Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Query about selling a car on UK plates.

Options
  • 25-05-2006 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hey
    I bought a car in sept 05 which is on UK plates.( private sale and he said he'd knock the amt it would cost to vrt it off the price)

Turned out it needed one thing done to it and from sheer lazyness of myself and a friend of mine its only fixed now.

Here is the catch, Im going travelling in 3 weeks for a year and I need to sell it.

Its still on UK plates and I never sent off the change of owner form to the UK ( cos it was sitting idle in my drive).

Whats my best option, Can I sell it while its on UK plates and if so how? Or should I reg it here and then sell it, It works perfectly now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You can sell it on UK plates. Have a look at the VRO website, get a quote for VRT and state the amount in your ad. You could register it here first, but your name would then be on the logbook, so one extra owner.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

what car is it mate??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Anan1 wrote:
    You can sell it on UK plates. Have a look at the VRO website, get a quote for VRT and state the amount in your ad. You could register it here first, but your name would then be on the logbook, so one extra owner.

Are you allowed sell a car that quickly after registering it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 JTheViper

Its a 1982 Mini Mayfair with a 1990 cooper engine.
    I wanted it for a weekend car but I dont qualify for classic car ins cos im under 25 so it would cost 1.5K to insure hence the lack of urgency to get it driving again.

I had a look at the DVLA website and im gonna reg it in my name and then sell it prob if that can be done in 3 weeks, if not I can sell it without the reg form but give the new buyer a replacement form which they can send off to reg their ownership and then put it on irish plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

JTheViper wrote:
    Its a 1982 Mini Mayfair with a 1990 cooper engine.
    I wanted it for a weekend car but I dont qualify for classic car ins cos im under 25 so it would cost 1.5K to insure hence the lack of urgency to get it driving again.

I had a look at the DVLA website and im gonna reg it in my name and then sell it prob if that can be done in 3 weeks, if not I can sell it without the reg form but give the new buyer a replacement form which they can send off to reg their ownership and then put it on irish plates.

I'd say the VRT on that car will be quite low, and you may find a good few enthusiasts who would be interested, or know someone who is. It's not easy to find minis that age around, so you may get a quick sale.

Find out how much it will cost to register over here, and discount your price by that amount. Google for mini clubs in Ireland to see if anyone is interested, and if you are stuck also look up "Rodney Evans Motors" in Delgany. He used to rally minis, and his son still does - I would say they would know someone who would be interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

If you have the V5 of the car you can sell it on the uk plates. But nobody will buy it on uk plates if you cant give them the V5(logbook).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

eoin_s wrote:
    Are you allowed sell a car that quickly after registering it?

Sure, as long as you've paid the duty. If you bring in a car on a change of residence then you have to keep it for a year (or pay the VRT).

Advertisement