Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A reason to go to Cork?

Options
  • 25-05-2006 3:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Now we all know Dublin is the centre of the universe but as a Dub I cannot bring myself to drive too much outside the Pale:D So I was wondering could you give me some reasons (as Im thinking of going to Cork for the first time on holidays) as to whats good about Cork and what there is to do there. Cheers:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

You'll learn a whole new language :D
    Dont get into a taxi.... you'll use the new language.

Cant help much with Cork. Moved back down here a while bac from Dublin and dont see the sights as much as I did years ago.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Ger's Deli...

The best reason to ever visit Cork.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Bamboozled wrote:
    You'll learn a whole new language :D
    Dont get into a taxi.... you'll use the new language.

Cant help much with Cork. Moved back down here a while bac from Dublin and dont see the sights as much as I did years ago.

I actually dont know anything really about Cork. I know Kinsale is suppose to be a nice place. Is that near Cork city? Whats the 'new language'!? :)

Faith wrote:
    Ger's Deli...

So visit cork for the cuisine?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

The cuisine is supposedly better here. Plus you have the lovely accent. The south coast is scenic...

• Advertisement

Kinsale is a small drive from the City. Its about half an hour out without traffic. Kinsale is ok, but very busy. Quite a tourist town so be prepared for a lot of people and traffic.

New language isnt really anything. You just start singing :D

The cuisine is great. Proper homecooked type stuff like trotters and tongue and tripe and drisheen :D

Bamboozled wrote:
    Kinsale is a small drive from the City. Its about half an hour out without traffic. Kinsale is ok, but very busy. Quite a tourist town so be prepared for a lot of people and traffic.

New language isnt really anything. You just start singing :D

The cuisine is great. Proper homecooked type stuff like trotters and tongue and tripe and drisheen :D

Yeah I am thinking about Kinsale. It sounds like a good spot. Dont wanna get caught up in a tourist trap though:rolleyes: The food up here is muck:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

You could go quad biking in kinsale.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

you can go to the beach. i hear the dublin ones let you grow additional limbs if you venture intot he water...

there's a million blue flag beaches about cork. nice for walking and swimming and building sandcastle fortresses

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Fred Zeppelins!
    Coolest pub ever
    Followed by a healthy serving of Hillbillys chicken!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

aww man, hill billy's rules!

id prefer preachers for pintage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

If you like Dublin you should love cork.
    Also:
    Water sports - surfing canoeing etc.
    Scenery - Mizen head, sheeps head and beara peninsullas just as beautiful as you will find in ireland.
    best pubs in eire - fionn barras, tom barrys, sin e, oval, bodega etc.
    Much better city to walk around and shop in all main streets are close together in a Manhattan style island- sort off.
    great day trips - kinsale, clonakilty, killarney, baltimore, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

Balmed Out wrote:
    shop in all main streets are close together in a Manhattan style island- sort off.
    :D:D:D:D
    never quite heard it described as that!
    Cork : The Irish New York!

Balmed Out wrote:
    If you like Dublin you should love cork.
    Also:
    Water sports - surfing canoeing etc.
    Scenery - Mizen head, sheeps head and beara peninsullas just as beautiful as you will find in ireland.
    best pubs in eire - fionn barras, tom barrys, sin e, oval, bodega etc.
    Much better city to walk around and shop in all main streets are close together in a Manhattan style island- sort off.

'manhatten style Island' - That I do know is wierd about Cork - The centre is built on a sort of Island. Think I will go to Kinsale, can always travel into Cork from there im sure. Sounds cool:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Strictly speaking, it is an island. I went into the Cork Vision Centre (see "City Within A City") today and saw the scale model of Cork, which gives a chance to see if for yourself. Well worth a look. Wouldn't fancy the art in there at the moment, but each to their own.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Great things about Cork - not sure how old you are or what you're looking for but ...........

Apart from the shopping - and face it if your'e from the Pale, you don't care about the shops - but the Crawford Art Gallery, The Vision Centre, The Cork City Caol Museum, The Butter Exchange/Shandon, the new Observatory at Blackrock, Fitzgerald's Park - Museum and many other galleries, always loads of exhibitions going on.

If you're here for the end of June - Midsummer Festival - check up website www.corkfestival.com - loads happening - theatre/arts/music.

Further out - as already mentioned Kinsale (Gourmet/Seafood place to go) or just stroll around the town, head on to Charles Fort.

There's Crosshaven - lovely seaside village and home of Royal Cork Yacht Club and in July it's hosting Cork Week (hundreds of sailing boats in and racing), at the Yacht Club - brilliant atmosphere, loads of marquees/bands at the Club and throughout the village. (Lots of nearby beaches to)

Or go down to Cobh, wander the streets, catch the walking Tour every day at about 11.00, brilliant local Historian Michael Martin he gives you all the history/Titanic Trail - it's fascinating. Also there's a heritage centre in Cobh. And lots of pubs. Nearby, Fota Island - visit the Wildlife Park, very relaxing/fun - not like your usual zoo environment. It's lovely to catch the Cork/Cobh train and stop at Fota for a few hours, stroll the grounds alongside the Giraffes and other wandering animals. Then pop into Fota House for a coffee/cake and go through the grounds of Fota House. (Then continue your journey to Cobh or vice versa).

There are beautiful beaches to the East - Garryvoe, - near Ballycotton or White Bay - near Roches Point Lighthouse. Or check out the Trabolgan Centre nearby for leisure activities.

I haven't even touched on the West - i.e. Clonakilty/Bantry/Skibbereen - ah where to start.

Between the coastline/festivals/theatre/restaurants/history/galleries etc. why would you want to go anywhere but Cork. trust me - the Pale is just a big city and it's really losing its identity - Cork is Cork. Plan that trip now, you'll have a ball. J

Judes wrote:
    Great things about Cork - not sure how old you are or what you're looking for but ...........

