Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf as business

Options
  • 25-05-2006 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

We're decided to set up a business here based on golf and using the latest technology to help golfers improve their game, it's going well and we're making good inroads but the take up is very slow and its eating into our capital at an alarming rate, I'm sure it's down to marketing which is very expensive and time consuming, it's a fantastic product and the only one in the country, how can we develop the business without spending a fortune on marketing:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Get your name out there.

Whats the name of the company or business.

What can you do for a golfer who hits 21 over par consistently.

Show the average joe golfer the benefits, every golfer likes to win a turkey around christmas.

Maybe look at your marketing strategy.

Place - Golf clubs
    Price - Discounts for group buys, corporate events, special offers, gift vouchers.
    Promotion - Golf Clubs again and shops
    Product - User friendly, easy to transport, looks good, good presentation.

How can you improve each of these at a low cost no even no cost.

Everyone has there own ideas hopefully you will gain some from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

IMHO,

a) put some of your remaining capital cash into a small, but well thought out and classy looking <insert marketing student terminology here> brochure
    b) set up simple, one pager but similar to a) web page with contact details - and as previous post - some success stories.

Both above should be really clear on - what someone will get for their hard earned cash (as in from h-cap of 18 to 9) - and how your product works.

My advice is after that - shelve the marketing money for the time being - and walk into every pro shop in every golf course you can between october and february (you can do it now but all the pro's are up to their eyes at this time of the year). During those months you'll probably have their attention - getting a portfolio of clubs supporting or advocating your product can go on a nice list on the web site or new set of brochures and the pro's may allow one to be placed on their club boards etc. Better still - write to their club captains and ask them to come along for free sample of your product (Ive no idea if thats possible since Ive no idea of the product) - if one of em like it an talk about it back at the club thats better than posting 100 fliers ... and a damn site cheaper

From the little I know there are literally thousands of golf related products available to help improve your game - in the same way there are thousands of coaches giving lessons - the really good products / coaches that make the most cash dont spend lots of cash on marketing but on word of mouth.

Ive had some ideas about doing this for other sports but never got around to it .... admire anyone for having a go so very best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

Thanks for the help, I was thinking about the brochure idea and think it may be the way forward also advertising, it's here we get into serious money and the word of mouth thing is very important, what surprises me is that when people see the product they say how great it is yet the take up is very slow, I guess we're expecting to walk before we can stand up at all!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Man, you need to hit every golf club in Ireland with a an hour 2 showing it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

What about promotions with Radio stations etc, for instance sponser the Sports Quiz on Today FM, all you'd have to do is put up a prize and get excellent exposure. What about partnerships with companies like Pigsback.com? You could give discounts to members or run competitions through them.

I think it's also fairly important to have a website, preferably with an easy to remember URL.

• Advertisement

We have a website and we promote a lot via e-mail and telesales, we haven't tried radio yet or a big promo like you suggest and it might well work wonders and is a great idea, don't get me wrong here, we're making headway but are surprised it's a slow as it is and expected to be a lot busier, money is all over the place but we're not getting it, is it because we're not Dublin based??,

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

what is the website address so we can have a look.

Personally i think there are 100s of golf products out there all offering great advice and vast improvements.

Can you offer free trials or money back gurrantee. If you can get the club professional involved then u are on a winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 allnamesgone

Hi,
    I'm very interested in this thread as I will be faced with similar issues in a short time ( nothing to do with golf ). Why don't you get your site mentioned on this board ? Join online golf forums, etc

Allnamesgone

This thread is already giving us some great material to work with and giving us the impetus to move it along - club pros are hard people to deal with and take a lot of convincing and a lot of the time it's too new for them to deal with- the radio promo is a great idea and a new brochure is also one we'll do, I'm still of the opinion we need to advertise and I don't think we can get away from it.:eek:

This thread is already giving us some great material to work with and giving us the impetus to move it along - club pros are hard people to deal with and take a lot of convincing and a lot of the time it's too new for them to deal with- the radio promo is a great idea and a new brochure is also one we'll do, I'm still of the opinion we need to advertise and I don't think we can get away from it.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

Exactly go as the 4 ps say. Its worth while spending a bit on marketing, people need to know and when they do roll in the dough

What we'll try and do is combine some of the best features of this thread e.g., maybe some radio and a brochure but we need to set aside funds for this and start there, if anyone wants to have a look at our website and maybe put up other ideas it would be great, www.golfswingpro.ie, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Its a nice idea for a product. The website is a bit low rent though it gets the job done.

I'd try and get and target your actual market instead of a scattergun approach to everyone. I'd try and get adverts in all the golf clubs newsletters, and be visible in all driving ranges, pitch & put and golf clubs. I'd also look to the traditional media like newspaper ads, golfing magazines etc. and ads on other golfing websites. Contact companies that do corporate events and see if you can tie in somehow. Trade shows and exhibitions etc.

I'm glad you think its a good product because when you see it live you'll think it's a great product, the graphics are superb and the swing analysis feature is really accurate and useful - this will help bring down your handicap and give you hours of fun as well -

what I can say is that's it's not an easy business to be in, it's interesting and fun but not easy, that's the challenge and maybe that's why we went into it.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Can you get yourself to the RyderCup?
    Also a stand at the Irish Open etc would be good.
    Find where some Irish inter club competitions are being played and go there.
    They are full of spectators of average handicaps, go mad and make it dirst cheap until you get the punters in.
    People wont take a risk on something if its super expensive (I know its good value for what you get, but its a risk compared to go-karting for example)

We do expect to be at the Ryder Cup with the product but the Irish Open fell through on us this year although we hope to be there next year if it isn't at Carton House, some other events also fell through so now we're thinking about promotion again.

You've hit the nail on the head with cost, this is new and the perception is it's going to cost an arm and a leg to have it for a day but the reality is it doesn't....this product is great fun, helps improve your game through the swing analysis feature, has fantastic graphics and draws a crowd around it....hit real golf balls at a 10'x10' hitting screen using real golf clubs - it's great fun and it's an impressive sight also however it's very new and therefore an unknown quantity.:)

Advertisement