills. While the Civic Type R 1.6 generally may not have the flat out performance of an M3, it is relatively cheap to put on the road, cheap to maintain and very easy to modify.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nuttzy wrote:
    And all(majority) type R`s are white, its their trademark. Its a class colour of white for class cars.
    Personally I prefer them in black or red(both civic and integra). Whites a bit obvious. You an even get em in yellow or silver(rare as rocking horse droppings though)
    My friend has an ITR 96model and its just sheer class.
    I've a 98 one and class in the looks dept is not a word I'd use tbh. It's not too tacky though in standard trim. Fiddle with it too much though and it'll look like a right lemon.
    Anyone that doesnt like Type R`s isnt into cars.
    Agree with you there. Even if you don't like them per se, they should be appreciated for the engine technology alone. The engine makes anything alfa have ever even dreamed of, look like the wrong end of the tractor market.
    Honda arent making the cars it used to, civics/integras/crx`s/preludes anymore.
    Nail on the head there.
    If you want to experience these cars, now is the time cause they wont be around in a few years as abundant they are now.
    Very true, They'll all too soon end up over modified and screwed up by the boy racer brigade as their price drops. That said the price has actually been going up recently in Japan, espesially for the rarer colours.
    Financially i agree 12,500 is too much for even a 1996 CTR but you`ll get one under 10 if you look. 96ITR`s are making around 10,000. The civics of the same year seem to make more money.
    I wouldn't go near a 96 type r for that kind of money unless it was seriously tricked out or a rare colour. That's mad money. Here's a nice one for much less http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=429538 Lots of nice oily bits and he has the original auction grade 4.5(which is very high). Do not buy without an auction report. It will at the very least have been clocked. Many dealers are asking that now because the VRT on these cars has gone through the roof. I got mine 4 months ago. If I'd waited I'd have had to pay a further 1000 odd quid. Robbin bstards. Put it this way, do yourself a favour and bring it in yourself. Put it another way I got my 98(auction grade 4.5, 30,000 actual mileage) for just over 10,000 fully paid up.
    Gt-central will get you a decent Civic type R for decent price and service.
    Do they give you the auction report?
    unkel wrote:
    I get your point. They're two different beasts and for that money I'd prefer a good civic(well teg tbh) than a possibly dodgy beemer. I've driven and owned many cars in my all too long driving career and I personally would prefer the Integra to the BMW. For the moment anyway. I've quite a few rabid beemer owning friends(M5 and M3 as well as lesser models) and each one of them has a grin on his face two minutes after opening up the throttle on my jalopy. That said none of them would like to live with it on a daily basis as it is a bit raw for most. The unwelcome atentions of the baseball wearing brigade doesn't help either. From an economic side there's no contest. It's so much cheaper to own.
    bazz26 wrote:
    While the Civic Type R 1.6 generally may not have the flat out performance of an M3, it is relatively cheap to put on the road, cheap to maintain and very easy to modify
    Yep, but they're not so cheap or easy to modify at all. As the engine is already in a high state of tune "out of the box", any further gains will cost big bucks. Slappin an airfilter on it will do sweet F all. Anyone who reckons they got big gains with sparkplugs, a loud exhaust and airfilter is talking without recourse to their mouth.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

bazz26 wrote:
    Unkel, most young people that would be looking at the Civic 1.6 Type R may not be able to afford the insurance on a 3.2 litre M3 or the high road tax and fuel bills

How do you define young? Even for a 23 year old with full license and 5 years NCB, insuring the Civic would still be very expensive, dwarfing tax and petrol costs into insignificance. But I grant you, a young person might opt to pay €5k to insure the Civic, where he/she can not get any quote on an M3
    Wibbs wrote:
    I've quite a few rabid beemer owning friends(M5 and M3 as well as lesser models) and each one of them has a grin on his face two minutes after opening up the throttle on my jalopy. That said none of them would like to live with it on a daily basis as it is a bit raw for most

This is it. I admire the technology of Honda type-R engines but I can't see much practical use for them in day-to-day driving in Ireland. Type-Rs belong on the race track :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

unkel wrote:
    This is it. I admire the technology of Honda type-R engines but I can't see much practical use for them in day-to-day driving in Ireland. Type-Rs belong on the race track :)
    Yep. For a start they're noisy and I've a bog standard Honda exhaust on mine. Absolutely no sound proofing at all God knows why you would put a loud exhasut on one. You would be wearing an ear trumpet in no time. I must be getting old.

