Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wake on lan

• 25-05-2006 6:51pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

me again,

have wake on lan enable in bios but is there anyhting I need to do in my folder settings etc

I know there is a setting "awake on directed packet" to start mce out of S3 but cannot find ???

thx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

That should be all you need.

Then you just need a little app that can send the WOL 'magic packet'

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

just to mention - its a wireless conection from pc to mce machine.

Might be impossible afaik.

The wireless card generally isnt powered when the PC is in standby, unless you have a mobo with built in wireless even then not always.

Wired is a much easier way to go. Look into Homeplug if you cant get a ethernet cable near your htpc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

thx - wil be going wired thru cat5 over next 3 weeks with new ext being finished.

thx for the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I did this some time ago and use a 3com network card ... you will need a 3 wire connection between the WOL connector on the pci card and mother board, this supplies power to the pci card because when the pc in in standby there is no power getting to the pci slots afaik ...

there are several free utilities out there to ping the magic packet to the target machine ...

• Advertisement

BigEejit wrote:
    3com network card ...

Was that a wired or wireless card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

It was a 100mb wired card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

I know on my mobo there's a connector for a WOL which must be connected up to the network card for WOL to work.

Advertisement