Apart from the shopping - and face it if your'e from the Pale, you don't care about the shops - but the Crawford Art Gallery, The Vision Centre, The Cork City Caol Museum, The Butter Exchange/Shandon, the new Observatory at Blackrock, Fitzgerald's Park - Museum and many other galleries, always loads of exhibitions going on.

If you're here for the end of June - Midsummer Festival - check up website www.corkfestival.com - loads happening - theatre/arts/music.

Further out - as already mentioned Kinsale (Gourmet/Seafood place to go) or just stroll around the town, head on to Charles Fort.

There's Crosshaven - lovely seaside village and home of Royal Cork Yacht Club and in July it's hosting Cork Week (hundreds of sailing boats in and racing), at the Yacht Club - brilliant atmosphere, loads of marquees/bands at the Club and throughout the village. (Lots of nearby beaches to)

Or go down to Cobh, wander the streets, catch the walking Tour every day at about 11.00, brilliant local Historian Michael Martin he gives you all the history/Titanic Trail - it's fascinating. Also there's a heritage centre in Cobh. And lots of pubs. Nearby, Fota Island - visit the Wildlife Park, very relaxing/fun - not like your usual zoo environment. It's lovely to catch the Cork/Cobh train and stop at Fota for a few hours, stroll the grounds alongside the Giraffes and other wandering animals. Then pop into Fota House for a coffee/cake and go through the grounds of Fota House. (Then continue your journey to Cobh or vice versa).

There are beautiful beaches to the East - Garryvoe, - near Ballycotton or White Bay - near Roches Point Lighthouse. Or check out the Trabolgan Centre nearby for leisure activities.

I haven't even touched on the West - i.e. Clonakilty/Bantry/Skibbereen - ah where to start.

Between the coastline/festivals/theatre/restaurants/history/galleries etc. why would you want to go anywhere but Cork. trust me - the Pale is just a big city and it's really losing its identity - Cork is Cork. Plan that trip now, you'll have a ball. J

Cheers, goin down in a months time. Will try and pack as much in as possible. Thanks again:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fool 5000

Eh lad did anyone mention the old Jameson distellery in Midleton .It has the worlds biggest still with a capacity of 31618 gallons :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

darkman2 wrote:
    Now we all know Dublin is the centre of the universe but as a Dub I cannot bring myself to drive too much outside the Pale:D So I was wondering could you give me some reasons (as Im thinking of going to Cork for the first time on holidays) as to whats good about Cork and what there is to do there. Cheers:D

no reason for a person who i is so proud of coming from the "Pale" to come down to the rebel county.... stay in Dumpland nothing to see in the peoples republic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Nina_Angelica

Faith wrote:
    Ger's Deli...

Slightly off topic here but...where is it located in Cork?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

MacCurtain Street, down past Spar.

no reason for a person who i is so proud of coming from the "Pale" to come down to the rebel county.... stay in Dumpland nothing to see in the peoples republic...

Do I detect jealousy in this post...'bhoy'.....:D

Someone has a chip on their shoulder eh?

Anyway Im going to Cork because its a nice place...end of..:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

If you like decent junk food try out Lennox's while you're here. Best chipper in the country imho. :)

As for the "pale" thing, eh, what's to be jealous of? The overcrowding or the sky high prices? :p

nesf wrote:
    If you like decent junk food try out Lennox's while you're here. Best chipper in the country imho. :)

As for the "pale" thing, eh, what's to be jealous of? The overcrowding or the sky high prices? :p

Dublin's ten times the size of Cork, Corks a village in comparison. Dublin = only real city in Ireland and the one true Capital. I think alot of ppl would go to Cork to get away from the big rush for a few days. Of course I dont mean Cork is small in a bad way. In my veiw thats probrably one of its best attributes:p

Yeah but... we still have ... fields :p

:D

Bamboozled wrote:
    Yeah but... we still have ... fields :p

:D

Still agricultural eh?;)

darkman2 wrote:
    Dublin's ten times the size of Cork, Corks a village in comparison. Dublin = only real city in Ireland and the one true Capital. I think alot of ppl would go to Cork to get away from the big rush for a few days. Of course I dont mean Cork is small in a bad way. In my veiw thats probrably one of its best attributes:p

Yeah I find Dublin's size annoys me most. It's crowded 24/7. That suits some people, but personally I just find it annoying whenever I'm there tbh.

nesf wrote:
    Yeah I find Dublin's size annoys me most. It's crowded 24/7. That suits some people, but personally I just find it annoying whenever I'm there tbh.

I dont mind it but then again im use to it. I dunno what it is but when I drive to Galway I feel im going back in time, the same when I go to the north:rolleyes:

darkman2 wrote:
    I dont mind it but then again im use to it. I dunno what it is but when I drive to Galway I feel im going back in time, the same when I go to the north:rolleyes:

Oh and the aggressiveness of people in Dublin, especially the beggars and knackers. Bloody annoying when outside Heuston station and you're constantly being bugged for a smoke or money.

Good shopping though. There's nothing to compare here for the bookshops yee have. :(

• Advertisement

nesf wrote:
    Oh and the aggressiveness of people in Dublin, especially the beggars and knackers. Bloody annoying when outside Heuston station and you're constantly being bugged for a smoke or money.

Good shopping though. There's nothing to compare here for the bookshops yee have. :(

Personally ive never really had a problem in Dublin. Obviously because of its size the no go areas are more pronounced. You have to use common sense but its the same in any other big city. Maybe Cork is just more tight nit? There are parts of Dublin (mostly on the southside) where you will rarely encounter any of the knackers on the northside:)

Not that all N-siders are knackers btw, im a northsider myself.

Advertisement