Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drink Driving - Ever done it?

Options
  • 25-05-2006 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭

Following on from the other topic on drink driving (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054936735) I am just wondering how many people have driven after consuming alcohol at least once in their life and how much you consumed.

Have you EVER driven after consuming alcohol? 71 votes

No, never in my entire life
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, after 1 drink
    56% 40 votes
    Yes, after 2 drinks
    22% 16 votes
    Yes, after 3 drinks
    18% 13 votes
    Yes, after 4 or more drinks
    2% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Jood

Ive driven after having one drink with dinner but never anymore than one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

I regularly drive after having between2-3 cans. I try and give myself and hour without drink to keep it legal but I've a feeling its probably still over our tight limits.

Have driven properly drunk a few times, mind. Its not as dangerous as people think. It just increases the likelihood of something going wrong if I need to take evasive action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

I am a non drinker, so I have never had a drink, let alone drink and drive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

I would say alot of peole have had 4+ drinks and drove once or twice.

Everybody makes mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Yes, quite often after 1 drink.
    I think once ever after 2, but I'd never dream of driving with any more than that.

Just not worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bspoke

Ordinarily I wouldnt but I had to drive on night after I had one drink while watching a film. I was petrified - an experience never to be repeated - thats what wifes are there for

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Chief--- wrote:
    I would say alot of peole have had 4+ drinks and drove once or twice.

Everybody makes mistakes.

Driving after 4+ drinks is not a "mistake", its being a complete pr1ck with no regard for the lives of other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Once - with wayyy more than 4 (which is why I'll not vote :D ).

13 years ago, if memory serves. I remember it like it was yesterday, all the same. Never, ever, ever again (and no I didn't crash or injure or even remotely scare anyone - but it's a good job the Motorway was 3-lanes wide, put it that way :o ).

Anyone who says 'never' either (a) hasn't been driving long at all or (b) is lying. As for '1 is alright but never more than...' - that just joins in the "3's alright for him he's 190 pound, only 1 for me as I'm 120 wet-through" debate: you do, or you don't, period.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

ambro25 wrote:
    Anyone who says 'never' either (a) hasn't been driving long at all or (b) is lying.

You're wrong there buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Doolittle51

base2 wrote:
    Have driven properly drunk a few times, mind. Its not as dangerous as people think.

base2 wrote:
    It just increases the likelihood of something going wrong if I need to take evasive action.

Therfore it IS dangerous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

ambro25 wrote:
    Anyone who says 'never' either (a) hasn't been driving long at all or (b) is lying.

you're wrong. i started driving motorbike at 16, car at 17, and since the day i sat on that bike, i've never had a drink and drove. and that's 6 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

ambro25 wrote:
    Anyone who says 'never' either (a) hasn't been driving long at all or (b) is lying. As for '1 is alright but never more than...' - that just joins in the "3's alright for him he's 190 pound, only 1 for me as I'm 120 wet-through" debate: you do, or you don't, period.

I've been driving 5 years, since I was 17 and i've never even driven after one drink, if i'm drinking at all i make sure i have a lift home, its really very easy to organise there's no excuse for drinking and driving at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I don't drink anymore and am ashamed at my drink/drive behaviour - I should have been banned but was never caught. I don't condone any level of drinking and driving and support the introduction of zero tolerance policies. If you think it is ok to drink and drive, you are wrong and the evidence is there to show how dangerous it is. Luckily I survived my own stupidity.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

I've been driving over 5 years and am a non-drinker so I've never had the experience or had the need to find out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I've driven with 4 pints on me before. Wouldn't make a habit of it.

I have however drank copius amounts of alcohol before and cycled a bicycle, ah, the wonders of my youth!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Max_Damage wrote:
    I've driven with 4 pints on me before. Wouldn't make a habit of it.

I have however drank copius amounts of alcohol before and cycled a bicycle, ah, the wonders of my youth!

well its alot less likely you'll do damage to anyone else when your on a bicycle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't drink except at Xmas and thats just the odd half of cider.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

have never had more than 1 and drove, can be a bit of a bitch having to nurse a pint

actually shocked and abhored at the people drinking 4 pints and driving

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I drove while really wrecked a few times. Wouldn't have done it unless I was (no excuse).
    But that was 10 yrs ago and it was less evidently a problem.

No more, never.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

Have driven home when I was drunk once Hated myself since for doing something so stupid so won't do that again

• Advertisement

ambro25 wrote:

Don't agree with you there Ambro. I know a number of people who have never done it, and why would somebody lie in an annonymous poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

base2 wrote:
    I regularly drive after having between2-3 cans. I try and give myself and hour without drink to keep it legal but I've a feeling its probably still over our tight limits.

Have driven properly drunk a few times, mind. Its not as dangerous as people think. It just increases the likelihood of something going wrong if I need to take evasive action.
    you pig ignorant shamless excuse for a human being,do you know what you are saying,the average human body takes 1 hour to process 1 unit of alchol

the average can contains 2.5 units of booze so for 3 cans you would need 8 hours to be legally under the limit but the process slows down the more you drink

it someone like you who nearly killed me and my pregnant wife last night and took another 4-5 cars with that also

think about it thats 3 lives and two families ruined because of people like you

if this rant or attack gets me banned so be it but anyone you acts like you should be killed on the road i wont cry

can anyone else see that those answering dont do it or not anymore its the ones that do drink and drive are too ashamed to answer the question because they know they will do it again and again

As for your reactions even your response to the person in front braking at an "average" rate slows so it takes you longer to apply your brakes and your cars slows at a reduced rate so feck that "evasive action"

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

hear hear gerrycollins!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

about 10 years ago i fell asleep behind the wheel about 100 yards from home after driving for about 3 miles, i hit atree nearly killed my brother and myself and i wrote off my car that i only had 2 months iwas paying off that loan for five years and no car
    that night really made me cop on to myself about how lucky i was not to have killed anyone that night i wouldnt drive now even if i only had one pint its not worth it i mean you can get a taxi home now for the price of two pints and i live in rural area

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

If I had one drink at 10am I still wouldn't drive at 10pm. As soon as you start driving on the day it just becomes a question of hours and it's really just not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

i think it is all relative. one person could fail a breathalyser test after one pint yet another might register under the limit after four. I remember trying a breathalyser installed in a pub afterthree pints and I was under the limit - just about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Years ago I would have thought nothing of driving after a pint (one). At the same time, the lads at work would have 6 or 7 and then drive home on a Friday evening. That kinda brought it home to me, I wouldn't even consider having even the one now if I had the car with me.

I'd be all for zero-tolerance with drink-driving.

Or else join the Jim McDaid School of Motoring and do it properly - abolish the road rules altogether if drink has been taken ;-)

The one area which I think gets overlooked sometimes is the next morning.

If someone had 8 drinks on a work night out, arrived home at 3am, and slept for five hours. If they drove to work at 8am, although they may not feel intoxicated, would they be over the legal limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Sometimes after one drink, two drinks max depending on how im feeling. Usually 2 hours or so after the last drink and nearly always with food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Done it once about six years ago after a night out, at about five o'clock in the morning. So it was more than four drinks. Spent three hours trying to get a taxi home, and eventually gave up and took the car. Although there was no way I'd pass a breathalyser, I certainly wouldn't have attempted it when I first came out of the nightclub. Never done it since.

Advertisement