Then again that noise, etc will likely save me and my license, as you actually get a feel for how fast you're going. It makes me slow down weirdly enough. You get a feeling how fast 80 mph actually is. You're not insulated form the road like in so many cars nowadays. I reckon taking the soundproofing out of all cars might slow people down.... :D

The seats are v nice. the gearshift, steering, roadholding etc is by far the best of any front driver I've ever experienced. No if buts or maybes. On the bendy bits you can frighten the bejasus out of far far more powerful cars.

I'll say one thing for them(and this is how I know I'm getting old :D ), due to the engine work done to them, the petrol consumption is very very good all things considered. I get damn near 40 MPG out of mine. Now that of course is without the old VTEC kicking in. If you've a heavy right foot and drive in a "sprited" fashion, the car turns into a mechanically organised petrol leak.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

This is it. I admire the technology of Honda type-R engines but I can't see much practical use for them in day-to-day driving in Ireland. Type-Rs belong on the race track
    Are you a nerd? This thread is about the joys of Honda Type R`s, if you have no interest in them or are poor and cant afford 1 weeks running of them why do you keep posting with retarded statements like they`re impractable? If they`re impractable for whatever your needs are just dont buy one. Have you ever owned a Type R? Or been in one. Or do any of your friends have them or do ye all drive little family wagons.

Wibbs wrote:
    I get damn near 40 MPG out of mine

That's excellent
    Wibbs wrote:
    Now that of course is without the old VTEC kicking in. If you've a heavy right foot and drive in a "sprited" fashion, the car turns into a mechanically organised petrol leak.

LOL. I get just over 20MPG out of mine with a light right foot. Driving it hard would get me into the single figures :eek:
    Nuttzy wrote:
    Are you a nerd?

Is that a compliment? ;)
    Nuttzy wrote:
    This thread is about the joys of Honda Type R`s

Nope, this thread is about discussing are type-Rs worth it. See OP
    Nuttzy wrote:
    why do you keep posting with retarded statements like they`re impractable?

Eh? :confused:

Wibbs (who owns one and seems quite knowledgeable about them) agrees with me about that very point there ^^

So your obvious lack of arguments leads you to resort to calling me names?
    Nuttzy wrote:
    If they`re impractable for whatever your needs are just dont buy one

The OP is asking if they are worth it - my comment is directly related to that
    Nuttzy wrote:
    Have you ever owned a Type R? Or been in one

No and yes
    Nuttzy wrote:
    Or do any of your friends have them or do ye all drive little family wagons.

What have my friends to do with this? Speaking for myself, no I don't drive a little family wagon. It would be far cheaper for me to own and run a '96 Civic Type-R than to run my own '96 car...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

DubNside wrote:
    Anyone have advice/expierience with Honda Type-R's, i.e Civic's and Integra's?

I have been looking at 97 and 98's of both models, but the average price appears to be about €11,000! A lot for a car of that year. Although I mean of course i know they come with 170-210BHP and look great but, are they worth it?

In terms of 1. Insurance 2.Value 3. Resale Value 4.Reliabilty/Servicing?

integras are better value, there is good few of them for sale and you get lots of car for the money. I was looking for one few weeks ago and there was 180 type r's on cbg.ie. Civic's are overpriced due to boy racers demand and false view that 1.6 is much cheaper to insure.

resale value :rolleyes: don't put lots of things on the car , you will never get your money back

Reliabilty/Servicing well, it;s a honda and servicing costs are normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭DubNside

Seen a 97 Vti for around 7k, irish car, fsh, nct'd.

Might not be bad if you add: new Exhaust system/manifold, Induction kit, Chipped...

I've had one before and they seem to be more driveable, as in you dont have to rally them to get a decent performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Wibbs wrote:
    I get damn near 40 MPG out of mine. Now that of course is without the old VTEC kicking in.

thats unreal, are you sure your not b*llsh*tin a little bit? I struggle to get 20mpg driving round town in my car with similar bhp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

ando wrote:
    thats unreal, are you sure your not b*llsh*tin a little bit? I struggle to get 20mpg driving round town in my car with similar bhp

Sure there's no bloody power in them until that mad V Tec place that you hear about is reached, 40 mpg is probably quite possible !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Big Balls wrote:
    Sure there's no bloody power in them until that mad V Tec place that you hear about is reached, 40 mpg is probably quite possible !!

Yeah - I've a 1.6 VTi and I get 40 mpg on long runs as well IF I stay out of the VTEC band. Into VTEC and I'll get anywhere from 24 mpg to 30 mpg.

As Big Balls says there's a power flat spot until about 4k RPM and then at 5.5K all hell breaks loose! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

jayok wrote:
    Yeah - I've a 1.6 VTi and I get 40 mpg on long runs as well IF I stay out of the VTEC band. Into VTEC and I'll get anywhere from 24 mpg to 30 mpg.

Ive a Vti too and at city driving but with the odd bit of vtec i get 25/30 mpg from it.If you keep at vtec you can literally see the petrol needle dropping onfront of you!

I find mines ashmathic and fairly flat from 3k to 5.5,most power seems to be in around 6/6.5 and over 7 it doesnt seem as if its still pulling anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

eireal wrote:
    Ive a Vti too and at city driving but with the odd bit of vtec i get 25/30 mpg from it.If you keep at vtec you can literally see the petrol needle dropping onfront of you!

I find mines ashmathic and fairly flat from 3k to 5.5,most power seems to be in around 6/6.5 and over 7 it doesnt seem as if its still pulling anymore

[OT] Must be the gauges in he car, mine definately is out of its flat-spot by 4k and will keep going until 7.5k.

As for MPG I'd get 24 MPG only in city driving with the A/C on... so you must live in the power band! :p
    [/OT]

Back to the OPs question. Are the worth it? Maybe - it depends what you want from life. I have to agree that some are vastly overpriced (i.e. 12k for a 96) but for 7-8k for a decent VTi you'll have a grin from ear-to-ear. Yes you can buy an M3 for less money and get "more" car. But it isn't always about power, it's about the experience. That's what Honda's Type-R philisophy is about. Not the fastest, or quickest, but the best experience.

I have driven many cars but the whole "experience" of a high-rpm VTEC engine engaging the power band as it takes a big glup will make any adult giddy.

I maybe married with offspring - but I ain't dead yet! :D

unkel wrote:
    Eh? :confused:

Wibbs (who owns one and seems quite knowledgeable about them) agrees with me about that very point there ^^
    Ay thankyew :). To be fair they're quite practical in that they're frugal on juice(with caveats), they've pretty good bootspace, hatchback an' all that(especially compared to some "practical" cars), four seats(two sweeet Recaros), excellent driving position and have reliabilty stats that mean that there will likely be the throb of a VTEC heard in the dark of a dying earth when the sun has died to lifeless cinder. In fact if God wanted a car to drive around in for work purposes the next few millenia, he'd likely conjur up a Honda(or a Hi lux).

The impracticality would mainly be down to the noise and harshness levels. That said, you get used to it and it's not that loud at all on the standard exhaust/air intake/suspension. Most out there have dustbins out the back, "hi power" airfilters and lowered, "upgraded" suspension, so many people get their experience of the breed with those modifications.

ando wrote:
    Nope, it honestly gets in the high 30's on a long run. I've studied it(need more hobbies obviously). 'Round town, I'm getting around the 30 mark. Hard driving? I'd be reckoning on 20 if I'm lucky(hard to judge). An average all around consumption figure would be in the mid to late 20's. Unreal given the power output. Then again a highly tuned NA engine(witha higher piston speed than a F1 engine :D glee :D ), such as that fitted to the type r is significantly more efficient than a bog standard engine. I know this as I ran a standard 1.8 vtec teg for a few years and it wasn't as good. Also mine is even more lightweight than the standard type R as it came with no ABS, airbags, rear wiper, rear hi brake light or radio as standard(have the original sale docs in japanese). That's gotta be worth a few kilos anyway. :) Compare that to the standard SIR on which it's based. ABS SRS, wipers, thicker glass, Soundproofing, sunroofs, ect etc, you can see where a large part of both the performance and the fuel consumption comes from.
    Big Balls wrote:
    Well its certainly delivered in a different way to a bigger engine with the same grunt. It's torquey enough though, especially the later 98 spec on type. Mine has very little of a flat spot too, compared to others I've tried(quite a few). The civic seems to have a quite pronounced flat spot, which was one of the reasons I avoided it. The JDM post 98 one seems to have gotten it right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement